DODGE RAM FORUM banner

A/c does not want to blow hard just cold

43K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  ExChev 
#1 ·
The problem that I'm having my ac blows cold but no matter where I turn myselector low, med, high it all comes out the same super low and makes me sweat like a pig in june... plz help I checked the ac levels with my gauges and it all works great but inside it blows low and barely at all, but the air is cole...Also I know the blower seems to be working bc I can hear it kick on all the way from low to high changing its speeds..

plz help I live in texas and its HOT as Hockey sticks

#7 ·
mother F**********. wow this blows I have had the truck for 2 months I think my dad got the better end of the trade some times...but regardless I heard mopar has a kit to fix this specific issue is that the best way to go or just buy it from a parts house? also any part numbers would be a great help

#11 ·
wow this is gonna suck but its so dang hot in texas.....so when I stick my hand up there how can i tell should it move freely or just be stck.. bc my problem is the blower blows on all levels properly and the thing changes from floor to def. to vents just fine it just does not seem to come out(blowing wise) properly bc it feels restricted.

#12 ·
the door above the motor is the recirculation door. it's job is to shut off the outside air and grab cold air from the cab to keep cool. start the truck and put the fan on high on regular ac, not recirculate. give it a minute and switch it to recirculated air - you should hear air moving different and the air should blow harder.

if it is the door not operating correctly it will be 25 for the part and around 5-1/2 to 6 hours of your time with a helper. it is a big job but not terribly hard within itself.
otherwise it is at least $400 from the dealer.

if you decide to tackle it, feel free to message me - i'll help you any way i can.

#15 ·
randy dont hold out on us man how could we do this that you are saying because I would love to atleaast try.

will send pm

#16 · (Edited)
Recirc blend door Cheap Quick fix.

Caution Caution Caution. Air bag wiring exposed once glove box door off. Do not activate that air bag. If you are concerned. pull ground off battery. I did not but be aware yellow wiring is air bag. Do not disturb.

A few days ago on my 2006 Ram same situation. Blowing cold like North Pole. Just would not come out vents in any volume. I have a Factory Manuel on disc. Pull your Glove box door off. Simple to do. Look up in the inlet thats now exposed. You can see the top of the door for indoor outdoor air blend. The drive motor on mine broke the plastic shaft on top of door. Unplug fan elec plug. 3 screws fan drops out of the way. I was able to put contact cement/glue on seal area all the way around door. Carefully reach up in there and place door on outside position and let it set over night. This will put in recirc 100% of time but solve problem in 30 min if this is the problem. The stub of the broken drive sticking out on left side. You will see through inlet. Get it out with a long screw driver to pop it out of its fit before glueing door inplace. When I get the new door next winter I will correctly fix. Florida Fort Pierce to damn hot right now. Other than a bad kink in my neck from odd body position too long. Cold AC blowing like a Hurricane. If you need instructions get back to me. Your Glove box door has sides that squeeze in to let it fold down towards floor. It then will lift off its bottom hinges. That simple. Get the fan down and big access hole for your hand. Door is all plastic with foam on both sides. You can look at door and where it goes to figure out its orintation. It needs to be glued on correct side and put in place in correct orintation to fit right and cover outside air inlet. Right side has a 1/4 inch round hinge that will fit into its hinge hole to locate door correctly, put up in place prior to glue, trial run, then, once figured out glue it and put in place. I put a measured piece of wood cut to fit and hold door tightly over night while glue set. Put fan Motor back on, pluged in, nice and cold. Cost, Kinked neck and 0 dollars so far. I came to site tonight just to research if this is common problem. Got my answer first search. Only problem in almost 5 yrs aint to bad. Stay Cool.

:LOL:

#17 ·
Broken Recirc door part location

Anybody that been through this no a source for a new recirc door. Not Factory if possible. I would like a better made door. Factory Service Manuel says no need to index drive motor. Electronic, will know when to stop. Yea after it fatigues and breaks molded drive post off door. Maybe Ill buy 2 when I locate. I think I can install through fan hole. Im going to try like hell before pulling dash apart. Next winter, not now. Good contact glue good stuff. Foam depressed all the way around where door seats. No doubt where to apply glue. Just get it on correct side to close off outside air. Door will only fit one way.
Thanks JP

:doh:

#19 ·
I just fixed a broken recirc door on my 06. Like others, my A/C was nice and cold but not blowing hard enough to cool the cab. So I googled the problem and found a quick fix. It took me just 15 mins.

Locate your blower directly underneath the glove box. Remove three screws and pull out the circular blower. Reach up inside the hole, you will probably find a foam covered door lying loose inside. The foam door is your recirc door. Wiggle it a bit so you can pull it out of the blower hole. Check your blower for any broken pieces from the recirc door and then reinstall the blower. Your A/C should be blowing like new. The only catch is from now on you will no longer have recirc available.

