DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Not sure what's leaking, need advice.

822 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  albow 
#1 · (Edited)
Please see my new thread. I couldn't figure out how to delete this one.

Trying to come home from the lake with my boat while ago, my check gauges idiot light came on (was only 2 miles from where I left the lake). I looked down and saw the temp gauge pegged and immediately shut off the air and pulled over. The truck was idled up and I could hear the fan running. The temp came down quickly. I looked under it and could not tell if the water was coming from a lower hose, the radiator or the water pump. Best I could tell, it was the radiator though. Fortunately, other relatives came by a couple minutes later and also had bottles of water. I threw them in the reservoir and limped back to the campground, but every time I had to go up a little hill, it tried to overheat, coming back down to the edge of hot as soon as I was able to back off or coast. I guess my question is, How difficult is it to change the radiator or water pump if that's what it turns out to be? I am heading right back up there now before it gets dark and hopefully can tell more with it cooled off some. Also, I am thinking hard about throwing some stop leak in there, as they say it works fine these days in most instances. Thanks in advance for your replies and I will look here when I get back home. Oh, it's a 2003 Cummins, the 305 hp model. with a manual 6 speed tranny and it has A/C.

See less See more
#2 ·
i believe once you get the fan & pulley off its a piece of cake to pull the radiator, I have never pulled a radiator on a vehicle that the hood & grill were one piece
once the radiator is out, the water pump is easy also

good luck

#3 ·
Thanks. Is it hard to get the fan and pulley off? I managed to get it back home, but still not sure what's wrong and unfortunately it's complicated to explain and I've got to get to bed now. I'll post what's so odd about it tomorrow evening. Hopefully some others will have chimed in by then as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.