DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Woohoo another overheating thread

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  tmerritt530 
#1 ·
My truck has been running hot these past few days. Last night I put a new thermostat in and tested the old one. It would open very slowly in boiling water and only about halfway after ten minutes.

Now that I got all the air burped out it is still running hot.

I feel cool spots on the radiator where there is smooth airflow, ie not behind the transmission or power steering coolers. Behind those it is hot.

I can hear a short squeak coming from the water pump area. At first I thought my radiator was plugged, but now I am worried about the water pump.

It is only about a two year old pump.

#4 ·
Yeah they are cold. The tanks and hoses are hot and the fins are cold.

#5 ·
I am going to flush it tomorrow. If that doesn't work I guess I wouldn't mind dropping a new rad in it.

#6 ·
you should pull the radiator & take it to a radiator shop
they will remove the upper & lower tanks, dip everything into a vat of chemical solution, then they take a metal rod & push all the gunk out of all the tubes, after that the again dip it in the solution & then blow water & air through each tube & put the tanks back on
if it looks like your radiator is bad, they will let you know before completing the job
IF you use the vehicle for towing, they may ask you if you want a 3 core radiator, instead of a normal 2 core

#7 ·
I can't drive it to a radiator shop if I take it out! Flushing it tomorrow

#8 ·
Went ahead and put a new radiator in. Figuring that a lifetime warranty aint so bad! Since i have an 800 mile trip coming up towing a trailer i am not going to chance anything

#9 ·
Cooling problem solved! And it looks better as well. The old radiator's paint was flaking off and the plastic tanks were looking aged. I think I prefer the unpainted one. Am I crazy for that? :4-looney:

#10 ·
actually, the unpainted fins cool better, on my old '56 chevy 3200, only the tanks were painted

same thing goes for an engine that is unpainted, but, they always get painted any way, if you ever open your hood to show it off

#11 ·
I don't care for painting under the hood, so all the stuff i have done under the hood doesn't exactly show off well. I do like for it to look clean though! This is the most obvious change under the hood. If you look very closely you can spot the H.O. stamped on my cylinder heads...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.