DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Frustrated

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Chrisc321 
#1 ·
Took delivery of a 2005 Ram 1500 QC 4.7 with 62K on the clock on Saturday from a reputable local Dodge dealer. Today (Wednesday) I go out to check the mail and see antifreeze under the front of the truck. Its coming from the water pump. I have a warranty with a 100 deductible, but a new pump is only 50 bucks so it would cost me less to do it myself. I have a full garage with air (no lift). I am looking for any advice on changing the water pump. Ive changed out many of them just not on Dodges. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Just saw that you're new. Welcome to the Z. Its pretty straight forward. Just remember it has a fan clutch so you have to lock down the pump when unbolting the clutch.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

#3 ·
Hello and welcome to the RAM forumz. Great to have you become a member. This is a great site with lots of helpful and friendly members. We also like pics of RAMs so if you have any of your truck to share please post them up. Looks like RB has already given you some advice. Enjoy the forum.

#5 ·
Thank you for your service. We have a Military forum if you're interested.

#8 ·
Yeah, there are a couple of tools out there. Sometimes a 36mm wrench and a hammer is all thats required to break the fan loose from the water pump. After that the pump swap is straight forward. The hardest thing to do is bleed the air back out of the cooling system. My advice is to use a vacuum lift pump to remove the air but if you don't have access to one, then leave the radiator cap off, pinch off the upper hose between the block and radiator, and fill the cooling system through the bleeder plug on top of the upper hose outlet. When coolant flows from the radiator, remove the pinch offs and finish filling at the bleeder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.