DODGE RAM FORUM banner

AC issue

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  inkboy 
#1 ·
OK, first question as a member of the site - and yes, I did search first. I found 1 thread that's similar but not the same.

Just bought a 2004 QC 2500 6spd w/220k on it. Picked it up in FL and drove it to Pgh, PA on Saturday. Loved that Cummins on the hills. Not a bad truck, and doesn't seem mistreated.

Anyway, when started the AC comes on strong, cold and lots of velocity. The AC stays that way for at least 30-45min I'd guess. After a bit, however, the fan slows down and it seems not as "cold". Even set to recirc at the highest fan setting, no change. Engine temp stays normal. No noises, nothing. If I shut the truck off for even a minute or two, then restart it's back to full blast air. Shutting the air off and turning back on has no effect. Behavior did not change during the 820 mile trip back. Pretty much ran the truck for a solid 12 hours.

Anybody have any quick ideas? Thanks!

#4 ·
OK, so let me make sure I'm understanding. When started, air blows ice cold and at high volume for a while. After a while (30 min or more) fan slows WAY down. If I stop, and shut the truck down for 3 minutes for example, then restart it air is ice cold with fan at high speed again.

If low refrigerant caused evaporator to freeze, wouldn't it take a good bit more than a few minutes to thaw out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.