Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : Compare 5.3 Chevy vs. Dodge Hemi

slidellkid
08-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Anybody have any previous experience with the Chevy/
GMC 5.3 liter in a Silverado Crew cab? The mpg numbers are pretty good on the GM. I've read some folks have issues with the six speed transmission on the 5.3. I will be in the market soon for a new truckk and want to look at all of my options. I have already ruled out Ford, so I am down to a Dodge, Tundra or Chevy/GMC. If you have owned a chevy with the 5.3 I'd like to know your thoughts. I know I could get info on a Chevy forum but thought I might get a little more straight forward info from previous owners here on the Dodge forum.

Thanks!

erm
08-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I had a GM truck with the 5.3L engine and it made me want my old 5.7L back. Honestly, even with the current generation programmer available for it at the time, it was a slug. Now, this was a 2005 GM so things have probably changed.

Before I bought this Dodge I test drove a new 5.3L Chevy Crew and was NOT impressed with the performance. I'm sure mileage is better now but the engine did not impress.

Normally I really like the interiors of the GM's but the current designers suck at GM. They deserve to have their eyes spiked. The dash is hideous although the seating is nice.

BlackRamHemi
08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Dont do it if you like performance!

I raced a 5.3L GMC RCSB 2WD at the local track,
Beat him by almost a half second.

...but here's the real kicker...He had a Magnacharger!

Thread with pics and slips here: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89903

DBryant
08-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Don't rule out the Ford until you drive an ecoboost. I have a 2010 Hemi, but if I was in the market for a truck right now, I would give the Ford serious consideration.

Actionjackson
08-26-2011, 06:51 PM
5.3 dont compare to the hemi.Know one the other hand i hate to say it my brother has the chevy with the 6.2 and it is awsome.Ecoboost was a let down my dad drove one and bought the 5.0 20mpg and runs great.He traded a 08 tundra in for the ford he said the tundra was a better truck.I traded a 5.3 in on my 5.7 the dodge has a way better feel than chevy 5.3 and has more comfort.im 6ft and 280lbs they dodge has the best ride of them all.

New2Ram
08-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I just traded my 07 silverado xcab 2wd for my new '11 hemi crew cab. I got about the same milage as I do now (13-14 city, 19-20 hwy), but this truck is 4wd, bigger, and 95 more horsepower. The chevy had 3.73 gears and my Ram has 3.55, but the Ram rides better, looks better, is faster, and was cheaper:smileup:

Porter_
08-26-2011, 09:02 PM
and 95 more horsepower.

then you came from the 4.8L, as did i, and it's not really the comparison the OP is looking for. the 4.8 is a good motor but it's obviously underpowered when compared to the HEMI.

Stump3r
08-26-2011, 09:03 PM
My buddy is a hardcore GM man and just traded his 08 Sierra on an 11 Sierra with the 5.3. I've done a bunch of miles with him as we work together and take turns on who drives on sales trips. Anyway he is getting about the same mileage as I am with the Hemi but where you really see the down side of the GM is in towing. The Hemi shines in that department. As far as fit and finish of the interior I find the seats in his are a touch better than the Ram but the overall fit and finish of the interior isn't all that great. GM builds a nice truck but IMO the Ram is still a step above.

slidellkid
08-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I am actually a Ford owner. I have a 2002 F150 with 200k on it. It's been a great truck and I really wanted to be loyal to Ford; however, I had a 2011 F150 4x4 with the 5.0 liter for two weeks as a rental and just hated it. The truck was very very uncomfortable to me. The ride was exceptionally stiff and bouncy. The seating was the worst....I don't think they could have made it any more uncomfortable if they tried. I don't thin you would notice this on a test drive, but I had the truck for two weeks and drove it a hundred miles a day. I could not wait to get rid of it and the gas mileage sucked badly. I am sure I will buy another Ford one day, just not the current model. That is why I ruled it out and have been looking at the Dodge, Chevy and Tundra.

New2Ram
08-26-2011, 10:34 PM
then you came from the 4.8L, as did i, and it's not really the comparison the OP is looking for. the 4.8 is a good motor but it's obviously underpowered when compared to the HEMI.

