DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Evaporator Coil Replace?

15K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bucksolid 
#1 ·
A dealership quoted a hefty price to replace the evaporator coil (and something else) ... all which reside under the dash.

Can anyone tell me what it should cost, or can it be done myself?

I've already had the compressor replaced last year to the tune of "a lot of money!"

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, 5.9 Cummins

#2 ·
Real pita to do yourself if your not very mechanically inclined. By going off of what I paid for the part and what the dealership normally charges, I would guess probably somewhere approaching $800 - $1,000. How far off am I? I say tackle it yourself, pita but very doable, beats paying dealership rates! I cracked my dashboard when I did mine so BE CAREFULL!

#3 ·
Ok guys. I finally got around to getting a "second opinion" on the problem. Turns out my front cooling core in the engine compartment and cooling core under the dash were completely plugged with leaves, grass seed, and debris. It wasn't the evaporator core at all ?!

Once removed and the system recharged and tested it runs great. While not a mechanic myself, I do appreciate a good one ... rare when you find them these days I guess?

Be very careful of dealership service departments ... any service departments for that matter. Do as much research as you can before you drop the big bucks!

I save about $1000 ... and learned something about my truck ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.