Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : engine clicking noise on cold starts

John999
01-05-2011, 09:44 PM
As the title suggests, I get a distinct clicking noise that corresponds with the RPMs when I cold start the truck. It lasts for only 15-20 seconds then goes away. The truck has 85K on it, the noise started maybe 5K miles ago and I've been running 5-20 full synthetic since the 64K oil change.

Something is sticking in there obviously and it sounds like oil isn't getting up to where its supposed to be or a tappet or something is just out of spec?

My mechanic suggested going back to regular oil or a blend and put a can of "C Foam" in it when I change the oil. Personally I think this is old school thinking but what do I know. Full synthetic is 100% accepted in the sport bike motorcycle culture and I don't know of anyone running their bikes anymore on traditional oils. Or maybe its time to change the oil weight since the truck has 85K on it?

Any suggestions?

RootBeer
01-05-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm surprised this is the first time you've heard that noise. Hemi's are notorious for the Hemi tick.

I'm not sure changing oil would make it go away.

Toms Blue Ram 1500
01-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Can you post up a video/audio clip ? Possible lifter , broken valve spring , etc...

srt93
01-05-2011, 11:56 PM
all last winter off a cold start up my truck would make a loud tick and then start, this year it doesnt...dont think i would be too worried about it

GTyankee
01-06-2011, 12:08 AM
i definitely would not go back to Dinosaur oil

Hemi tick is common for these engines first start, cold weather, for a short period, less than 30 seconds

my 2009 Hemi did it here in San Diego, until the dealership changed the intake manifold studs, according to RRT10-009 cold engine temp ticking noise

happyram
01-06-2011, 02:02 AM
changing blinker fluid wont help either.

:doh:

:LOL:

I used to worry about tickin at startup,
but 98k later, hasnt changed.
My older 360 didnt do it but I love my hemi.
I mean I love my wife, ENJOY the Hemi!!
:smiley_thumbs_up:

Basic Corpse
01-06-2011, 02:43 AM
My Hemi does this too, but it's been doing this from new. I was worried at first but there has been no stock performance issues and it's at 97k miles. I notice the tick most first thing in morning when I pull in to McDonald's drive through near my house when it's cool out. Sounds like lifters ticking. But the ticking soon goes away. I have only use manufacturer spec oil every 3k to 4k miles. I'm not saying this is the same problem, but I'm glad to here that this maybe normal.

moparmike07
01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
DO NOT GO BACK TO REGULAR OIL. Stick with what you have once you use that oil do not change back

rfdlt20
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Yep, I had done that with an older truck and it wasn't the same, Thought I was doing a good thing ( you know like the label says ) . The tick was more noticeable after the fact , and no matter what I used from that point on didn't help. Seafoam worked only temporarily and only quieted it down , but after driving for a while it came back.

John999
01-07-2011, 05:06 AM
OK, good responses and concerns resolved, thanks a lot everyone. Might as well ask since I'm here, at what mileage would you consider changing the weight of the oil, if at all?

Sorry for posting a mechanical thread here, I just read this should go in the Help section.