Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : 1/2 to 3/4 ton suspension

FF54
07-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Hey guys and gals, I got a 98 1500, 4x4 sport. I've been building this truck little by little, but now Im on to the suspension. I'll be honest, I was raised runnin and buildin fords so they are what I know. I know with the generation of them i was runnig, you could swap over 3/4 ton suspension to a half ton just like replacing the 1/2 ton suspension. I was wondering if it can be done on the dodges to? This truck is my daily driver, do a little wheeling with it, but use it as a truck to. I know it will ride like a brick $hit house, (thats the only good phrase i know to describe it), but I also know, it'll give it a little bit of a lift, and extra carrying capacity. So, is it a matter of just swapping out the leaf springs in the rear, and the coils in the front, as well as new shocks? or won't the heavier leafs and coils come close to fitting? TIA

GTyankee
07-02-2011, 02:41 AM
i am not sure about the suspension on a 1998 Dodge truck
but doesn't the rear end have LEAF springs?
if it does, you can add or remove leafs to get the suspension that you want or need
some are full length, some are helpers, maybe 1/2 the size

In my area there is a spring shop, you tell them what you would like to have & they give you options, they also suggest shock absorbers to go with the options

they can heat your springs up & put an arc in them or flatten them out, you name it, they can do it

99 ram slt
07-02-2011, 06:17 AM
can can put the 3/4 ton springs on ur half ton and bolt right up jus make sure that u get the same width rear springs as whats on ur 1/2 truck.

tbeaton
07-02-2011, 12:21 PM
is it a ifs front or solid?

Schmitz
07-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah you can swap coil and leaf springs over to your truck and if you want the axles are even interchangeable, no modifying needed.

FF54
07-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks, yes the rear are leafs, and yes the front is coils. It is solid front end. As to adding leafs and what not, thats all fine and dandy if you wanna come and do it, but I'll still be stuck with the factory leaf springs that have 146k miles on them that I dont know what they were put through. Its time for new. That's good to know about the axles to, as those might be in the future as well.