DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Mode 2 door replacement lots of questions

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MD1961 
#1 ·
I am pretty sure I need to have this door replaced as I have lots of heat on the defroster and none on the floor. All other vents seem to be working great and the air coming out of the defroster (and other vents) is good and hot. But I have a ton of questions about it though as I am trying to figure out if I want to tackle this on my own or take to the dealership. I am confident in my mechanical abilities but dont have much time and cant afford to have it out of working order for more than a day.

Has any one attempted to replace this on their own? If so what steps were taken to do this (Remove entire dash or cut the steel support and bend it out of the way)?

If you took the cut and bend the support out of the way how was it reattached? Bolted back on or had it welded back together?

How hard was it to remove the dash? I have seen posts from a 100 screws to 10 bolts.

If I weren't heading to a part of the country where the temps are going to be in the single to - digits for more than a day or 2 I wouldn't be so concerned about it.

#3 ·
I too am having problems with the HVAC doors. I have a broke pivot that connect to one of the doors inside the unit. I have the dash just about out but there is something not releasing in the center of the dash. I cannot see where it is connecting. I guess that some of the duct work will come out with the dash. I am looking for info/advise on getting the dasy out.
Talked to the dealer and they are getting 105.00 per hr for labor and this job is allowed 8 hrs. Fortunately I have shop space and an extra vehicle so I can work on this until I get it. I am just irritated that this happend once before under warranty and now again. Only 30,000 miles on the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.