DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Heater problems

41K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Rolo Tahmasee 
G
#1 ·
I have preformed a radiator flush, changed the thermostate, and water pump.
I am no longer getting heat in the cab. Any thoughts?

I am freezing it is very cold in the morning please help someone.....

Dave

G
#15 ·
heater problem

its is a comom problem, I have 2003 and the plastic piece where the elec motor to controls the vent doors same on all three doors, gets striped the was a recall but short lived, recall not open any more. I replace the power door and piece my self in 1.5 hours, comes with 2 doors annd new section of upper box about $35 at dealer( the cut cost of part down because the fu k u in the labor 1000 to change and they know its there faulty part but the willnot open a recall) uppper controls defrost, ac vent feet all directional air flow. lower controls hot and cold. upper is a 8.5 hr job at dodge I tryed it and there is just way to much stuff to take apert unless u in a heated garage. i spent 5 hrs with help and still did not finish.
good luck u can email me with ?:att::att::att:

G
#8 ·
I joined this forum because I am looking for a solution to the same problem. 2002 1500 blows cold air. I just had the heater core replaced and still get very little heat. The radiator and thermostate was also recently replaced. A lot of money spent and very little heat.

G
#9 ·
New here also. I have a 03 Ram 1500 4.7 with little to no heat also. Replaced all normal stuff. Radiator, water pump, thermostat and removed heater core and that looked fine. Didn't replace it because nobody had one in stock. It wasn't clogged and was not leaking. Both hoses going into heater core are at same temp. Removed new water pump and visualy checked it and it seems fine. Removed dash and checked blend doors and no broken or cracked doors. Should be no air pockets. We vac filled rad last night.
Any Ideas would be great.
Oh another wierd thing the temp gauge sits at half. If we hold idle up to 3k it comes down to 1/4 within seconds.
Thanks. Bryan

G
#11 ·
the rams are infamous for having the recirc door break and that causes the door to hang half way down causing warm air and ouside air to come in i can almost gurantee thats the problem drop your blower motor 3 screws and reach in there and see if u can move that door if so its broke. i know this b/c i work for chrysler jeep dodge. and we do them all the time

G
#12 ·
Update.....heat is blowing hot......Good thing its gonna be -20 tonight. After alot of back and forth it was the heater core. It stumped us because both hoses where hot going into the heater core. After I pulled the old one out I cut the sides off it and you can only see thru 7 of the tubes......Good luck to everyone else that has no heat and I hope this helps.
If you need any more info email me at rrockdriver@yahoo.com
Good luck and stay warm
Bryan

#13 ·
having same problem. Just bought a used 02 ram and only getting luke warm heat from the heater on full warm. I can hear lots of air, maybe turbulence from a broken door in the heater core/blower, in the passenger footwell, but no good heat from vents. No bueno

Will check into the "broken door" theory.

G
#14 ·
I went round and round with this problem.....The heater core had only a few cooling tubes not clogged. Thats enough to circulate but not heat. When i cut it open and looked at it there def was no chance for it to heat. There are like 30 tubes total.

G
#17 ·
If I am not mistaken and I may very well the door that separates the heater core from the ac or outside air is vacuum actuated. If so the actuator could be faulty or you could have a vacuum, line disconnected. Just my 2 cents

#18 ·
hello all, i was wondering if anyone had any answer as to what is causing all this heater issue, i have an 02 ram and like many, replaced the core, radiator and they even repleced the junction door, and still it gets heat on the passenger side, but not the driver side, and in the rockies now i need some heat!!!

#19 ·
Not sure model of Ram you have . So this is a swing in the dark . If you could go to the top of the page to the User Cp and complete your profile that would be great . Helps us see what you have when your posting a question . Sounds like you have a piece of ductwork detached or another door for the driver side has failed to open .

#20 ·
No HEAT.. TRY THESE THINGS

#1. on the 5.9 and 5.2 they both require 5 gallons of antifreeze, make sure if you've flushed the system there is 5 gallons or 20 quarts.
#2. If your over 100k check the following, waterpump, radiator, thermostat, lines and leaks! Ensure there is no coolant in your oil, around your inside oil cap or under the valve covers. Very important you do not have a head gasket issue.
#3. Check to ensure you do not need a headgasket on either bank 1 or 2.
#4. If you've changed everything and are still experiencing no heat or little luke warm heat do the following:
most likely there is air in the system if your heater core is gurgling when you push the gas in fast acceleration. If this is the case you'll hear it in the cab.
#5 Low antifreeze with cause this, and no there is not a bleeder valve on either system for these trucks.
#6. QUICK FIX: cut the bank 1 heater core line about 1 foot before the intake back to the water pump.
#7. Buy a brass 3 way shut off valve with 3 brass 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch fittings. Put on teflon tape, and thread the fittings onto the valve. You will need to buy this valve most likely on line or at a specialty plumbing store.
#8. add some 5/8 heater pipe to the bypass ( or up valve). Attach it to a 1/2 gallon funnel.
# 9 Fill the funnel with coolant, start the truck, shut the valve so that the new coolant will be sucked into the water pump, make sure it does not exceed 5 gallons or 20 quarts. Turn the valve back to open, remove the extension to the funnel, problem solved. Turn up your heat and it should be very hot when the truck comes up to temp. You have just drove all of the antifreeze into the system. You also now have a air control valve on your sytem for future needs and you will most likely solve your heater core problem.
#10. This is the trick if you've flushed, changed the thermostat, hear gurgling or it just did not take the 5 gallons of antifreeze. Most people will tell you it only took 3.5 gallons, well there is your problem, these trucks are great until you need to add coolant. Even burping the system is a bitch. This is the way to force in the antifreeze and force it to belch all at once while destroying your cold cabin problems.
#11. If you have not tried all of the following there is a youtube video of a guy in canada that did a similar thing as I described however this way: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gSwbuJHHXM
My way as explained is a sure proof, much easier, fast way to fix this problem after you've flushed the heater core, added a new radiator and water pump and just do not want to rip out your dash, when in the long run it is low on coolant and you have to force feed it in!! This is the 99.9% reason for almost all of the dodges I've seen. Make it drink the coolant, you should not have to burp it like a 3 month old. You would think the designers would build the system this way from the beginning but hey thats why they are engineers and not mechanics!! Cheers to all I hope this helps.

#22 ·
Ok, I took my pickup for a test drive on the highway and notice it took a long time for the engine temp to come up, then when it did it went above the normal range. So I thought maybe vapor-lock, so I parked along side the road with the passenger side well above the driver side and with a rag slowly opened the radiator cap a number of times to burp the air from the system, got back in and hot air finally hot air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.