DODGE RAM FORUM banner

A/C question

7K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Rouse5369 
#1 ·
Aloha All
I have a 2003 Ram, 5.7 hemi. A/C works fine on highway, but compressor kicks in and out while idling. Refrigerant level checks OK. Any Ideas?...
Thanks
Brent

#10 ·
It seems common for the condensor fan to stop working..I have read and heard that it can be due to ice forming in the bottom of the shroud during the winter and this stops the fan from turning and either burning up the fan motor of blowing the fuse.
First things first is to check the fuses. I checked the fan motor by unhooking the connection and then jumping a pigtail wire directly from the battery to the fan. My fan was shot. You can buy the entire motor/shroud assembly for about $75. Its pretty easy to replace and you will have to cut the old shroud to get it around the a/c line that runs into the condensor...and cut the new one to get it back on. Takes about an hour to change out. Make sure to drill some drain holes in the bottom of the new shroud before you put it on.

#12 ·
I will take some and post them up, but once you see it..it really is simple. You only end up cutting a very small piece on the old one, however the new one requires a little more as the shroud is shaped differently in the same area.

#14 ·
OK, called around for replacement fan assembly only to find out no one carries them and will have to order. $118 including tax from local parts store. Then I decided to call the stealership just to see how much they would rip me off only to find out they no longer support this assembly and I must purchase a retro fit set at the sum of............................wait for it..............................$240 plus $15 wiring harness adapter.

After a few cuss words and some lunch I decided that since the fan motor was shot I could take it apart and see just what might be wrong. I have dealt with electric motors before (rc cars) and figured they were all the same. I was right, they were just with bigger parts. Once I took the rear cover off I saw what the problem was. One of the wires that attach to the brushes had come off (or shall I guess to say melted off due to the heavy load from what you all talk about). Needless to say, I rigged a temporary solution (till I get a soldering iron), put the motor back together and re-install everything.. Problem fixed, started the truck turned on A/C and plugged the fan in and WALA!!!! Motor turnes and A/C is cold on idle again.. YEAH!!!!!:w00t:

#20 ·
I got the entire assembly for $75 delivered and it is less than 1 hour worth of work..trickey, but not impossible. I simply used a coping saw to cut the old shroud from around the a/c line to get it off...it is only 2 bolts mounting the shroud to the crossbrace and 4 bolts holding the shroud to the condensor.

#22 ·
I will report my efforts that will begin tonight with a new fan motor ($90) from Advance Auto. Not sure about cutting the shroud but know that its one pin on the axle and for bolts once the shroud is out (and not Turin-ed). Full assembly not available in the system for my 2003 4.7L.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.