Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : Best superchip tune settings

Capt JJ
01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey. I haven't posted in a while. Been real busy. A little update on my situation: I have a 2004 ram 1500 4x4 with the 4.7 liter. the only mods I have are a cold air intake and magnaflow dual exhaust. I have a superchips Flashpag tuner. I have tried the Mileage XS, 87 octane, and Performance tunes. My main objection is better mpg. the Xs tune helped a little but I found it had a decrease in power from stock. The Performance tune had noticeably better power, but no gain in mpg. I got the best with the 87 octane. Went from 13 to 15 mpg. How long should I try each setting? I only tried the Performance and xs for about 100 miles each. Also, any suggestions on adjustments on the options settings (rev limiter,speed limiter,shift points) for the 87 Octane and Performance tunes. At the present, the options are all at stock on the 87 octane. Thank you'll in advance for any advice.

CdnoilRAM
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Your numbers seem low for the 4.7L, so I'm at a lost if you've tried the xs with the exhaust and CAI. Have you tried a seafoam clean and cleaning your throttle body? Aside from that, I don't have much else if you cany get any higher mileage than that.

chithead
01-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Might want to try a whole tank. The computer may need time between settings to readjust some things for more accurate readings.

Capt JJ
01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
I've never got more than 13 mpg before. I had a complete tune up: new plugs, injectors cleaned recently. I might try the Mileage xs for longer to see if I get better. What kind of mileage others getting with this truck? Anyone with any ideas on the options settings.

LSxFBODYgen3
01-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I have a 06 ram(see profile) and I get 14 in the winter and 16 in the summer. That is all city driving tho. Best ive seen is 19 on the thruway for long distance.

I will note that the ONLY mods done to my truck are a grille guard(added weight might have a negative effect on mileage); also have a trifold tonneau cover(claims it helps gas mileage but i didnt buy it to save gas mileage so really havent payed attention to before and after)

Either way I know these trucks arent good on gas but who buys a truck and expects it to give you 30mpg...well besides those guys that buy a honda "truck".

Either way it seems like you are a little on the low side. Might be something small thats affecting gas mileage. It could be wrong tire pressure, slightly dragging brakes, slightly bad wheel bearings.

As far as the tuner...id love to help you but I dont have a tuner yet. Thinking about getting one soon tho. Just seems like alot of money to me.

City Slicker
01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I used the Mileage XS setting on my 07 4.7L and got an average of 16.7 MPG (hand calculated), driving very conservatively. I also have cooled air intake, exhaust, and throttle body spacer.

euromade
01-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I used the Mileage XS setting on my 07 4.7L and got an average of 16.7 MPG (hand calculated), driving very conservatively. I also have cooled air intake, exhaust, and throttle body spacer.

I have an 05 with 4.7 and would like to get a tune to do something about the shiftpoints. Also would like to know what tuner would allow for tire size adjustment. I like the truck but its factory shift points are redicilous. It alway shift to low rpm. Would superships resolve this?

I think my truck came with 245 75 17s and now I have 285 75 17s...it would be nice to get this adjusted~
Thanks a bunch!

City Slicker
01-19-2010, 09:19 PM
I have an 05 with 4.7 and would like to get a tune to do something about the shiftpoints. Also would like to know what tuner would allow for tire size adjustment. I like the truck but its factory shift points are redicilous. It alway shift to low rpm. Would superships resolve this?

I think my truck came with 245 75 17s and now I have 285 75 17s...it would be nice to get this adjusted~
Thanks a bunch!

I have the Superchips Cortex. With it, you can do everything you just mentioned. You can change your shift points and tire size in a very simple manner. Basically all you have to do is plug it in and follow like 3 or 4 links from the main menu and your done. The programmer does all the work, you just have to hit a couple buttons, it does not take long at all.

JCBSGIXXER
01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
-new to the truck world- I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi w/ Flowmaster super 44's after cat single in dual out. drove it around and couldn't figure out why it sounded like crap when I was at a steady speed... i didn't know that it dropped cylinders, so i've been driving with the overdrive off for crusing around town and keeping it on, on the highyway. is there anyway to get rid of the 4-6-8 (whatever you call it)? Also was going to get the superchip... but heard a rumor that it could mess the computer up and throw on dash lights. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Capt JJ
01-21-2010, 06:58 AM
I'm going to try the Mileage Xs setting again and run it for a couple tanks of gas. I have the Flashpaq and you can change settings for tire size and the shift points, also. Very easy to do. As far as problems, I've had mine for 3 or 4 months, the only problem I encountered was my cruise control turning off while using it a couple of times. It would not come back on until I turned truck off then back on. DSPTYWCADETO9 , what settings are you using with you're Cortex? Are you getting better fuel mileage? Still looking for anyone who might use a Superchips, and the settings they are using. Thanks

City Slicker
01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm going to try the Mileage Xs setting again and run it for a couple tanks of gas. I have the Flashpaq and you can change settings for tire size and the shift points, also. Very easy to do. As far as problems, I've had mine for 3 or 4 months, the only problem I encountered was my cruise control turning off while using it a couple of times. It would not come back on until I turned truck off then back on. DSPTYWCADETO9 , what settings are you using with you're Cortex? Are you getting better fuel mileage? Still looking for anyone who might use a Superchips, and the settings they are using. Thanks

I didn't mess with any of the settings. I tuned it to the Mileage XS and let it do its thing. There are improvements in the gas mileage, it went from 12-13 to 15-16. But it really does depend on your driving style. This winter gas is not helping either. I cant wait until the weather starts warming up so I can get some real-time MPG numbers.

