Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : Hard steering

24vtd
05-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Im having a steering problem with my 99 4x4 ram. Its hard to turn and when you go around a corner the wheel doesnt want to return all the way. I have replaced the gear box,steering shaft,all new tie rods power steering pump,bushings,shocks track bar. it had this problem before i changed everything on it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Toms Blue Ram 1500
05-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Disconnect your steering stabilizer (shock on right side steering linkage). See if your problem goes away . If so go to your local parts house and purchase a new one . Make sure you stop by the newbie section and introduce yourself .

RamTech
05-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Make sure the bolts on the drag link adjusting sleeve are turned down and not contacting the frame during a turn.

24vtd
05-31-2010, 01:39 PM
i took the stabilizer off and it still turns hard could the blljoints cause this? they are not loose.

RamTech
05-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Did you check the adjuster sleeve yet? I've only seen cheap or improperly installed balljoints cause this.

24vtd
05-31-2010, 01:47 PM
the sleeve is fine. when i put it up on my lift nothing feels in a bind it seems worse when i steer it left. the ball joints are original with 165k on them

RamTech
05-31-2010, 01:50 PM
If you suspect the ball joints then disconnect the tie rod ends from the knuckles and check for binding.

24vtd
05-31-2010, 02:03 PM
im on it. thanks

24vtd
06-03-2010, 04:58 PM
ok checked for binding can't find any, could the steering column itself cause this? the wheel won't return around corners either.

RamTech
06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
The intermediate shaft can go bad and cause binding. It's pretty rare but certainly not unheard of. Disconnect the shaft at the gearbox and check the joints in it for binding.

24vtd
06-06-2010, 10:30 AM
it has a new mopar shaft in it. like i was saying ive replaced every thing but the column and it still steers like crap

RamTech
06-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Has anyone done any "adjusting" on the box itself?

Mac
07-13-2010, 09:54 PM
It's been over a month since your last post. Did you find the problem? I'm betting it was the gearbox. I read somewhere that if it's overtightened it will cause too-tight steering and poor wheel return.

Texas Ram man
11-25-2012, 07:37 PM
The use of the internet is convienient when trying to solve problems. As I started this search I did not see many issues with similar symptoms as I am experienceing. This blog thread is exactly what I have going on with my 99 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with Cummins. My truck was in at the local Dodge delaer here in Dallas for a VP-44 injector pump change out (a whole differnt story in itself, 3 installed in 4 months until it was working properly). Anyway, on got the truck back from the dealer and noticed stiff steeering issues. I even had other people drive my truck and they say the same thing. The Dodge dealer first told me that is was due to cold weather. I've had this truck in Northern British Columbia at -20 and never experienced stiff steering problems like this, so I'm not buying it. Then then told me to change the Power Steering pump and stabilzer cylinder. I did both on Saturday as well as flushed the fluid and replace with new fresh fluid. Still hard steering. Wheel does not recenter during turns.
Any advice or direction is appreciated. This last string did not display end results. Please let me know if this was resolved.