No sir, I know which motor my truck had. The 4.8 had 285 hp, and the 5.3 had 295, and the 6.0 had 300. Google 2007 silverado classic specs.

TxRam
08-26-2011, 10:34 PM
GM builds all 1500 series trucks in Mexico... strike one. The 6 speed cannot find a gear to save it's a$$... strike two. The 5.3 is just about the biggest turd on the road...strike three. If you want a GM truck, the 6.2 is the ONLY way to go. The 5.3 just does not make any torque...period. Ford has some beastly engines right now,but I don't like the styling. GM will come roaring back in 2014 with all new engines, but until then, save your money or buy a Hemi.

Toyota is the worst built truck in America, period. They can't give that excrement away.

BTW, I owned a 2009 Chevy LTZ with a 5.3L and 6 speed with 3.42 gears, and my Ram with 3.92 gears gets the same if not better fuel economy. But you're not buying a truck for fuel economy right? It's a Physics thing!

New2Ram
08-26-2011, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=TxRam;599391]GM builds all 1500 series trucks in Mexico... strike one.

That was one of the major factors in the decision I made to buy my Ram. That and the price! :smiley_thumbs_up:

6t6gto
08-26-2011, 11:11 PM
GM 1500 is built in Ft.Wayne Indiana......Dodge 1500's are built in Mexico.......JB.

Porter_
08-26-2011, 11:27 PM
No sir, I know which motor my truck had. The 4.8 had 285 hp, and the 5.3 had 295, and the 6.0 had 300. Google 2007 silverado classic specs.

ah i see, i stand corrected. i assumed the 2007 classics received the updated 5.3L.

GM 1500 is built in Ft.Wayne Indiana......Dodge 1500's are built in Mexico.......JB.

if i recall correctly my '08 Sierra was assembled in Canada (with some sub-assemblies coming from Mexico). and my Ram was assembled in the states, with the HEMI motor built in Mexico.

New2Ram
08-26-2011, 11:28 PM

Every crew cab silverado I looked at was built in Mexico. My crew cab Ram is from Warren, Michigan. The first digit in the vin is the country where it was built. 1 is USA, 2 is Canada, and 3 is Mexico.

ruger77
08-26-2011, 11:29 PM
my work truck is a 2009 GMC 2500 with a 5.3 & 3.73 rearend and it is a slug off the line> Once its moving its not bad. Just turned 56000 miles with 0 problems! Still love the Hemi alot better!

CJ.2007Ram
08-26-2011, 11:55 PM
I can't speak for the brand new 5.3 but my buddy has one a few years old and while it runs alright out is definitely down on power. Everytime he rides in my 07 he always comments on the power I have on tap, and the new rams put out even more.

Mudder
08-27-2011, 01:10 AM
I've owned a 5.3 GMC, 5.7 Toyota and a few 5.7 Dodges. The Toyota and Dodge motors are fairly comparable power wise with the edge to me going slightly to the Toyota due to the 6 speed tranny. The 5.3 is a good motor, reliable and easy to mod, but it just doesnt have the guts that the other two have. Youd have to muscle up to a 6.0 or 6.2 GM motor to get there.

gregster
08-27-2011, 01:50 AM
My feelings on the 5.3L GM is that is may be a slug, but its bulletproof. It doesnt need frequent plug swaps like the Hemi. Those lazy 5.3L dont give you the kick in the but the Hemi does, but they can run forever.

Having said that, the Hemi is still my pick!

wbowyer
08-27-2011, 08:45 AM
If you want an apple for apple power comparison to the 5.3 then you'd have to look at the 4.7 dodge motor. Add on a full liter of displacement and I think the hemi takes the cake in a BIG way.

ncgatorram
08-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Every crew cab silverado I looked at was built in Mexico. My crew cab Ram is from Warren, Michigan. The first digit in the vin is the country where it was built. 1 is USA, 2 is Canada, and 3 is Mexico.

Glad mine was built in the good 'ole USA!

