Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : Locked Both Sets of Keys in my Truck

Rammin88
07-27-2011, 01:19 PM
So I woke up this morning to go to work and found out that I locked my keys in my truck. Not just my main set but both of them!:ktoe:Yeah, I'm an idiot lol. So I had no idea on what to do. Call AAA and have them try and scratch my window at the same time? Call a lock smith and pay $100? Luckly my dealership was open at 7am and decided to give them a try on what they can do about it. They ended up taking my VIN and making a key for me to get inside. Took a total of 10 min. and $4.25! Thank God!!! So I just wanted to put the info out there. If you ever lock your keys in your truck just go to the dealership and they can take care of it. :LOL:

Wildcat
07-27-2011, 01:43 PM
This is invaluable information. I am confused though how you managed to lock both sets in there?

GeauxHunting
07-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Lol, yeah. How did you lock both sets?

Upstater
07-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Great tip, thanks! :rep: I'd have never thought of calling the dealer.

Lothario80
07-27-2011, 02:24 PM
So I woke up this morning to go to work and found out that I locked my keys in my truck. Not just my main set but both of them!:ktoe:Yeah, I'm an idiot lol. So I had no idea on what to do. Call AAA and have them try and scratch my window at the same time? Call a lock smith and pay $100? Luckly my dealership was open at 7am and decided to give them a try on what they can do about it. They ended up taking my VIN and making a key for me to get inside. Took a total of 10 min. and $4.25! Thank God!!! So I just wanted to put the info out there. If you ever lock your keys in your truck just go to the dealership and they can take care of it. :LOL:

Does anyone else think that is kind of scary? Walk in to a dealership with nothing more than your VIN and get a key cut for your truck!

I hope they knew you or had something on their systems to confirm your identity :)

Smart thinking by the way! I wouldn't have thought about doing that either. :smileup:

erm
07-27-2011, 02:34 PM
I had a skeleton key (just the metal portion) cut for both my rigs and I keep them in my wallet. I haven't managed to achieve Rammin88's awesome accomplishment yet but I am prepared if I do. :D

11Ram06Daytona
07-27-2011, 02:36 PM
When I worked for Chevy some years back our parts department cut keys by VIN all the time. However they wouldn't release the key until they could validate your identity. Since most people go to the same dealership as where they bought it and/or get it serviced you are in their computer system. Walk in with your ID, confirm the key is for a vehicle you own and they were on their way.

pkr11
07-27-2011, 03:08 PM
I always make sure someone I trust has a third key just incase I ever do this lol.

Jixer
07-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Sounds to me like Rammin88 was trying to play the old "locked both sets of keys in the truck" game to get a day off of work!!:0) Sorry it didn't work for ya, Rammin88!

CajunDodge
07-27-2011, 04:58 PM
LOL @ Jixer! Seriously that sucks, but glad you got it taken care of that easily. I, too would be a little concerned though about just being able to walk in with your VIN and get a key, hope they knew ya!

- Cajun

ljinnc
07-27-2011, 05:05 PM
they are SUPPOSED to require proof of ownership, such as a registration. In my area it is required before they will cut the key.

RAMTX
07-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Good info. Thanks!!!!

zabman
07-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Be careful not to lose the key fob.Cost me $300 to replace.

FireWire
07-28-2011, 09:10 AM
The one thing I miss on my previous truck ( F150 ) is the keypad on the drivers door.
Had to use it before when I locked my keys in the truck. I have to be more careful with the Ram.

wylie
07-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Here is my solution to all this. I have another key cut that will get you in the door only. I put it in a small zip lock bag to keep it dry and clean. I then duct tape bagged key to the back side of my rear license plate. There is always a screwdriver around somewhere.

Pull Ya
07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
My ex boss(a real mental giant) locked his keys in his truck, paid a locksmith $100 to open his truck. He bought one of those hide-a-key, put a spare key in it and put it under the hood. I just laughed at him and he had no idea of why!!!!! :4-dontknow:
Jay

Blackthunder
07-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Around my area, some dealers require driver license, registration AND the title to the vehicle before they will cut you a key. Don't know if that is true at all dealerships though.

I like the old magnetic hide-a-key box method myself.

Razorbass
07-28-2011, 08:09 PM
A couple of days after I bought my Ram I dropped it off early one morning to get the windows tinted. I left it in the parking lot before the shop opened and had a Hide-A-Key under the back bumper so the shop tech could do his thing. When I called at lunch to see if it was ready, he said he could not start it with that key so he could not put it in the shop to work on it. I asked if it unlocked the door and he said yeah, but it won't turn the engine over. That's when I realized I left him the key only and not the fob. DOH!:doh:

atila
07-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Its the most important part do not try to start the truck with just a blank key or else be patient, after the third try the antithef locks the computer the only way to unlock is with a charger on the battery and the key at on for an hour.

Those with the tailgate handle that locks should have a blank key with the truck at least i had 2 with it, one with each key fob.