Capt JJ
01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
DSPTYWCADETO9. Have you tried the other settings on you're tuner? I tried the 87 Octane and Performance tune also. I got the best mileage on the 87 octane, but I didn't use the Mileage XS for long. Did you see a immediate improvement or did it take awhile? You said that you have a throttle body spacer? What does this do? Did you do it yourself? Would this be a good mod for me?

City Slicker
01-21-2010, 10:05 PM
DSPTYWCADETO9. Have you tried the other settings on you're tuner? I tried the 87 Octane and Performance tune also. I got the best mileage on the 87 octane, but I didn't use the Mileage XS for long. Did you see a immediate improvement or did it take awhile? You said that you have a throttle body spacer? What does this do? Did you do it yourself? Would this be a good mod for me?

I tried the 87 Octane tune and definitely got more power, but the MPG improvements were not as good as the Mileage XS. I was really conservative on the gas pedal to try and squeeze out the best numbers. I have not tried the performance tune as of yet. I would say it takes some time to get good numbers. A throttle body spacer creates a larger area around the throttle body. This gives the throttle body a larger capacity for air intake, when the accelerator is pressed. When the throttle body valve opens, the throttle body spacer allows a greater amount of air to pass through the valve, increasing the power available to the truck. This improves the truck's energy efficiency, due to the fact that the air is readily available, so the truck does not need to expend effort to bring it to the throttle plate. I love mine, it makes a cool whistle sound when you hit the gas. Some people find it annoying, but I think it sounds great. I had mine professionally installed along with a AEM Brute Force Cooled Air Intake.

euromade
01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
I have the Superchips Cortex. With it, you can do everything you just mentioned. You can change your shift points and tire size in a very simple manner. Basically all you have to do is plug it in and follow like 3 or 4 links from the main menu and your done. The programmer does all the work, you just have to hit a couple buttons, it does not take long at all.
Thanks much...just ordered the 3865! If I could figure out the shift points alone, I'd be happy with the tuner.
Is there the thread somewhere explaining more about the shiftpoint settings in conjunction with the 3865?
Thanks...

Capt JJ
01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks. I'm going to try the Mileage xs tune when I get home from work next week. I'm going to leave it on xs for a few tanks of gas to see what it will do. Thanks for all the help DSPTYWCADETO9. EUROMADE. I haven't found nothing good on how to set the shift points. I even got on the Superchips makers forum. They said that a person should use the tuners preset options. Then once you see how it does, etc., then you can tinker with it to get it to your liking. But i will tell you that I find that the truck shifts alot smoother on the preset tunings than it did before. Hopefully someone will respond who could maybe help us both with this.

City Slicker
01-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks. I'm going to try the Mileage xs tune when I get home from work next week. I'm going to leave it on xs for a few tanks of gas to see what it will do. Thanks for all the help DSPTYWCADETO9. EUROMADE. I haven't found nothing good on how to set the shift points. I even got on the Superchips makers forum. They said that a person should use the tuners preset options. Then once you see how it does, etc., then you can tinker with it to get it to your liking. But i will tell you that I find that the truck shifts alot smoother on the preset tunings than it did before. Hopefully someone will respond who could maybe help us both with this.

You're right, the shifting points are much more smooth. I wish you the best of luck with everything and if you need anything else just give me a shout.

-Nick

Capt JJ
02-09-2010, 10:34 AM
I have my truck set to the Mileage Xs tune. I went back to work for two weeks, but I should be able to post the mileage I get with it in a couple of weeks.

youdontknowme1229
02-28-2010, 02:26 AM
I have a 07 1500 4.7 2wd with a superchips cortex. im very happy with all the tune setting, all do what they say they do, one thing i have notices is to see results quicker i reset the truck computer by disconnecting battery for about 5 min, i dont know how long it takes but 5 min seems to work, the computer learns your driving style. so with going from heavy footed 91 performance setting too light footed XS setting the computer has to learn your new driving style. reset it and it learns alot quicker.
As far as mpg this is what Ive seen. 91 setting city 11-15 . towing setting 9mpg but pulled my 3 quads up hills no problem. and XS with 87octane city 15-18. and stock city 12-16 number are worst and best i got with those setting and very little hwy driving and im a little heavy footed