MeanMango
08-27-2011, 10:24 AM
I had an 07 GMC extended cab Z71 before I bought my 2010 quad cab 4x4 Ram. My Sierra had a 4 speed trans, which is not quite as good on towing or mpg as the new 6 speed.

The 5.3 has no low end torque, which sucks in a truck and is even worse when towing. I regularly tow around 2500lbs with about 300 lbs of gear in the bed. With the Ram I can barely feel it but with the GMC it really had to rev high to maintain speed on a slight incline. The Ram also stops better with the disk brakes all around.

The GMC is a good truck but the Ram rides better, the interior is more comfortable and nicer, and it puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Also, I actually get better mpg with my Ram if you believe it or not. The only down side I see to the Ram so far is that it does require more maintenance. Spark plugs every 32k miles (16 of them) and 7 quarts of oil instead of 6.

Oh, if you do get the Ram, get the Hemi. I had a rental this week with the 4.7 and while it got better mpg, it was just as much of a slug as the 5.3 GM.

garner
08-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I almost got my uncle's 08 sierra crew cab z71 4x4 with the 5.3, that thing is slow compared to the hemi. And I get the same mpg as him

BB0204
08-28-2011, 01:08 PM
A friend of mine had the 2011 5.3L Chevy for a few months. About 3000 miles later he traded it in for a 2011 HEMI....

bombadillo
08-28-2011, 01:58 PM
I think compared to the chevy, I'd put up my 4.7 against one of the new chevys. NOT impressed when I drove a 2008 with a 5.3 in the thing. It was a used truck with around 35-40k on it and was an 08 silverado with the 3rd door, not a true 4 door and a short bed. It really felt like a pig even compared to the little powertech 4.7 I have now. I'm more than impressed by the dodge small v8 compared to most out there. Not like I'm out drag racing but when I put my foot down, I do want it to really get up and go. I have 3.55's now but if I go with 35" tires, I'm going with a 4.10 or nearest gear change I can get. Maybe even 4.56's or something even if it does kill the mileage some more. Thats way down the road though, I'm really happy with it for now.

ken99
08-28-2011, 02:10 PM
All you have to do is test drive the two vehicles. The difference is night and day in favor of the Ram 1500 Hemi. I was raised in a family where Chevy/GMC trucks ruled and Dodge was considered POS. I married into a Ford family (which also considered Dodge trucks POS) and have mostly owned Fords the past 30 years. In the 70's and 80's I worked for a business that purchased a lot of Dodge pickups for fleet use (aka, from a low-bid contractor) and those trucks largely were POS. When my wife and I needed to replace a Ford last summer with a new truck, we ended up test driving the Ram 3 or 4 times. Why? Everytime we drove the competition, we had to go back a make sure the Dodge experience was real and that much better a truck. The 5.3 Chevy/GMC trucks we drove where the most disappointing. Anemic power, poor ride, uncomfortable seats, excessive road noise. The difference is more than just the engines used. I noticed on the GMC build sheet that the high mileage package used a 3.02 rear end, which made me doubt the claimed towing capacity. After one year with the Ram, I feel I still made the right decision even if I do have family roll'n over in their graves. I do wish I had the new 6 speed tranny for towing purposes, but that's a topic for another thread.

6t6gto
08-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Single cab and extended cab dodge trucks are mainly built in Satillo Mexico.Avalanche and 3500 series trucks built in Mexico.

huntergreen
08-30-2011, 03:57 AM
as much as i would like to say i only by american products built in the usa, those days are gone, my last three rams were built in mexico and none had any problems except for ball joints. i don't think built in mexico should be a concern.

i drove a 2000 4x4 silverodo for three years and drove for 110000 miles. i found the truck comfortable with a good ride. not one repair was needed. i knew what i was going to tow and haul before i bought it so i knew it was going to be up to the task. my experience with chevy and the 5.3 was very positive. can't tell you anything about the newer model chevys.

i started driving dodges in 2003 because i do tend to put tons of miles on trucks so the 5.9 cumins engine made economic sense at the time, "cheap fuel and great mileage". the only thing i will say about chevy vs dodge is that i could have purchased any style or brand of truck out there while shopping, i chose a little 4x4 rcsb sport with a hemi, and have loved every minute of it. take nice long rides in all the trucks you are considering and decide for yourself. good luck.

