Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : How Much $$$ to Change 18 Spark Plugs??

teachnomore
11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Hope someone has insight into this:

My 2009 Ram 1500 Hemi is up for its 30,000 mile work. I've already had part of it done and all that's left is the spark plug change. The price they quoted me was outrageous. What's a reasonable number for that work?

RamTech
11-09-2010, 08:41 PM
It's probably not as outrageous as it sounds. It takes a couple hours even for most experienced mechanics. Book time is roughly 2 hours.

RansRAM
11-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm doing mine myself, when the time comes.

Netman66
11-09-2010, 08:59 PM
They're scamming you I say!!.....you only have 16 plugs. LOL

Probably a typo, I know....

I've heard it's an expensive ordeal at the Dealer. I don't know what else you could do since (in Canada at least) they have to stamp and sign your maintenance book. Can't imagine they would if they didn't perform the service themselves.

GTyankee
11-09-2010, 09:10 PM
my dealership just sent me a notice that my 30,000 mile items was now due, they sent a flyer with it, it gave their specials that are running right now
the prices were cheaper than what i was quoted 5,000 miles ago
as soon as the Ram hits 36,000 miles, i will get the regular service, tune up, HVAC system software update, & hopefully they will FINALLY have the manifold replacement studs

RansRAM
11-09-2010, 09:12 PM
They're scamming you I say!!.....you only have 16 plugs. LOL

Probably a typo, I know....

I've heard it's an expensive ordeal at the Dealer. I don't know what else you could do since (in Canada at least) they have to stamp and sign your maintenance book. Can't imagine they would if they didn't perform the service themselves.

There's nothing special in Canada that requires service to be done and stamped at the dealer. I'm just keeping all Receipts and taking lots of pics whenever I do any service work on my RAM.

RamTex
11-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Well you have NGK regulars already so if you are going to change them i would suggest some NGK Iridium's i paid $128.00 from Moe's Performance. Also to make this as easy as possible you will need and elbow socket and an assortment of extensions. But the elbow socket is a must IMHO. I would also suggest using some very thin tape over the end of the extensions to help hold the spark plug socket snug to the extension. You can also shoot a very small amount of WD-40 into the plug ports to help loosen them up a bit. I also used an old comforter to lean/lay/sit on while changing them to help get some torq and to avoid damage to anything in the engine bay. Removal of the coils/intake/engine cover is a must IMHO also.

09Ram RT
11-10-2010, 07:41 AM
WOW! You guys are already rocking 30k!!!! My 09' only has 4k on the clock :SHOCKED:

Anywho do the work yourself man plugs are easy, grab a case of beer, turn on your IPod and go at it :smileup:

RamTech
11-10-2010, 10:31 AM
The Hemi comes factory with Champion REC14MCC4 plugs. I use a straight plug socket, a 3" and a 5" locking extension when I do plug changes on Hemi's but use what works best for you. As RamTex suggests any type of padding you can find to lay across the engine will make the job more bearable.

mineralram
11-10-2010, 03:02 PM
I have 62,000 kilometers on my 2009 Ram Hemi i bought it to drive it not park it. I have already done my plugs myself it is extremely easy my truck from the factory had NGK plugs in it so i purchased the plugs through my dealer as nobody could get them for me in Canada as of yet they cost me $ 86.00 for all 16 including taxes it took me just under 3 hours but i took my time also.
ATTENTION: I do not want to start a rant about this again but if you are going to change your own plugs make sure you use anti seize. I even bought a torque wrench and torqued all plugs to OEM Spec

keithh2oskier
11-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Not sure if this will help but when I had my old ford ranger a lot of guys would take off the plastic wheel well to access the spark plugs. I haven't spent enough time under the hood to see if it would help with these trucks. Obviously you have to remove the tire, plastic guard and then ideally you would have a straight shot at the plugs.

