DODGE RAM FORUM banner

High AC pressure no cold????? wtf?

18K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RansRAM 
#1 ·
Hooked up a gauge and it read 105psi. Had that removed and new refrigerant put in the lp side. Vents blow like crazy but it's all hot air. Compressor doesn't seem to be kicking on either. Do I need a new compressor?:doh:

#2 ·
What side was reading 105psi ?? If it's the high side it sounds like you may need more refrigerant. In order to get the compressor to come on you need to have enough refrigerant in the system. When the system is properly charged the low side should be around 30psi and the high side around 150psi with the compressor running. Be very careful not to overcharge. You need to slowly put refrigerant into the low side until the low (suction) pipe entering the compressor starts to get cold. (thats the side coming from the evaporater and is larger in size). Of course the compressor needs to be turning before the suction side will start to get cold. As you put refrigerant into the low side the compressor should start to cycle on and off. If this does not happen something else may be at fault.

#3 ·
Ok, the compressor was me just being a dumb ass. I thought the AC button was on and it wasn't. As soon as I saw it wasn't on I turned it on and the compressor engaged no problem. I put a can in and discovered my next issue. The two vents on the drivers side are much cooler now, however the passenger vents are still warm. And just so nobody asks this truck isn't equipped with dual climate control!! LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.