bombadillo
08-30-2011, 12:13 PM
All you have to do is test drive the two vehicles. The difference is night and day in favor of the Ram 1500 Hemi. I was raised in a family where Chevy/GMC trucks ruled and Dodge was considered POS. I married into a Ford family (which also considered Dodge trucks POS) and have mostly owned Fords the past 30 years. In the 70's and 80's I worked for a business that purchased a lot of Dodge pickups for fleet use (aka, from a low-bid contractor) and those trucks largely were POS. When my wife and I needed to replace a Ford last summer with a new truck, we ended up test driving the Ram 3 or 4 times. Why? Everytime we drove the competition, we had to go back a make sure the Dodge experience was real and that much better a truck. The 5.3 Chevy/GMC trucks we drove where the most disappointing. Anemic power, poor ride, uncomfortable seats, excessive road noise. The difference is more than just the engines used. I noticed on the GMC build sheet that the high mileage package used a 3.02 rear end, which made me doubt the claimed towing capacity. After one year with the Ram, I feel I still made the right decision even if I do have family roll'n over in their graves. I do wish I had the new 6 speed tranny for towing purposes, but that's a topic for another thread.

I was even comparing them to the powertech 4.7L and I think even the small dodge motor outruns that 5.3 all day long. I drove both side by side and I was WAY more impressed with the way the dodge handles its power, how it puts it to the ground and everything about it. No its not a hemi, but it sure spanks the 5.3.

AlphaInfinity
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
I just traded off an 09 Silverado with the 5.3. Overall the truck was nice, ran well and didn't cause us any problems. I liked the truck. Hated the engine. We should have purchased the larger V8. The 5.3 gets decent mileage but you really pay the price when you talk about passing power and towing. Just didn't tow our 18 foot sea ray like the dodge does. We have mountain passes, steep inclines etc etc here in Montana. Lots of 2 lane highways. Power=safety here.

LeroyJaxson
08-31-2011, 09:16 PM
I had a 2009 1500 quad cab 2wd with the 5.3 and the 6 speed. I thought it was a great truck. I never had any problems with it. The 6 speed spent alot of time hunting for the right gear and my truck never dropped down to 4 cylinder over 65 mph. I had the 3.73 rear end and the 20 inch wheels. I got 18 at the best at highway speeds (70-75) most of the time I got 330 -350 miles to a tank (26 gal). I also think it road very nice. Now having said all those things I am a GM man from as long as I can remember. I am now a huge fan of dodge now that i have the 5.7 hemi.

Oh I did a little towing with the Chevy and i was impressed. I towed a 14 foot tandem axle fully enclosed trailer weighing aprox 6500 pounds and I only felt it in my wallet. (8-12 MPG at 75 mph)

My vote is for a hemi .

beerguy214
09-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey guys i just picked up the wife a 2011 crew cab ram hemi 1500 got a smoking deal on it.lol.I alaso have a 2011 chevy z71 5.3 that i just back in january.The only thing i don't like about the chevy is the seats every little thing sticks to them.lol.But anyways i haven't ran them together yet but the chevy goes pretty good with the 5.3 and i did get the 3.42 rearend which is the highest gear you can get now from gm with the 6 speed.But after driving both i think the ram would win but not by much.I will be a close match up and i will post the results oneday cause my wife won't race me.lol.So my brother said he will drive one when he gets a chance and will let you guys know the results.So there won't be any bs about who won because i own both and both are completely stock the chevy those is just and extended cab so maybe a little less weight but like i said i think it will be close.

