DODGE RAM FORUM banner

AC not working

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RamTech 
#1 ·
Not sure what the issue is here. I've taken it to the stealership as well as our local mechanic that we usually use, and they both kind of gave us a :4-dontknow:. They recharged the air compressor and refilled it with refridgerant, and it worked for a few weeks, but then slowly died again. So they filled/recharged it again and put a UV dye in it this time so they can tell where the leak is, but they know it's not in any of the hoses in the engine bay because they vacuumed it all out through one of the hoses and there was no leak. So they think it's the evaporator. I have no idea a) what that is or b) what that does. All I know is they said it's ~$800 to fix it. So I was wondering if there's a cheaper solution. Is it something I could do myself? Or is it so involved that I'd be better off just forking over the cash?

#2 ·
The evaporator is the part in the cab that gets cold and the fan blows air through.
I'm afraid the only DIY for this is roll the windows down.
You might be able to get one from a salvage yard, but if your not familiar with AC systems, installing this is likely best left for the professionals. You could do all the prep work, and leave the final connection for them, but a salvage evaporator is risky at best, unless the salvage yard was able to certify that the unit came from a vehicle that was charged, and they had to evacuate it during salvage. We have a salvage yard here that does that, but many don't.
Good Luck with your repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.