DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Coolant dissappearing

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  RAMBOW39 
#1 ·
It's been one week today since I picked up my '06 1500 with the 5.7.

When I brought it home the first day I noticed the coolant reserve tank was basically empty.

I filled it up and have noticed that I am loosing coolant somewhere.

The reserve goes down about an inch a day.

The oil looks good. The radiator is full. I've looked around the front of the engine area above and from underneath and can't find any leaks. The truck is garaged and their is nothing on the floor. It drives fine, the heat works, etc. It doesn't over heat, I noticed the temp guage's routine seem to be to warm up to the half way mark and then kick down a bit and stay there.

There is a coolant smell after driving the truck and pulling into the garage.

The Chevy dealer I bought it from (hey, it was hard to find the truck I wanted) said they replaced the water pump. I'd rather not have to go back as they are pretty far away, and well, a Chevy dealer.

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like you have examined things pretty thuroughly but a couple questions. Does your oil look at all milky? Also does your exhaust get white and smokey after the truck warms up? You could have a very slight leak in the head gasket such that you are leaking a little bit of coolant into the block but only when only the engine temp get's up and the preasure increases. This would explain why you are losing coolant but can't find the leak. Since you have been on top of it and keeping the reservour full it would also explain why you're not overheating yet.

Just a thought.

#4 ·
Have you tried to driving it to get it up to temp then stoping and checking for leaks etc. while still running? You could do this when you get home from daily commute, etc. but before you head inside.

Also since you've only had it a week, keep your eye on that oil color in case it just isent noticable yet.

#5 ·
I drove it up to speed and then turned it off and checked for leaks, but not while running will try that.

The smell seems to be coming from the radiator area and I'm starting to wonder if I should try a new radiator cap, could it be evaperating?

#7 ·
Alright guys, I went out this morning (vacation day) and decided I'd go get a radiator cap, $5 worth a try, checked the level and it hadn't dropped. Drove to get the cap and returned (30 mile round trip, I live in a rural area) and no drop. Drove it a few times today and still no drop. After it warms up it is going about 3/4" above the full line, when cold back to the full line.

I have no theory other than the dealer, after replacing the water pump, didn't put enough coolant in to fill the system, if that is even possible.

The only other thing I did before replacing the cap, and looking for leaks, was take it off twice checking the radiator level so I suppose I could have reseated it before replacing.

Odd. I'll keep my eye on it.

#9 ·
Alright guys, I went out this morning (vacation day) and decided I'd go get a radiator cap, $5 worth a try, checked the level and it hadn't dropped. Drove to get the cap and returned (30 mile round trip, I live in a rural area) and no drop. Drove it a few times today and still no drop. After it warms up it is going about 3/4" above the full line, when cold back to the full line.

I have no theory other than the dealer, after replacing the water pump, didn't put enough coolant in to fill the system, if that is even possible.

The only other thing I did before replacing the cap, and looking for leaks, was take it off twice checking the radiator level so I suppose I could have reseated it before replacing.

Odd. I'll keep my eye on it.
Do let us know how it turns out. Intermitant problems are a bitch to diagnose.

#13 ·
I have been told by a old radiator repairman , that for every lb. a radiator cap is good for , it raises the boiling point 7 degrees . I agree with Randy on how many bad caps are really out there . I have equipment that runs pretty much non-stop . When the drivers start to complain that the guage is running hot , I pressure test the cap . 99% are no good . Put a new cap on problem is fixed .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.