bigbadwillie
09-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I bought a 2008 GMC sierra with the 5.3L brand new and had nothing but problems. I had 2 batteries replaced, 2 rear bumpers rust out, 2 thermostats blow, new paint job due to undercoat error at factory, transmission blow after 36000KM , tranny cooler lines replaced at 39000km, 3 fuel injectors and 2 computers.Tons more garbage as well.:SHOCKED: after contacting GM main headquarters and voicing my opinon to more then 12 managers and reps, GM offered me a rebate of 1200 bucks towards a new vehicle. Absolutely the biggest lemon i have ever bought. :smiledown:My family and i will never return to GM ever due all these reasons. So switching to Dodge was the best thing to happen to me in a long time.
My advice stay far away from GM.
Good luck with your choice

gray gables
09-15-2011, 09:24 PM
this is my first post here on this site, I have a 07 chevy classic extended cab z71 4x4, it has a k-n filter charger, a throttle body spacer and a magna flow exhaust, it goes like hell when it gets up to speed but for low end torque forget it, it sucks, I tow a 16ft tandem axle trailer,7x16, which has about 1500lbs of tools in it, the 3.43 gear ratio it comes with stinks, after reading this thread it makes my decision on buying a truck not easier but still need to do alot of test driving between the tundra and the dodge, sorry for all you dodge folks but toyota's do hold there value better than a dodge will 5 years from now, I wish dodge would come back with the v-10 though with today's technology, look forward to the response's from my thread, matt

dafoot
09-16-2011, 09:49 AM
this is my first post here on this site, I have a 07 chevy classic extended cab z71 4x4, it has a k-n filter charger, a throttle body spacer and a magna flow exhaust, it goes like hell when it gets up to speed but for low end torque forget it, it sucks, I tow a 16ft tandem axle trailer,7x16, which has about 1500lbs of tools in it, the 3.43 gear ratio it comes with stinks, after reading this thread it makes my decision on buying a truck not easier but still need to do alot of test driving between the tundra and the dodge, sorry for all you dodge folks but toyota's do hold there value better than a dodge will 5 years from now, I wish dodge would come back with the v-10 though with today's technology, look forward to the response's from my thread, matt

I owned 2 2nd gen Tundras before owning the Ram. The only thing I miss from the Tundra is towing. The Tundra was a better puller. However, Ram gets almost 2 MPG better when pulling my 4500 lb boat. Ram is a nicer truck, period.

Resale: Tundra YTD sales are down 12%. Ram is up 24%. If this new Ram has a good reliablity history over 5 years, Resale could go in favor of the Ram. Trade in 4 years where the Ram will have the warranty advantage. Good luck with your decision. I for one will not look at Tunda until the 3rd Gen.

garner
09-16-2011, 01:42 PM
So far resale is in favor of the tundra. A tundra 5.7 regular cab similarly optioned to a 2011 ram R/T, both with 16,000 miles is worth $4,000 more than the R/T

TxRam
09-17-2011, 11:30 PM
I had a 2009 Silverado LTZ with the 5.3/6-speed transmission. I installed ARH SS longtubes, had the heads ported, milled, and polished, and a Corsa Catback with a custom tune. There is no way that set-up could hang with the 5.7 Hemi. The best I could get was about 295 RWH, and just over 300lb/ft of torque@ the rear wheels. 5.3 L GM trucks just do not produce torque, and all the HP in the world won't make you happy without it. My Hemi gets the same or better fuel economy and is a whole lot more fun to drive. Get the Hemi, it's the best value of any truck out there right now!

CHVYKLR
09-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Hey guys i just picked up the wife a 2011 crew cab ram hemi 1500 got a smoking deal on it.lol.I alaso have a 2011 chevy z71 5.3 that i just back in january.The only thing i don't like about the chevy is the seats every little thing sticks to them.lol.But anyways i haven't ran them together yet but the chevy goes pretty good with the 5.3 and i did get the 3.42 rearend which is the highest gear you can get now from gm with the 6 speed.But after driving both i think the ram would win but not by much.I will be a close match up and i will post the results oneday cause my wife won't race me.lol.So my brother said he will drive one when he gets a chance and will let you guys know the results.So there won't be any bs about who won because i own both and both are completely stock the chevy those is just and extended cab so maybe a little less weight but like i said i think it will be close.

what gears are in the ram?

