DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Coolant/Antifreeze for 2006 5.7L?

24K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  nightshifter 
#1 ·
Is there a cheaper solution than buying from the stealership? What brand should I be looking for? How much should I buy to fill a 5.7L Hemi in a 4x4?

Didn't know coolant technology had come so far since I've last tinkered with things in that area.

G
#2 ·
Well, ya need a a little over 16 quarts to fill the cooling system.

The FSM calls for the MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant (Formula # MS-9769) due to the aluminum in the engine. The MS-9769 is a ethylene glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT - Hybrid Organic Additive Technology). They recommend a 50/50 mix of Ethylene Glycol and distilled water.

Also, do not mix your existing MOPAR coolant with any other type. Mixing of coolants other than the specified non-HOAT or HOAT coolant may result in engine damage due to corrosion.

So, if you can find some HOAT, 100% ethylene glycol and distilled water, you can mix your own. Or, just bite the bullet and go with the MOPAR coolant. I figure the coolant is cheaper than rebuilding or replacing the engine down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.