DODGE RAM FORUM banner

no Defrost!

83K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  latitud 
G
#1 ·
I'm hopeful someone can give me some advice on the issue I've been having with my truck. Its a 2004 dodge ram with single zone climate control. Just this morning I noticed my defrost was not working. No air is coming out of the defrost vent. The panel vent and floor vent and recirculation work fine when selected. When I select defrost mode, the system stays in its mode for several seconds then defaults to full floor vents. I get nothing out of the defrost vent. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Sounds like the actuator is not fully working. If you have someone else to help you, crawl under the dash and have them work the controls. You should be able to see the actuator moving. I don't believe its internal to the heater box, but I could be wrong.

#3 ·
I am betting that it is a partially broken blend door. You can shine a flashlight from the driver floorboard into the floor vent in the airbox. You will be able to see the blend door. You can stick a screwdriver up where the door is and it you can easily move it up and down, then it is broken and you will have to remove the dash to get it replaced....or you can move the door to the down position and you will have defrost. It is actually designed that gravity will make the door go down it the door breaks, but I am betting yours hasn't broken all the way yet.

#4 ·
It's most likely a defrost door/actuator problem. The blend door/actuator controls temperature. Repair or replacing the actuator or door requires removing the dash.

1 - NUT 2 - PASSENGER BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR 3 - NUT 4 - INLET BAFFLE 5 - RECIRCULATION DOOR ACTUATOR 6 - RECIRCULATION-AIR DOOR 7 - DRIVER SIDE BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR 8 - HVAC HOUSING 9 - BOLT 10 - DEFROSTER DOOR ACTUATOR 11 - MODE DOOR ACTUATOR

G
#6 ·
thanks for the info, although its not what i wanted to hear. Is dash removal difficult on this truck? I'm not an amature when it comes to vehicle repair and diag, I have a technical automotive background. But dash removal is somewhat new to me.

#7 ·
Not difficult but time consuming. I was able to replace my defrost door on my 2003 without removing the entire hvac box. The door is a two door design and I had to cut the area betweenthe doors to put the new one in place. You do have to take all the dash bolts loose and pull it back onto the seats out of the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.