DODGE RAM FORUM banner

radiator and coolant

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bigdaddyII 
#1 ·
Well thursday nite my truck decided it needed a new radiator. leaking where the plastic and aluminum come together. Anyways to get it home i stopped at the loca wal mart and picked up some universal green mixture antifreeze. Was not sure what was in the truck. Orange or green. It was 1145 pm. I am replaceing the radiator today. Have been reading that mixing orange and green not good. When i change out the rad. That should take out most if not all the universal coolant i bought right. Don,t want to mess up the new rad. any and all help will be appriciated. thanks

G
#2 ·
Yes, do a total flush and use what the mfgr recommends on coolant for your year & engine truck.

For your HEMI, use of Propylene Glycol coolants is not recommended.

Use a 50/50 mix of Ethylene Glycol & water solution. Mopar anti-freeze/coolant formula MS-9769 was used in your truck when new and was combined with organic corrosion resistors.

So a good Ethylene Glycol anti-freeze with corrosion protection, mixed 50/50 with water, will do the trick.

Your cooling system capacity is 16.2 quarts.

#6 ·
Dexicool? The only antifreeze that is HOAT, which is spec'd for our trucks besides the Mopar stuff is Zerex G-05, at least thats all I have found, and it is yellowish/ clear. Re-check your bottles, if it is Dexicool, please, please, please re flush it and put the correct stuff in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.