For me, I didn't want to pay 400 bucks or try to pull out the entire dash just to fix something that will eventually break again. Like I said, it now blows cold and hard like it was new. If you can live without recirc, then go for it!

#22 ·
I just did this, took me less then 10 mins!! Just as BlueLineRam said: The foam door was lying loose, just pulled it out and everything is working like new!!! This is a great tip!!!:smiley_thumbs_up: Thank you!!

#21 ·
the fix

you guys that fixed it through the glove box way do you still have defrost for the winter? does it only affect the 2 settings on the far left?? i am about to tackle this job next weekend and am wondering the benefits of taking the door out all together or fixing it and leaving it in there?? i am hoping it is this door as i heard there is about 3 or 4 different blend doors in this system.... i am hoping it is only the one that i can get to behind the glove box....
any tips other than what is already posted will help this week end...
or any tests... that can be run "pre-fix" would be appreciated. to try and figure out which door is malfunctioning.
the problem seems to be very similar as everyone else not enough cold air to be coming in to cool down the cab i am getting some cold air but not enough and also i can hear the air which sounds like its muffled behind the glove box...
Jay

#24 ·
I have the same problem, I have already removed the damaged recirc. door. Easy, just remove the glove box, it comes right out just depress tabs to crear the stops and unhook it. Next remove the fan , 3 torx screws and a plug. reach up and pull out the broken door, you will have to try several different positions but it can be done without forcing it. A/C will work without it , but I am going to try to replace it, looks like I can by unscrewing the servo motor, positioning the new door then reinstalling the servo motor. all from the glove box!

#26 ·
James Posey - thanks for sharing.
My 05 has had weak air flow since I bought it 6 months ago - I wish I'd seen this then. Anyway, I used silicone to seal it since it will be easy to peel off when I'm ready to do the correct fix. Today it's like a tsunami in that b****! I love it!
Thanks again!

#27 ·
I just dove into this last weekend, but I wasnt lucky enough for it to be just the recirc door, I had to replace the air blend doors there are 2 one below and one above the heater core in the heater box. After spending a day trying to remove the bottom of the heater box(DUMB) I spoke with a very wise man who said just take these bolts out, these here, drop the steering column unplug the airbags and the dash pulls right out. I saw a pic of this on the first page of this thread I think. Disconnect the heater hoses and the refridgerent lines a few bolts on the heater box and BAM had it out on the ground in about an hour replacing the air blend doors.It was actually a lot easier than it sounds or looks.
The only other thing I had to do was replace the liquid line for ac from the evap coil to the first disconnect which is right behind the air box because the spring got messed up. But the filter is also in this line so prob was good to replace anyway.

#28 ·
Repaired Blend Doors

Since we're on this thread I thought I'd share a fix I found this summer. These guys have a kit that makes it easy to repair the Blend, Mode, and Recirc Doors without pulling off the dash: http://www.heatertreater.net/Ram 02-08 Listing.html

I think the initial kit is 135.00 for the initial door and dremel tool bit, then it's 35.00 for each door there after.
If you check out their video's, they show you how to diagnose each door problem. I replaced my Upper Blend Door with their kit and my dremel tool and it only took about 1 1/2 hrs.

They show how you can remove and install a new Recirculation Door by removing the 3 Blower screws, pulling the blower and grabbing the broken door...then removing the glovebox and the plastic grate to unstall a new door with a better hinge pin (metal instead of plastic). Very easy fix with video help.

Now my heater core is leaking and I have to pull the dash anyway...Anyone know of a thread on pulling the dash?

#29 ·
Go to Heatertreater.com. They show you how to replace these doors without taking off the whole dash.
I found my recirc door broke off and was laying over my blower fan. Once I took the broken door out, my AC blew as hard as if it was new. I just cant switch from inside to outside air but who cares? It blows hard and cold and didnt cost me a nickel. Took about an hour to get the broken door out and put all back together...

#30 ·
I have this same problem on my '03. Most of the time it works fine, but when on long trips on the interstate with cruise set, it will all of the sudden stop blowing air through the vents. If you sit at idle for a few minutes, it goes back to normal function. I am thinking maybe I have a vacuum leak? I'm not familiar to this system so I don't know if it is even a vacuum run system... Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Mike

#31 ·
I have this same problem on my '03. Most of the time it works fine, but when on long trips on the interstate with cruise set, it will all of the sudden stop blowing air through the vents. If you sit at idle for a few minutes, it goes back to normal function. I am thinking maybe I have a vacuum leak? I'm not familiar to this system so I don't know if it is even a vacuum run system... Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Mike
Turns out I am not home free on this vac tank/non-vac tank issue as my new used 2000 Ram still shut off a/c dash ducts under heavy acel today.

I may have to install an /Alfa Romeo 164 vac tank inline at firewall to combat this issue.

Don't make me go Un_American guys, tell me where the darm vac tank is located on this 2K Ram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.