DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Did I screw up?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RedneckMechanic 
#1 ·
Sorry, I've read this forum alot and gotten a TON of good info off of it. This question doesn't seem to come up much. Maybe it's just me.:LOL:

I bought a new to me 2003 2500 V10 about 2 months ago. When I looked at the truck initially I saw where it had been leaking some type of oil. The truck was a good deal so I took it to a mechanic and had it checked out. They gave me a quote to change the pcv and an A/C line. They said the oil was from a loose tranny cooler line and they would tighten it for me. So I bought the truck. It didn't seem to leak much. It was little enough I had a hard time figuring out what was leaking. Long story longer. I checked the tranny fluid and it never got low. Last week it started leaking more. After investigating, it seems that the cooler itself was leaking. Me being the rebel I am (and not wanting to get ripped off). I bought an after market cooler, cut off the steel lines right by the cooler and attached it with high pressure fuel injector hose (and a fitting from lowes). Now my lines seem to be leaking alot more. I have the hose clamps TIGHT. I'm not sure what plan B is. I hate to dump more money into it if I'm just going to have to replace it all with OEM cooler lines and a cooler. I don't seem to be able to find replacement lines anywhere. I don't want rubber lines all the way back to the tranny. I am leaving to elk hunt friday night. Any ideas? BTW, I'll be hauling a 4 horse trailer on the hunt.

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree with MADDOG. If you give Napa the lengths of everything and the details of the connections you need, they can make you lines for the fraction of the cost of buying OEM. ALSO, the lines need to be rated for transmission or hydraulic fluids. Yes, the fuel injection lines are tougher but they're not designed to resist the detergents and chemicals in transmission fluid. Within a year, those lines will be leaking THROUGH the rubber... See it all the time here at our shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.