DODGE RAM FORUM banner

weird a/c

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  packman055 
#1 ·
My ac compressor works randomly mainly in the mornings but when it gets hotter during the day it wont kick on or randomly will after 15-20 minutes of driving I checked the freon and it has the right amount in it does anyone know what to do to make it work all the time its really hot here in oklahoma and my gf would really appreciate me getting it fixed lol

#3 ·
When you say it won't "kick in," does that mean that the clutch isn't engaging, or does it mean that it just isn't cooling?

If the clutch isn't engaging, is the clutch getting electrical power? If its getting electrical power but not engaging, then the clutch air gap is probably too big and just needs to be re-shimmed.

#4 ·
Hello, I was trying to relocate a different A/C thread to comment on, but I'm familiar with one possible answer to your problem. I have multiple Mopar products so I've dealt with similiar issues a couple of times. From your post, it looks like you have cool air while moving but not after stopping for a few minutes (like at a stop light). Look to see if the electric condenser fan is coming on when you're stopped with the A/C on. If not, your high pressure switch is probably kicking in while you're stopped and when you take off, the air flow cools, thus lowers the pressure in the system and your A/c compressor kicks backs on. The fix is relatively easy, replace the fan.
Don't try to use a small universal fan, it won't work. I tried that the first time. I think it's still on my son's truck. Buy the proper fit fan, aftermarket is OK.
When you replace the fan, you DO NOT have to D/C the system. I just cut the section of the shroud that the lines would have to go through. It hasn't affected performance at all. I've done this to multiple vehicles, all my own. I think the only reason the shroud was engineered/moulded that way is to make you think twice about doing it yourself. You will have to splice two wires if you want to keep the factory connector.And you also have to massage the shroud out and then the new one in, but it's not that difficult. If that's your issue good luck!
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.