Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : right trailer turn signal wire

redeye4u
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Hello, I have looked at other posts about this and have found no answers. So here it is. No right turn signal at trlr. I know it is the wt/pk wire. i traced it back to the connector behind the drivers wheel. Still no power. From that connector were does the wire go. The fuse for the turn signal is good. PLease help. I do not like not haveing no rt turn or brake light. Thanks for the help in advance.

Toms Blue Ram 1500
07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a question for Randy . I'll see if I can find some info out for ya .

redeye4u
07-29-2010, 10:56 PM
thanks. that will be great.

brad12kx
07-30-2010, 12:52 AM
The right turn trailer wire (Wt/Pk) goes to the IPM (Integrated Power Module)....AKA Fuse Box.....where is connects to a relay. (Check the legend in the lid of the IPM for which relay). The power for right turn is supplied by Fuse 47 (15A), which is the first place I'd check.

The relay is controlled by the FCM (Front Control Module).

Testing Basics - With the right turn signal activated, listen to hear if the right turn trailer tow relay is clicking. If it is not, you will likely need a new FCM. If it is clicking, then the problem is likely Fuse 47.

Hope this helps.

redeye4u
07-30-2010, 07:08 PM
thanks brad12kx. The fuse is fine. which relay is it. i.e. what number. the lid does not say. I do hear a clicking noise. does the relay power both the wt/pk wire and also the wire for the rear turn signal on the truck itself? Or is there a seperate relay for the truck turn signals? thanks agian.

brad12kx
08-01-2010, 12:33 AM
The relay only powers the trailer RT, the wt/pk on yours. If the fuse is OK, and the relay is operational, then you have some serious troubleshooting to do. Start with measuring the voltage on both sides of the fuse....should be ~12v whether or not the signal is on. If OK, then it's off to the wiring. if you found the wire connection under the dash (I'm really not sure if it goes there, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did), check it there. it should only have power when the signal is flashing, and the power should cycle in sync with the flasher. If OK, then continue tracing until you find the break. might want to check right where the harness plugs into the trailer connector......and possibly the trailer connector itself. I recently had the issue with my LT, and it turned out to be a mating problem between my trailer connector and the Dodge connector. When I plugged it in, the connection in the trucks connector moved to the wrong side of the connection in the trailer's plug, and every thing worked except the LT. I ended up replacing the trailers connector to one that appeared to be 'better built'......but IMO, all these trailer plugs are cheap junk.

Good luck with your tracing. :smileup:

redeye4u
08-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks brad. chaseing wires is always a fun job. I have my work cut out for me. I was wondering if a company makes a kit that is pluged into the truck tail lights like you had to do back in 2000. I really do not need the 7 pin connector just the 4 pin.

RamTech
08-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Hoppy makes the Plug-in Simple line that you're talking about and it can be found at most parts stores.

redeye4u
08-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks remerson228. I take it will not affect the factory trl wireing system at all.

RamTech
08-01-2010, 12:58 PM
No, you'll be using the tail lamp circuitry instead.

redeye4u
08-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks Randy. That sounds a little easier than tracing that wt/pk wire. Do you know which number the relay is in the fuse box for the trl wireing. Or is it under the fuse block.

RamTech
08-01-2010, 01:25 PM
There are 3 relays in the trailer tow system. One for the marker lamps and one each for the turn signals. Below is a diagram.

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/815ef6c2.gif

redeye4u
08-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks Randy. what number on the fuse box is the relay. I.e. 67 or what. I can follow the diagram just not sure which relay it is. Also where is the front control module located in the truck. Thanks agian.

redeye4u
08-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Heres a update. Still could not figure out which relay was what. However i did notice that the left relay was very loud and sounded normal for what a blinker relay should sound like. However the right relay which everone it is sounded really weak and barely pullsed. So i know the relay is getting power but just maybe enough power. PLease help. The wife says no to the hoppy route right now. Would like to fix it right if possiable. thks agian all.:4-dontknow:

brad12kx
08-03-2010, 12:59 AM
I think the information on which relay is which.....is a 'secret'. :LOL:

Try - Turn on the LT, and pull relays, one by one, until the clicking stops.....that'll be the LT relay. Install all but that one, turn on RT, and repeat the processes.

OR -

With the trailer connected, turn on the lights and emer flashers. Pull a relay and see what quit. If you pull one and nothing quit....might be the RT relay!! Might!

After you figure out which is RT and LT, swap them and see if the problem stays with the RT, or moves to the LT. If it moves, the relay needs replacing. If it stays.......Now everyone say with me..."Oh Crap!" :LOL:

Good luck! :smileup:

redeye4u
08-04-2010, 07:57 PM
found out why i could not find the right relay. The relays are built into the fuse box. The only way to replace them is to replace the fuse box. :LOL: So the way to go is the hoppy way.

brad12kx
08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
found out why i could not find the right relay. The relays are built into the fuse box. The only way to replace them is to replace the fuse box. :LOL: So the way to go is the hoppy way.

