Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : 2nd 5.7 HEMI engine in 7 months! OUCH

lorivo
08-06-2010, 11:41 AM
My son's 2006 RAM 1500 engine blew at 97,263km and fortunately it was covered under warranty. Now, 16,694 km later, it has blow again. We are being told there is no warranty. They are saying that it's because my son only did one oil change since the new motor was put in (the oild was changed 4 months before the second failure). It went 7400 miles since the oil change, and it blew. Are HEMI's so fragile that we should expect this? If so, we need to get OUT OF DODGE!!!!! Anyone have any ideas?

City Slicker
08-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Wow, I've never heard of this. Hang in there though, there are other members on here that may be able to help. I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum!

iRESQu
08-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't think it's Dodges engines that are the cause of the Hemi blowing. I certainly don't think it is bad luck either. Who performed the oil changes? How often was it checked? How aggressive is your son on his truck? Is he towing with it? etc etc etc There are guidelines in place that prevent engines from blowing. I would hang tight until our residential tech chimes in, but I get a feeling he is going to have some much needed valuable insight here.

Toms Blue Ram 1500
08-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree with Paris . She has stated alot of good questions there . The first thing the dealer's gonna want to know is how it was maintained . If you can't come up with receipts showing them that it was maintenanced correctly , their gonna leave you holding the bag . Thats just not Dodge but all manufacturer out there will do the same thing . We have a gentleman on here that races his truck on a regular basis and it has about 180,000 miles on it . So as for why the motor failed we really don't have an answer for ya .

RootBeer
08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
While the owner's manual says change the oil at 6000 miles, its always best to change it at 3000 or 3 months as has been the recommended procedure since I've been driving.

5w20 is the required oil.

Mtx
08-06-2010, 05:09 PM
While the owner's manual says change the oil at 6000 miles, its always best to change it at 3000 or 3 months as has been the recommended procedure since I've been driving.

5w20 is the required oil.
thats what i do.

how did the oil look inside the motor after it blew? and what came apart or blew in the motor?

RamTech
08-06-2010, 06:36 PM
7400 miles and you're blaming Dodge? :4-looney:

CdnoilRAM
08-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I think we need to know more about what the failure was, a 'blown engine' leaves a lot open to interpretation. These are fairly solidly built engines, running a grade IV synthetic lets me run to 10K kms between changes, and I'm hard on the engine too. If he's running regular dino oil, then you NEED to do changes ontime/regularly. Also, did he have any leaks that would have contributed to loss of oil?

drivehard27
08-06-2010, 08:44 PM
ya i change mine every 3000 miles its better to be safe then sorry and i save all paper work so they cant screw with me .im thinking you went to long on oil changes plus you went 7400 and it had 16,694 im quessing that the oil has only been changed once since the new engine was put in and i was allways told when you have a new engine change the oil after the first 3000 just to clean it out

iRESQu
08-06-2010, 09:41 PM
7400 miles and you're blaming Dodge? :4-looney:

I had wondered that ^^^ because there are so many factors that all have to be present for an engine to blow, no? You don't just run to the local redneck Discount Dollar store and BOOM. It is constant source of neglect, be it oil issues or driver issues. Either way, I hope you get your answers SOMEWHERE or from SOMEONE. But it doesn't appear to be a mechanical or lubricant deprivation from the service dept that caused this issue. Best of luck and keep us posted as to your findings. Definitely curious to know the outcome.

erm
08-06-2010, 09:43 PM
You waited too long to change the oil. 7400 miles? That's twice the API recommended mileage + 1400 miles.

erik108
08-06-2010, 10:27 PM
in all reality, even if he didnt change the oil in the 2nd motor, it shoulnt have blown again, did they put a NEW or REBUILT ENGINE IN, if it was me, i would file complaints with Chrysler, BBB, consumer affairs, sometime a rebuilt might have had some unknown problem that wasnt corrected.

RamTech
08-07-2010, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=erik108;277659]in all reality, even if he didnt change the oil in the 2nd motor, it shoulnt have blown again, did they put a NEW or REBUILT ENGINE IN, if it was me, i would file complaints with Chrysler, BBB, consumer affairs, sometime a rebuilt might have had some unknown problem that wasnt corrected.[/QUOT

So you're saying it's ok to go nearly 7500 miles on break in oil? What kind of unknown problem are you referring to? How would that complaint be worded? "I knowingly exceeded the maximum interval and now my engine is trash but Chrysler won't pony up for a new one? WAAAAAH!"

