DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2004 Ram hvac/mode knob not working...help!

31K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Andrewsky 
G
#1 ·
What can cause the 'mode' or 'hvac' control dial/knob to stop working on the dash of my 2004 Ram 2500? No matter what I select with the knob, all I get is air blowing out of the upper air ducts. The heat and AC both work, but I cannot get any air coming out of the bottom floor vents or defrost ducts.

The blower motor switch and temperature control switch still work.

Can somebody give me any insight or steer me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
St. Louis, MO

#2 ·
well it sounds like you have a blend door broken, or an actuator broken. if it is a blend door, youll have to have the whole dash taken out to gain access to the hvac box and replace the door.
try turning the truck on , but dont start the engine. the hvac box is behind the glovebox. turn the selector knob and get down there and listen to hear if the blend doors are moving or not.

#3 ·
ditto, on the problem with an '03 2500. After paying dealer $100 to tell me it's going to take $500 to remove dash to look, Will attempt myself eventually, but concerned about air bag deployment. But no floor air or defroster air, so it looks like the dash may have to be removed on mine.

G
#5 ·
Last time I pulled my airbags, to install some shifter paddles on the Chrysler, I unhooked the battery and let it sit for about 20 minutes while I pulled out the center console and some underdash trim.

When I got back to pulling the airbag, no issues. It was probably more time than needed but it certainly guaranteed I wouldn't get a face full of airbag! LOL

Shifter paddles, you ask? Here...check them out:

G
#6 ·
What a nightmare, I am in the proccess of installing all four new doors in the heater box. I have the dash and all this plastic in my back seat. It is not difficult to take apart just time consumming. Use a paint pen to mark were the screws are removed, place a dot on the plastic next to the screw hole. There are about 60 7mm screws.

#8 ·
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else is having this problem, here is the solution:
http://www.heatertreater.net/
I found and used these on my '03 before I sold it. Worked like a charm. It just so happened that the guy who makes them was located near where I live so I was able to pick them up in person and talk to him about them a bit.
The install itself is not bad. Unless you want to pull the dash apart and remove the airbox, cutting the access holes under the dash is a real PITA but well worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.