Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : Homelink hates my garage door opener!

Stump3r
04-25-2011, 11:36 PM
It's either a Canadian thing or homelink just doesn't like an old Sears Craftsman door opener! For the life of me I've tried everything to get this damn thing to work and no way! I have a newer push button wireless keypad and your conventional openers. I had everything working until I tried to program the homelink in the truck. Now all I can get to work is my wireless keypad. My two old transmitters will not work now either. Anyone run into this before?

bigralphy
04-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Have you followed the programming instructions in the manual? I have a Craftsman as well and I thought it was a rolling code opener. Turns out I need to use the original remote to program the homelink.

erm
04-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Is your Sears opener a rolling code type? If so, I had the same problem. I just converted it to a straight code based on the dip switches in the remote and then it all worked fine.

brad12kx
04-26-2011, 12:01 AM
From the 2011 manual -

Programming A Rolling Code System
• At the garage door opener motor (in the garage), locate the “learn” or
“programming” button. This can usually be found where the hanging antenna
wire is attached to the garage door opener motor (it is NOT the button
normally used to open and close the door).
• Firmly press and release the “learn” or “programming” button. The name and
color of the button may vary by manufacturer. Within 30 seconds, return to the
vehicle and press the programmed HomeLink® button twice (holding the
button for two seconds each time). If the device is plugged in and activates,
programming is complete.
• If the device does not activate, press the button a third time (for two seconds)
to complete the programming.

bigralphy
04-26-2011, 12:20 AM
This method did not work for me. I had to use the opener remote instead of the learn button even though it says not to. It was the only way mine programmed.

brad12kx
04-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Here is another tid-bit that affects some (mainly Canadian) garage door systems -

Gate Operator/Canadian Programming
Canadian radio-frequency laws require transmitter signals
to “time-out” (or quit) after several seconds of
transmission – which may not be long enough for
HomeLink to pick up the signal during programming.
Similar to this Canadian law, some U.S. gate operators are
designed to “time-out” in the same manner.
It may be helpful to unplug the device during the cycling
process to prevent possible overheating of the garage
door or gate motor.
If you are having difficulties programming a garage door
opener or a gate operator, replace “Programming
HomeLink” Step 3 with the following:
3. Continue to press and hold the HomeLink button,
while you press and release (“cycle”), your handheld
transmitter every two seconds until HomeLink has
successfully accepted the frequency signal. The EVIC
display will change from “CHANNEL # TRAINING” to
“CHANNEL # TRAINED.”

1) Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position.
2) Place the handheld transmitter 1 to 3 in (3 to 8 cm)
from the HomeLink buttons while keeping the EVIC
display in view.
For optimal training, point the battery end of the
handheld transmitter away from the HomeLink
3) Simultaneously press and hold both the chosen
HomeLink button and the handheld transmitter button
until the EVIC display changes from “CHANNEL
# TRAINING” to “CHANNEL # TRAINED”.
Then release both the HomeLink and handheld transmitter
buttons.
If the EVIC display states “DID NOT TRAIN” repeat
Step 3. If the signal is too weak, replace the battery in the
handheld transmitter.
It may take up to 30 seconds or longer in rare cases. The
garage door may open and close while you train.

Stump3r
04-26-2011, 12:38 AM
I've tried everything, followed the destructions to the letter, tried for rolling codes etc. Even been on the homelink site to ensure my owners manual instructions match what homelink says.
Since first posting I can now get my old transmitters working or my wireless keypad but not both and I cannot get homelink to bite at all.
I like Maddog's idea, that will be next.
Not a huge deal if I don't get it working but I just want to tell everyone I have a $40,000.00 garage door opener :P

Thanks Brad for posting the instructions, appreciate the effort.

brad12kx
04-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Sometimes technology is great. This appears to be NOT one of those times. :(

GTyankee
04-26-2011, 03:09 AM
I bet if you use 2 ppl & follow directions perfectly, it will work

with mine on the 3rd try with 2 people, it worked
a bit later it stopped working
the guy that lives upstairs bought a new TV & desktop computer, when he leaves it on, my door doesn't open, but, it always closes
i have to grab one of the Sears remotes to open it & it takes a couple pushes sometimes
irritates me that the Homelink doesn't always work

northernblue
04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I've tried everything, followed the destructions to the letter, tried for rolling codes etc. Even been on the homelink site to ensure my owners manual instructions match what homelink says.
Since first posting I can now get my old transmitters working or my wireless keypad but not both and I cannot get homelink to bite at all.
I like Maddog's idea, that will be next.
Not a huge deal if I don't get it working but I just want to tell everyone I have a $40,000.00 garage door opener :P

Thanks Brad for posting the instructions, appreciate the effort.