RansRAM
11-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Not sure if this will help but when I had my old ford ranger a lot of guys would take off the plastic wheel well to access the spark plugs. I haven't spent enough time under the hood to see if it would help with these trucks. Obviously you have to remove the tire, plastic guard and then ideally you would have a straight shot at the plugs.

Good idea however it won't help on the HEMI as all the plugs are accessed from on top of the engine.

keithh2oskier
11-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Good idea however it won't help on the HEMI as all the plugs are accessed from on top of the engine.

Yeh I don't have the hemi but the plugs look like they are on the side ofthe 4.7 which is what motor I have.

RamTech
11-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeh I don't have the hemi but the plugs look like they are on the side ofthe 4.7 which is what motor I have.

Your truck has 2 plugs per cylinder. 8 under each coil pack that are accessed from the top and the plugs you see at the end of the wires on the side of the heads. The top plugs are coppor core and require replacing at 30K and the bottom plugs are platinum and are due at 100K. If you want, you can use the same plugs on top that are in the bottom.

keithh2oskier
11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks Randy. Luckily i have 27k before the tops need to be done. By then I plan on getting a service manual which will have all the torque specs I need to do proper maintenance.

Mattones
11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Im doing mine in 7,000 :\ Im too much a wimp to even attempt to try it myself.. Ill see what the dealer wants first.

rick980
11-11-2010, 02:17 AM
There's nothing special in Canada that requires service to be done and stamped at the dealer. I'm just keeping all Receipts and taking lots of pics whenever I do any service work on my RAM.

We got this letter attached to the receipt with our Avenger with supposed required service at every oil change, there is no service less than 79 bucks so every oil change should cost me that. Its BS I rotate my own tires because they do a BS rotation front to back back to front. Not even the direction from the glove box manual. When I question it they say that is the way we do it then I say then don' tdo it. They keep pushing fuel injector service at 35000 km s on the Avenger. It is not even part of any scheduled maintenance I dont think. I am just tired of the dealers. I go for oil changes since the price was decent but seems like the price went up like 10 bucks from last time. Gonna start shopping.

Johnclave
11-11-2010, 06:13 AM
my 2009 ram hemi is now 45,000km i changed spark plug and it costed 88$

Mattones
11-13-2010, 08:12 PM
my 2009 ram hemi is now 45,000km i changed spark plug and it costed 88$

Thats pricey for just one :P

RansRAM
11-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Thats pricey for just one :P

^^^^^ :LOL: ^^^^^ We need spell check or something on here !!!!

RamTex
11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
My 09 had NGK R's from the factory.

Mattones
11-17-2010, 09:07 PM
^^^^^ :LOL: ^^^^^ We need spell check or something on here !!!!

So when are you going to be changing yours?

greenmax
02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
i checked in the manual and it has a note that the 4.7 has 16, it must be a misprint meaning the 5.7 has 16, so there are 16 , 8 under the coils, where are the other 8 in relation to the coil

RamTex
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
there are 2 plugs per coil unit here a pic to show you what the coils look like exept stock ones are black

zabman
02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Got a price from the stealership today$7.72 a plug.Add 15%gst and that's damn near $150 bucks.That's a iot just for a set of plugs even if there are 16.Anyone know the tourque specs?

BLKSVT
02-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Damn I learn more every day on here...HAD NO idea there were 16 plugs, AND that 8 HAVE to be changed at 30k...WTF!!!

Wonder if my R/T Charger is the same way....

zabman
02-11-2011, 06:40 AM
All 16 plugs need to be changed in the 5.7.The maintenance schedule says to change them at 50,000km.

heavyzee
02-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Your truck has 2 plugs per cylinder. 8 under each coil pack that are accessed from the top and the plugs you see at the end of the wires on the side of the heads. The top plugs are coppor core and require replacing at 30K and the bottom plugs are platinum and are due at 100K. If you want, you can use the same plugs on top that are in the bottom.

if you use the platnium plugs on the top, does the service interval change??

RamTech
02-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Yes, if you switch to the platinum, the interval is the same as for the bottom plugs.