TxRam
09-17-2011, 11:37 PM
I owned 2 2nd gen Tundras before owning the Ram. The only thing I miss from the Tundra is towing. The Tundra was a better puller. However, Ram gets almost 2 MPG better when pulling my 4500 lb boat. Ram is a nicer truck, period.

Resale: Tundra YTD sales are down 12%. Ram is up 24%. If this new Ram has a good reliablity history over 5 years, Resale could go in favor of the Ram. Trade in 4 years where the Ram will have the warranty advantage. Good luck with your decision. I for one will not look at Tunda until the 3rd Gen.

There might not be a 3rd gen Tundra. Their sales suck and the are only selling about 9K per month. Have you noticed that the Big 3 are all on the fence on their smaller trucks? I think there is some back room negotiating going on here. I'll bet that the Big 3 get out of the small truck segment if Toyota gets out of the full size segment. It's just a theory, but it won't surprise me!

GTyankee
09-18-2011, 04:07 AM
if you are going to compare, apples to apples
5.7 L chevy 350 cu in against 345 cu in Hemi 5.7, should be compared. not a 5.3L

For longer drives i'll take the chevy bucket seats on a single day trip over 500 miles
suspension is better in the new Rams

Ram standard cab 1500 & all 2500s & 3500s are now made in Mexico
all Hemi engines are now made in Mexico

so i guess i'll take a Hemi powered Ram with Chevy seats LOL

garner
09-18-2011, 04:13 AM
if you are going to compare, apples to apples
5.7 L chevy 350 cu in against 345 cu in Hemi 5.7, should be compared. not a 5.3L

That's not really apples to apples though. Yes they're the same liters but the 350(non ls1) hasn't been used since the 90s and the hemi started being used in 03 so you're comparing an old engine to a newer engine. Even then the hemi still beats the 5.7 in the trucks even more than the hemi beats the 5.3 so either way it's a win for the hemi

GTyankee
09-18-2011, 04:29 AM
I guess i should keep up on who makes what then

out in my garage i still have a 327 cu inch engine that i believe would walk all over a 2009 HEMI
but then again, the 327 is far from stock & pre smog, so it is again not apples to apples

garner
09-18-2011, 04:33 AM
It's tricky to get apples to apples between chevy and dodge. Yes you could do v6 vs v6, 4.7 vs 5.3, and then 5.7 vs 6.2. But the 6.2 is only available on one trim level compared to the hemi which is available on every level. If the 6.1 was in a srt8 ram then that could be compared to the 6.2, like the srt10 was compared to the ss, but that would still leave the 5.7 in a gray area of what to compare it to

TxRam
09-18-2011, 08:58 PM

I don't know where you are getting your info, but my Ram 1500 was built in Warren, MI. My 2009 Silverado was built in Mexico. Now if you are talking about 2500 series, you would be correct.

BlackRamHemi
09-18-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't know where you are getting your info, but my Ram 1500 was built in Warren, MI. My 2009 Silverado was built in Mexico. Now if you are talking about 2500 series, you would be correct.

My 10' 1500 RCSB 4x4 was built in Mexico,
I read somewhere that all 2010 (and up) Reg Cab Short Box 1500's (including R/T's) are built in Mexico.

FYI, ALL 4G Hemi Eagle engines are assembled in Mexico too.

marshallsmith44
09-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I had a 03 avalanche with the 5.3 an my 4.7 would walk all over it, it was a slug

flipstoyz
09-18-2011, 10:14 PM
I could'nt decide between the two so I bought both. I got the 2011 gmc crew cab 2wd with the 5.3 and a 2011 express loaded 2wd. They both have a good ride suspension wise but the hp department definetly goes to the hemi. Fuel mileage is better on the hemi due to single cab versus crew cab but not by much. The gmc is my road trip ride and if I want that muscle truck feel, I drive my express. Love both trucks.

6t6gto
09-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I get my info from experience by working 30 years for GM and doing quality audits at the plants.Also owning several 1500 Silverado's all built at Fort Wayne Assy..Most of my co-workers transfered to FW and they are to this day building Silverados and GMC 1500's.Look at the door tag on the Silverado 1500's and it will show you where it is made......JB :)