WOW....seriously! :SHOCKED: Although the whole IPM concept is pretty good, this is an area of it that IMO fails. The IPM is not an inexpensive item, and it seems borderline ridiculous that a truck owner would be required to pay that amount because a five dollar relay failed. Not impressed! :smiledown:

Next time I'm at my dealership, I'm going to ask them for a defective IPM just so I can rip it apart to see if DIY repair for things like this relay are even worth consideration.

Sorry to hear that you are in the situation that you pretty much have to 'bypass' the OEM wiring, just to have trailer lights. I've never been a proponent of such action, but under these circumstances, I have to agree with you....the Hoppy way is looking rather appealing right now.

Good luck in getting it up and operational. If I find a plausible DIY repair for the IPM, I will definitely let you know.

redeye4u
08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks Brad12kx. Yeah i think it is kinda crappy that they built into the IPM. I talked to a freind who has the hopkins connections right to the trucks taillights and he has no problems with it. He does have the factory trailer wiring also. Plus the resident tech here says it would also work. Thanks for all the help. I would love to know if we can fix the IPM.

DenverRam
08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I had this problem with my Ram.
A new FCM fixed the problem.

RAM460v
08-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Hello Everyone
I am having the same problem. I am pretty sure it is in the FCM. My truck did not come with the factory 7 pin wiring, I believe the 4 pin connector was added by previous owner.
Randy you said that using the Hoppy Plug In system will not effect tail lamp circuitry even with lamp out circuit? Just curious.

Thank You

Roger

redeye4u
08-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Hello Roger. I am picking up the plug in system fri. Randy did say it will not effect anything. also i was talking to other people and they said the same thing. the part number is 32135 i believe that is the hoppy number for our trucks. i will let you all know how this works out. it beats paying 200 to 400 just to have it happen agian in a few years.

RAM460v
08-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Redeye
Sounds great, I look forward in hearing how you make out. It wil be nice to be able to use the utility trailer I bought.
Please let me know.

Roger

redeye4u
08-21-2010, 03:22 PM
hey roger. the wiring kit is a snap to install. just remove the taillights and plug in the kit. The blinkers do not speed up when the trailer is hooked up. so no need for a different flasher. It is a hoppy product. Item #32135. The four pin connector you are talking about on your truck is part of the truck wiring from factory. mine had that as well all green.:LOL: I thought the same thing you did. It is nice to have working :smiley_thumbs_up::smileup:trailler lights agian.

RAM460v
08-21-2010, 08:43 PM
:smileup: Thats great I will have to pick up one of those kits. I will have to find out where I can purchase it. I know the previous owner changed the factory wiring 4 pin, he did a poor job of it, my guess he was having problems with the factory FCM and did not realize what the problem was, hoping it was just the 4 pin. I will keep you all posted how I make out.

Thank You

Roger

RAM460v
08-31-2010, 07:39 PM
:doh: I can not seem to find anywhere local that sells Hoppy brand. Does anyone if Hopkins and Hoppy are the same company? The part numbers are not the same. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Roger

RAM460v
03-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Just a update should have done it sooner. Hopkins is Hoppy, Had to order the correct # installed a very easy installation. The unfortunate thing is it does not work, the trailer lights act the same as they did before. Now that spring is around the corner time to figure this out. Probably have to with replacing the FCM. $$$ not looking forward to that.
Roger

brad12kx
03-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Just a update should have done it sooner. Hopkins is Hoppy, Had to order the correct # installed a very easy installation. The unfortunate thing is it does not work, the trailer lights act the same as they did before. Now that spring is around the corner time to figure this out. Probably have to with replacing the FCM. $$$ not looking forward to that.
Roger

If you have the exact same problem with the Hoppy adapter, I'd be looking elsewhere. The adapter uses the same circuit as the tail lights RT, so if the RT on the truck is working, then I doubt you have an FCM issue.

Are you 100% sure the problem is not in the trailer?

I'd also look carefully at the trailer connector to truck connector connection. :4-dontknow:

rushin2
05-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Roger

I have the same exact issue. My story is this - purchased a Hemi 1500 a year ago. One month down the road heated seats and power seat started acting out. Than they quit all together. That didn't bother me as much. About six months ago I noticed the left trailer light went out while pulling a serious load. Since then didn't have to tow, so completely forgot about it for a while. A couple of days back I was preparing the truck for a road trip and checked the trailer lights again. Right light worked and than today BOTH were dead.

Ran through all the wiring from a to z. Everything points out to FCM. Went to NAPA and got their 48 dollar kit (plug and play) for the 2003-2008 models of 1500. I did read sometime ago that people installed these kits before and only good feedback. Now the lightening, turn signals and stop lights are ok. Sometime in the fall planning to replace the FCM with a refurbished model with a lifetime warranty for 260 from Solo PCMs. By all means relays sound as working in the fuse box (which was completely dismantled and cleaned-up).

Hope it works out for you. You did mention that the prior owner probably installed the plug - perhaps to see how he did it.