erik108
08-07-2010, 08:23 AM
i wouldnt go 7500 miles without changing the oil, However, should the engine blow from not changing your oil, that doesnt sound right ? 7500 miles, no way.
I would word my complaint ,TO CHRYSLER FIRST !! as i had my engine recently replaced, it has 7500 miles on it- why would a engine blow with 7500 miles on it !!!
and the dealer is telling no warrantly on engine, I demand that this be repaired or replaced, I will notiffy the Better business bureau, and the consumer complaint division also to help with the problem

erik108
08-07-2010, 08:35 AM
hmm im also thinking, my book says change oil every 6000 miles, so they went 1500 miles over the advised oil chenge, im mean i realize its a new or rebuilt engine, and they should have changed the oil sooner, I agree !!!! but if they had gone 20,000 miles without oil change on this engine , they were toast on a complaint then, im just trying to help a fellow DODGE owner out here, thats all, She sounds like shes asking us for some advise and help !!!

Toms Blue Ram 1500
08-07-2010, 08:40 AM
You don't take a new engine and drive that long on the oil that was in it when assembled or installed . Would you , I doubt it . The dealer may of seen other signs condemning the warranty . We won't know . We are only seeeing one side of the story .

iRESQu
08-07-2010, 08:41 AM
If you look at the overall facts that were laid out, TWO engines BLOWN?! I would have to seriously look at driver neglect. I don't think the engines were faulty. Point blank, cut and dry.

erik108
08-07-2010, 08:45 AM
you all have good points !! i just feel bad for them, its allot of money to get a 3rd engine !!

iRESQu
08-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Here's one other way I look at it.....how many people blow an engine shortly after purchase.....turn around and blow ANOTHER?! After how engines will you start to question the drivers role in this? Randy, how many blown Hemi's have you seen in your experience? Then how many time have you seen a SECOND Hemi engine blow by the SAME PERSON?! The odds are that the driver played a VITAL role in this constant malfuctioning of engines. No warning lights? No low oil pressure lights? The engine just BLEW?! No ticking? Inevitably, it is the owners responsibility to ensure all mechanics of their vehicles are running within normal operating conditions. Not Dodges.

erik108
08-07-2010, 08:53 AM
i agree with you,2 blown engines,( sounds like a driver issue) the 1st she said was at, 97,263km , then they put a new one in, and at 7500 it went too. But again, She probably wants helpfull advice, we can tell her he drives really bad, but what if the 2nd engine was not good, my wifes previous Car ( a toyota had the alternator go with 30k on it- they put a new one in that one was defective, so they put another in too )
Im not a mechanic, just had allot of Rams in my life- and know if it was me i would fight !!!

iRESQu
08-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Very nicely stated. I am sorry if it appears as though I am coming at you. I wrote my last response while you were writing yours as well and mine came in RIGHT AFTER YOURS. So I wasn't trying to beat a dead horse. My issue is when people blame others, even to the point of bad mouthing them, when it would initially appear that this is more responsibility evenly spread around and not just on the manufacturer of a product.

CajunDodge
08-07-2010, 09:01 AM
I agree, that is excessive mileage on break-in oil, but is there really any sense in jumping down someone's throat after just one post??? Without a little more information, tough for me to form an opinion. While I won't discount lack of proper maintenance or perhaps driver error here, I do agree with Kurtis, I'd like to know, too, what the failure was, lot of things could have happened here.

- Cajun

erik108
08-07-2010, 10:04 AM
all is good, ive been on the challenger forum for 2 years, I have seen many take things personal, I bet every one of you is a decent/ cool RAM driver !!!! so nothing personal here !!!

RamTech
08-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I've only seen a couple of blown up Hemi's and it those cases, it wasn't a warranty covered cause. Complaining to Chrysler will likely do no good. I am curious as to the cause of the original blown engine. Was it corrected before the new engine was installed?

drivehard27
08-08-2010, 11:46 AM
i have to say after reading all this and yes i know i put my thoughts in here aswell but we may never know we have not really helped her just yelled at her and all she wants to do is find out why well im thinking bad maintance and bad driveing just me

droshemiram
08-11-2010, 01:13 AM
ya i change mine every 3000 miles its better to be safe then sorry and i save all paper work so they cant screw with me .im thinking you went to long on oil changes plus you went 7400 and it had 16,694 im quessing that the oil has only been changed once since the new engine was put in and i was allways told when you have a new engine change the oil after the first 3000 just to clean it out
when I put my new motor in I changed my oil @ 1,500 thats what they recomended,now I change it every 3,000 miles and I drive it hard half of the time I drive it.I also use mobil 1. also my engine blew from former owner neglect I bought it with 98,000 miles It droped a valve @ 110,000 took it apart and it had alot of engine sludge.

latitud
08-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I am waiting to see what the cause was also. But as for regular maintenance oil changes:

IMO 3,000 miles is old school thinking from the 70's. The owner's manual is dead on with going 6,000 miles on regular old dino oil before changing. Everyone has their on beliefs, but I personally believe 3,000 miles is a waste of money. I run synthetic and run up to 20,000 miles before changing the oil in my 99 neon. I did a few oil analysist at 15,000 and they were fine, so I made it a habit to go 20,000. The car has 245,000 miles and doesn't smoke at all. I go 10,000 in the Ram on Pennzoil Platinum and I have no worries. I go 5,000 on the Charger Daytona just because it sits more than it is driven.

