DODGE RAM FORUM banner

AC compressor keeps cyling on & off 02 ram van

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Toms Blue Ram 1500 
#1 · (Edited)
02 ram van . The problem is that the clutch keeps cyling on and off rapidly (1 or two times a second) whenever i work the engine . This is clearly bad for the engine let alone the compressor. I have to keep turning the ac off every time I pull away from a stop light or climb a steep hill .Normal gentle driving alows me to keep the ac on indefinitly. Having the fan setting on low greatly increases the problem . It seems to be getting too cold. Is this a cyling switch problem?

#3 ·
Need to take it to someone that knows how to work on AC systems. Could be low on freon or other issues.

#5 ·
If the system pressure goes high the high cut out will cut power to the clutch. If the system pressue drops below the low cut out switch set point the power to the clutch is cut. The only way I know of telling in a system is full is to recover the 134a and measure the amount you recovered. I would lean towards your low on 134a. I would think that when the gauges are hooked up and you increase the RPM to 2000 or more you will see the low side gauge drop and the clutch will stop turning:SHOCKED:. If I recall that they call it short cycling. If this was my ride I would add some 134a. If your not 100 % sure on what your doing on an A/C system...Do not attempt to mess with it. 134a can be nasty if you get in your eye or eyes (blinds) or on tender skin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.