DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Fan resistor and motor questions/help

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  michicks 
#1 ·
07 Ram 2500 with a cummins

Replaced the fan motor about 18 months ago as it was intermittently going in and out and then only working on high and it fixed the problem. Started the same thing again, this time I checked the resistor and it was shot, replaced and it worked fine for about 5 minutes before the resistor went out. With the key on and engine not running the fan controller works for all 4 speeds, with truck running it only works on high.

Only think I know to do it replace both the resistor and motor again and see if it fixes the problem.

Any other advice

#2 ·
Sounds like the fan motor is faulty and drawing too much current which in turn is blowing the resistor.

#3 ·
I had been leaning toward that thought as well, well everything out and hooked it up on the shop table. Fan worked on straight 12v, and on both high and low outputs on the resistor but both the fan and resistor got extremely hot very quickly (especially the resistor)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.