DODGE RAM FORUM banner

This truck is killing me!

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Liredneck 
#1 ·
Ok so I had a issue with the blower motor resistor, I replaced that but have a issue with that. When I took the old one out a lot of leaves and crap came out from inside there. I looked in and notice there was leaves and all on the radiator type unit inside there. How can leaves be getting in there?

Now though, my heat is working then not, what can be causing this?

#3 ·
Yea blower still works, I don't know if it is normal but the lowest fan speed is extremely low, and when I turn it up, the noise level gets louder and louder.

So you think the HCAV blend door is stuck or broken? That will fix the leave problem or heat?

#4 · (Edited)
The blend door issue would affect your heating/cooling. I can't think of a way that blend door failure would cause a noise but I dunno for sure. The blend door system actually controls two doors that sandwich the heater core and control how much air passes through it, therefore controlling the temperature of the air. If everything else is working normally but you are having trouble controlling the temp of the air then I would say you have blend door issues. Check out www.heatertreater.net for some good info and a diagnostic video.

As for the noise, is it coming from the fan motor? Something could have found it's way into your fan motor and could be making the noise. I dunno where the fan motor resistor is located but have you had the fan motor off and looked at it? It's very easy. One plug and three small bolts. If you haven't had it off and you decide too I would definitely check the functionality of the recirc door too while you are at it. It is directly up inside the hole where the fan motor mounts. It should be closed tightly one way or the other and you should be able to see it switch back and forth as you switch between fresh air and recirc. If it is just flapping in the middle or obviously broken off, fallen down, or gone altogether then it needs repair. A broken recirc door will allow fresh air to enter the fresh air intake and then flow out the recirc (interior) air intake...like having a window rolled down all the time. Good luck!

Oh and as for the leaves....they would have to be coming in from the fresh air intake. My 2006 has a screen up in there to prevent that but your truck may not. You can check for it. When the recirc is set to fresh you should be able to stick your arm up through the blower motor hole and back towards the firewall and feel it. If you are flexible enough you can slip in there on your back with a flashlight and look for it. I would think keeping the air set to recirc all the time would solve that. Or if your recirc door is broken like mine you can block off the fresh air intake like I did. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
No, issues with any of the HVAC doors would not be affected by whether or not you are actually driving. If you have a door issue it will be constant no matter what your truck is doing.

I'm no mechanic but if you have heat while moving but not while parked I would say you may have a coolant or thermostat problem. Obviously if your tstat is stuck open you will have weak or no heat but I cant think of a reason that your tstat would be open while parked and closed while driving. Can you tell a difference in the temp gauge when the truck is sitting at idle versus going down the road?

#7 ·
Well I know the truck wont put out any heat unless the heat guage is at half, which it does take some time to get to that. But otherwise when it gets to the half part and blowing out heat (only when driving) it doesn't move weather I'm parked with the truck on, or driving. If I need to replace the tstat thats not problem, can I change it to a lower tstat? like 180?

G
#9 ·
My heater issues

First of I am new here so hi to everyone.....sorry this post is long but I had similar issues with heating problems and here is what I did....

I have an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd 5.9l...little to no heat on the drivers side. I would get a short burst of hot air for about 5 seconds when the blower came on but then cold air. I have done extensive reading on different forums and heatertreater and did not want to tear my dash apart unless absolutely nessacary. I know there are many issues with broken blend and recirc doors however I layed under my passengers side with my head just under the center of the dash. I turned the key on but did not start the motor so I could hear what was going on. I turned the blower to low and I went through each setting on my control knob and listened and you can hear whether or not the doors are moving and stopping as well as feel the change in air flow from the different settings. After performing this a few times I concluded that a broken door was not the issue. I could also feel the change in temp from cold to hot on the passengers side when I turned the knob from hot to cold and hot again. I then checked my heater core lines at operating temp and they were both hot to touch. I decided I wasnt going to take the dash apart for nothing so I flushed my heater core on a whim. I removed both lines and flushed with just cold water from a hose back and forth many times. I personally didnt see anything come out of it. I put it back together and topped of the fliud and guess what....I now have heat. I believe my system most likely had a pocket of air in it causing for whatever reason not to throw hot air to the drivers side. I also changed my therm the next day and have increased my heat to normal levels.

#10 ·
on the heat issue.hotter on right side of dash than left.usealy the heater core is plugged on the far end of it. flushing it may help.the hvac housing is set up for duel zone. the far end of the heater core feeds drivers heat.and if the core has restriction,you won't get as good of heat at idle as when driveing.

#11 ·
i have the same problem . when driveing and on the gas i get great heat but when sitting or just coasting it blows cold.And it seams to be getting wourse as i have to be really on the gas to get heat now where it used to be as long as i was moving i had heat . i replaced the heater core a few months ago so i know its not that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.