DODGE RAM FORUM banner

No heat or defrost after a long warm up !

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GTyankee 
#1 ·
Hi all...I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7 and just this year i've come to find that it takes forever for the truck to start blowing warm air. I'll go out in the morning to warm it up and come back 1/2 hr later and it's still blowing cold air. The temp gauge is functioning correctly and up to temperature in just a few moments, so it appears that the engine is warming up correctly. Am I to assume that perhaps the heater core is partyly plugged ? It seems as if once I rev the engine a few times, the truck seems to start blowing warm air. Any input ??
Thanks in advance for any input.

#2 ·
I have a 2003 Dodge 1500 and I too had this issue. I was able to resolve it by flushing the radiator.

HOW: Open the radiator cap and the radiator drain plug then place a water hose, with low pressure, into the radiator reservoir. Crank the engine and let it run at idle for about 20-30 minutes or until the water that's coming out of the drain plug is clear.

Turn off the engine and remove the water hose and allow as much of the water to drain and when the water is dripping from the drain plug, close it. I used two containers of 50/50 radiator solution to refill the radiator. Since my truck blows HOT after a 5-8 minutes.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Are both radiator hoses hot to the touch? If not that's sure sign of clogged heater core.

Flushing like Mr Crusha said is a good idea. While you're at it, change the t-stat since you'll have the coolant out of the system anyway and they're cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.