Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : Stereo wiring question...

DodgeGuy85
05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey guys I have a quick question on a problem that is driving me nuts and i'm sure yall had this same question before but here goes...I have a 1996 ram 1500 2 wheel drive with a 5.2 magnum that I recently bought. The afermarket cd stereo that came with it was junk so I took it out and tried installing my Pioneer stereo the problem I'm having is I hooked up the radio and speakers and everything works fine but as soon as I turn on the headlights the parking lamp fuse blows and I lose running lights and dash lights.I've tried everything as well like hard wiring the radio to an accessory fuse slot but it still blows the parking lamp fuse. Any ideas on what might be causing it too blow? Someone told me that I may have a dimmer switch wire hooked up that maybe causing it to blow what ever a dimmer switch wire is? Do any of yall know exactly what wire color from the radio harness on the truck goes to what color wire on the aftermarket stereo i'm trying to install...And is it true that you twist the solid red and yellow wires together from the radio to a power wire on the truck radio harness or is that wrong? any ideas and help would be greatful i'm afraid i'm going to wire it wrong and risk starting an electrical fire...

RamTech
05-16-2010, 12:09 PM
You aren't supposed to twist the red and yellow together. Whoever told you that is an idiot. The red goes to B+ and the yellow should go to a 12V switched source. Did the same dimwit that told you your yellow and red should be twisted together tell you the dimmer is your problem? I'd suggest getting a professional to solve both your problems.

DodgeGuy85
05-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Haha well hearing what you know now makes my buddy that helped me installed it sound like an idiot...I thought it was wrong when he told me to twist the 2 together and I asked him but he said yea twist the 2 together and find your power wire from the truck harness and tie them together I was like ok ! lol but apparently he's wrong

DodgeGuy85
05-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I have everything to wire it up I just need to get a quick run down on what color wire from the stereo I have to hook up to the radio wiring harness on the truck...once i know what wires do what I'll get it done just not sure...What color wire do I hook the yellow wire from my radio too on the truck wires and for the red from my stereo? and do you know what color wire the dimmer switch wire is if there even is such a thing?

dodgenfrank
05-16-2010, 01:37 PM
For a clean quick easy hook-up go to walmart, advance ,or even autozone and get a wire harness for your year truck, cost ya 7 to 9 bucks. All wires have a home and you don't have to trouble shoot your memery 12v source, remote power for ant./ amps, and so-on.

khuman
05-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Many times the dimmer wire on the radio will be ORANGE. That is NOT a guarantee but it true for lots of head units. The Audio Video board has a sticky with the run down of factory wire colors. Google a wiring diagram for the aftermarket you bought and match things up from there. Shouldn't be too hard.

Sympletruth316
05-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Here you go dude. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me. I have my own mobile audio company so Im not just some joe who will tell you how to get it done quick or half assed.

Constant 12V+ Red
Switched 12V+ Red/White
Ground n/a
Illumination n/a
Dimmer Orange/White
Antenna Trigger Yellow
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 6" x 9" Doors
Left Front (+) Dark Green
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) Purple
Right Front (-) Dark Blue/Red
Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Side Panels
Left Rear (+) Brown/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Brown/Light Blue
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue/White
Right Rear (-) Dark Blue/Orange

96 dodge ram
11-15-2011, 09:20 PM
What color is memory?

camoman214
11-16-2011, 12:19 AM
What color is memory?

It depends on the head unit. Sometimes it's the RED wire and sometimes is it the YELLOW wire. Refer to your head unit's users manual for the correct memory wire. If you don't have the manual you can find almost all stereo manuals using a quick search on Google.

ramfam
11-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Some stereo's tell you on top of head unit. Its usually covered by the sleve that holds it in dash

ramfam
11-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Your's might be the red and yellow is switch power

Shaggi1990
07-07-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm having a problem I bought the wiring harness hooked it all up and I'm not getting anything through the speakers sometime when I hit a bump it works I checked all the harness connections they are good

dennis5150
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
There is a bad connection , most likely the power wire but lack of a good ground will do the same thing, this is why I hard wire "Solder" all the connections I can when installing a stereo system , I also use a ground strap on the stereo unit and any amplifiers