DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2006 1500 AC Problem

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BgHrn 
#1 ·
Hey guys.....I went to the store a couple days ago and everything was working fine, but when I came out 10 minutes later my ac started acting up. It is still blowing cold, but the air flow has been reduced by about 60%. There is a vibrating noise along with a noise that sounds like the air is being blocked coming from the passenger side. The vibrating is annoying on high and vibrates the whole interior. When I switch to the recirculating air nothing changes everything stays the exact same. When I switch to the defrost or floor vents they switch like they should but with the same reduced air flow. It makes the same noises with the ac off or the heater or with the truck off.

I checked up under where the glove box is and there is a round black cover that hangs down in the back right corner with a couple wires going into it. Im guessing its a motor? This is where the vibrating is coming from and it is also warm but not hot. I removed the glove box but I have no clue what I am looking at......any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Sounds like one of the mix doors broke. I've had 3 of them go in my '04. I found an aftermarket supplier of MUCH better quality doors & have replaced 3 three of them. I think the company name is "HeaterTreater" It requires a little surgery but isn't too difficult & beats the dealer charging $1200+ to put the same lousy quality door back in. Good luck.

#3 ·
I looked up pictures online of where the re-circ. door is and I went to that spot on my truck and found a hole. When I stick my fingers in there and feel around I feel something flat with foam on the back of it that I can move around (broken door Im guessing). When I hold this piece up and turn the truck on the vibrating noise isnt there anymore but then when I let go it gets sucked down and the vibrating in the fan starts. Now I need to figure out how to get it out of there.....any suggestions?

#4 ·
Its fixed....I took the fan out with 3 screws then put my hand up in the opening left by the fan and grabbed the door. I had to break the door in half with my hand to get it to fit down the opening... but everything is back to normal now. I'll replace the door someday when I get around to it or maybe not at all lol.

#5 ·
I just did the same thing last week. Symptoms were cold temperature, but little to no air flow, and a ton of blower noise.

Night and day difference, even without the re-circ door back in place. I have the heatertreater.net kit to install when I have more time to dig into it.

#6 ·
Can you buy JUST the recirc. door to replace it? Or do you have to buy the box w/the recirc door already installed? This happened to me last weekend. I removed the motor and the broken door was sitting on top of the blower motor. Id like to replace the door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.