I had similar problems with rolling codes. I gave them a call at homelink, number in your manual, and the girl there walked me through the steps. No problem. I have an Overhead Door opener, and there were specific instructions for mine. Some of them need specifics I guess. Give them a call, very helpful.
:smileup:

Bigboyky
04-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Glad I'm not alone in this.... I've tried everything the book says, except calling. That's on my to do list.

Chris11Ram
04-26-2011, 05:29 PM
I tried the way the owners manual said with no luck, then I called Homelink and she told me a different way and it works now! Mine is a 2002 Craftsman BTW.:smileup:

Stump3r
04-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Success!!! Called Homelink and once he was done everything worked!

Here is what we had to do for my 2002 Craftsman.
1. Reset or clear the garage opener of all codes.
2. Rebind the Craftsman transmitters to the opener.
3. Clear the homelink codes on the truck.
4. Press and hold the homelink button on the truck while holding the transmitter open button.
5. Press the bind button on the back of the opener.
6. Press the homelink button you just programmed.

Park truck in garage (if it fits, mine doesn't) enjoy a frosty cold beverage!

I'm positive what did it was the clearing of the current codes on the opener itself then rebinding the stock transmitters. Something must have been messed up. I have everything working now. Two handheld transmitters, wireless keypad and the Ram.

RansRAM
04-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Good job, glad you finally got it working. I have a genie and it took me some time to get it working with homelink. The instructions could have been written a little clearer.

Bigboyky
04-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Good job, glad you finally got it working. I have a genie and it took me some time to get it working with homelink. The instructions could have been written a little clearer.

I have a Genie also. What did you do to get it working?

RansRAM
04-27-2011, 12:21 PM
I followed the instructions givin in this post and got it to work. I also remember having to hold the transmitter as close as possible to the homelink buttons while doing the procedure. I assume you are having some difficulty with it ? I hope this link helps, let us know,

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76155&highlight=Homelink+programming+problem+solved

MrPEZO
04-27-2011, 01:20 PM
It's either a Canadian thing or homelink just doesn't like an old Sears Craftsman door opener! For the life of me I've tried everything to get this damn thing to work and no way! I have a newer push button wireless keypad and your conventional openers. I had everything working until I tried to program the homelink in the truck. Now all I can get to work is my wireless keypad. My two old transmitters will not work now either. Anyone run into this before?

I tried the same thing with my Sears Craftsman door opener and it did the same thing it didnt work and made the clip on visor transmitter stop working.
I dont get it the wifes 2006 Charger did it just fine per directions back in 2006. I guess I need to try these updated instructions or call.

Bigboyky
04-29-2011, 01:49 PM
I followed the instructions givin in this post and got it to work. I also remember having to hold the transmitter as close as possible to the homelink buttons while doing the procedure. I assume you are having some difficulty with it ? I hope this link helps, let us know,

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76155&highlight=Homelink+programming+problem+solved

Worked! Cleared channels, unplugged the opener, then everything feel into place! Thanks, it was driving me nuts!

lirussell
04-29-2011, 02:08 PM
I have a rolling code opener and tried to program using instructions, learn button etc. There was no way I could get it to work so I just activated the door remote and the truck button at the same time and held them on. msg in Evic said\;# 2 trasmitting and after quite a while it changed to #2 training and finally, #2 trained and it worked. Not even close to what the instructions said for rolling code. I did the same thing at a campground gate two days ago with the same result

daddymountainman
05-03-2011, 01:24 AM
i am having same problem with my new truck and over head door opener

jandave
05-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Yup - these instructions worked flawlessly for me as well (Chamberlain). I had pretty much given up on it until I ran across this thread.

vmal21
10-16-2012, 09:01 AM
There is another sept that you need to make in some cases. Its different for some of the garage door openers...Use this link to read the instructions.
http://www.homelink.com/

It worked for me

Grubrunner
10-16-2012, 11:35 AM
My Homelink works.... But the range is terrible.

I did use a separate adapter to improve the range but it only did so by about 10FT at best.

I now carry the original remote and I can pop or close my door from over 175FT away. The very best I could get with the Homelink is app. 50FT.....on a good day.