I have also heard that Dodge no longer uses break in oil and I believe it is even printed in the owner's manual that an early oil change is not required. Now 7,500 miles is still in question, but I would guess the oil is not to blame. The owner's manual in my Charger specifically says, on page 376, "NOTE: Under no circumstances should the oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or 6 months, whichever occurs first." I would imagine there is the exact note in the Ram owner's manual.

rancherman
08-11-2010, 09:59 AM
The practical side of this, If the oil is at ample level, and not totally coked out, shouldn't cause an engine to blow. I will concede it sure gonna shorten expected life. but not 'instantly'. There HAD to been a forewarning!
This kid had to been using the oil pressure gauge as a 'shift light'. and then backwinding it all the time. How much deep water did he try to navigate? I seen some really stupid things done here in Flood country.....lol.

I agree on using the proper interval that any company suggests..... For both warranty purposes, and future life expectancy.
Chrysler has built far more engines than I... and they know what works. Believe me, once that vehicle leaves the dealer, Chrysler doesn't want to see it again. (for warantee work that is). I wish she would give an update!

Rowdy1
08-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Dodge will blame it on "Poor Maintanece"........your fault!!! If you want to find your ansewer Google Dodge 5.7L Hemi Oil Pressure Problems. Theres 100s of complaints,blown motors.....your fault cause you didnt change oil.......etc...etc. Evidently....somethings wrong..cause when you Google 5.7l Hemi nothing but problems show up.....try it...youll see. On top of that Ive got one sitting at the end of my driveway with the motor GONE at 105,000 miles...I know how I drove it and if it cant handle me I wouldnt let my grandma drive it. and.....NO.....I have no plans to buy another motor....its like trying to polish a turd.........

RamTech
08-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Dodge will blame it on "Poor Maintanece"........your fault!!! If you want to find your ansewer Google Dodge 5.7L Hemi Oil Pressure Problems. Theres 100s of complaints,blown motors.....your fault cause you didnt change oil.......etc...etc. Evidently....somethings wrong..cause when you Google 5.7l Hemi nothing but problems show up.....try it...youll see. On top of that Ive got one sitting at the end of my driveway with the motor GONE at 105,000 miles...I know how I drove it and if it cant handle me I wouldnt let my grandma drive it. and.....NO.....I have no plans to buy another motor....its like trying to polish a turd.........

Yeah, we all know that every one of those complaints are from people that performed recommended maintainence on time and never abused or modded their engines!

latitud
08-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I have 2 vehicles with 5.7's and have no issues with either one as of yet. One has the Hemi tick, one does not. I would say it is as good if not better than any other v-8 put there. After warming up they both idle at about 18psi oil pressure, but that is not uncommon for any v-8 engine that uses and internal oil pump system.

uktitus
08-17-2010, 11:20 AM
My 97 5.9 had over 200,000 on her I can't remember an oil change from 140,000 150,000
Had one after 200,000 before I drove to Mendocino from Seattle a 1000 mls no problems great engine no burning of oil. Though there had been problems over the years with the truck the actual engine just kept going.
With my 5.7 2009 as the Guru's here recommend I will follow the oil change light and take no chances with a great engine.

justincpowell
08-22-2010, 05:56 PM
was the 5.7L brand new? idk about dodge but i know if youre hard on ford motors you can blow them before 500 miles. so if the motor was brand new a 7,400 mile oil change isnt the best idea. the 3,000 mile change interval is the best. only exception is when using royal purple or castrol edge. either way the new motor may have not had a chance to be broken in right and that will be a down fall to any engine.

Random Police
08-27-2010, 04:40 AM
Odd that the OP hasn't chimed in again, but who knows.

If it was a new/rebuilt engine- Incorrect diag on why original engine failed. End of story. They only other excuse to his is that someone deliberately cause an engine failure. CAN YOU get this new hemi to fail after 7400 miles of driving, without tampering with it?

If it was a LKQ- Who knows? Could have been an engine that was poorly maintained, and the new owner didn't follow recommended maintenance.

God, I love spell check, helps drunk people post!

Tom

CajunDodge
08-27-2010, 05:16 AM
I agree it's odd not to have heard back on this. I really wanted to know what happened here and how they made out with it.

- Cajun