DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Overheated this morning....

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  goatman65 
#1 ·
so over the weekend, I topped off the anti-freeze. I noticed it was a little low, been smelling some fluid and the heat was not where it should be..

Filled her up all was good. took a 30 mile trip last night, all seemed fine, the heater came back to where it was pumping hot air like it should. It had seemed rather weak before, so I thought the level was low and was causing the issue.. I used the orange colored dex-cool as that was the same as was in the engine. Keep in mind, I have had the truck since Christmas... bought it used 2002, 4.7 ltr, 130K... went through the hard part of winter already..

This morning, on the way in to the office, I see the temp creeping upwards, but no heat on the inside. I make it to the parking lot with the gauge showing at 75%... Has never hit 50% before. It was oh, 20 degrees for a low last night, and there was plenty of anti-freeze in the system.

Once in the parking lot, I have steam coming from the right side of the radiator... looks like where the plastic and metal come together. Looks like the anti-freeze has been leaking alot, as the engine has a lot of fluid on it.

So, why would all be fine for days after topping it off? did I just blow the radiator? is there a pressure issue? Is the thermostat stuck?

Thanks for input/ideas..
Goatman

See less See more
#2 ·
These trucks seem to have problems with the seams where the plastic end caps meet the aluminum coils. Also common is for them to block up if the cooling system hasnt been maintained religiously. If you havent done so already, a flush of the cooling system wouldnt be a bad idea as the 4.7 liter doesnt take to kind to heat at all, and shows that to you with busted head gaskets. If your gauge never made it to the red you should be okay though.

Oh and btw, Dex Cool IS NOT what is in our engines. We need an HOAT type formula, that in my area is only available at the Dodge house, or Napa under the Zerex G-05 name.

#6 ·
filled her up, and is a definite leak.. at the plastic cap.

Never made it to the red area of the gauge.. going to fill 'er up and limp home.. looks like a flush is due.. after the radiator is replaced..
Yeah its best to replace the radiator when that starts happening. I nursed mine along for a year and it blew on me one day. Thankfully I was in the parking lot at work and had a place to park it before it got too hot. Its a fairly easy job. You might want to replace the thermostat as well as any questionable hoses while you will have the system drained. The proper stuff for these trucks is not cheap and it would suck to have a hose go a couple months down the line.

#5 ·
Fluidyne makes a nice aftermarket replacement. Not too expensive, somewhere in the $200 range I believe, if you are wanting to upgrade that would be the way I would go. They have a Lifetime Warranty on their radiators and intercoolers.

#8 ·
replaced the Radiator... but...

Replaced the radiator and flushed the system.. Was able to find the G-05 at the local Car Quest @ $18 and change per gallon..

Before I could take the old rad to the recycled metal place, someone stole it and the old Ford radiator I had laying by the house.... very brave , (and lucky), soul....

Protected by Dan Wesson .357...

Goatman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.