Jeep Dodge Nitro Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Caliber Dodge Avenger
Jeep Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Avenger Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM
DODGE RAM PICTURES

View Full Version : New Spark Plug used in Police 5.7 hemi

theweavman
11-28-2011, 05:27 PM
I have been reading that Dodge is now installing a new precious metal spark plug in all it's police 5.7 hemis, they are being installed in all their new police package vehicles, cars and trucks.....This new plug is supposed to be good for 100,000 miles, instead of the only 30,000 mile ones found in all their standard customer 5.7 hemi vehicles......
Does anyone know anything more about this, like the factory part number and pricing?
can they be ordered from the Parts dept?
Do they fit in all the 5.7 hemis?
Any additional info appreciated, as Mine will be due for replacement in a few thousand miles, and I would like to switch to these if possible.....Thanks

TNC
11-28-2011, 11:47 PM
I saw that same information on the police application and spark plug. Coming from a lifetime of GM products and with the later models having 100,000 mile change intervals, I was shocked to see this 30K change recommendation on a modern engine. Then I hear all these horror stories about how the hemi "doesn't like" precious metal plugs, but no real definitive reason why. I'm no engineer, but I can't see why a precious metal plug of the proper heat range and tip design would be some kind of negative for the ignition system or overall performance.

theweavman
11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
I've obtained some possible new information from my dealers parts dept.

normal stock Hemi plug part # is SP-LZFR5C11, at about $6-7 bucks each, these are NGK spark plugs

Found that on a 2012, Charger with Police Equipment Group AHB, the Hemi Plug part number is SP-143877AA at $16.25 each.

They are so new that he was showing only 20 of these plugs currently avalible thru out the country. I don't know who makes these.

Currently, this is the only application listed for that plug, so not sure as yet if these are the same plugs that will be going into the 2012 Ram with police package.

I suspect that this will be the plug we are all seeking with a 100k lifespan....but right now I don't know if these will work in other Hemis, and other years...

someone may have to buy one and physically compare it to the normal plug, just to get an idea if it might be compatible

I'm sure in a little time, more info will be found.....Perhaps someone else can find out more

johnnymopar
12-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Very interesting, like TNC my Vortec 5.7L GMC goes 100K between plugs. That would be great if these plugs will bring the Hemi up to par.

RT TT
12-08-2011, 06:21 AM
i have a feeling that is a dealer only part number quick google search and crossreferance turns up nothing. also believe it to be an iriduim plug just from the price alone.

but on a side note who cares? these plugs on the cheap wil cost around 250+ for 16 and last the same as 3 sets of copper plugs for 150 most ppl do not no how to properly gap exotic plug types and will end up with premature ware also with 2 plugs per cylinder your not really oing to see any performance gains going to this style plug is it nice and conveinent sure it is but its gonna cost pretty buck for it. the police cars its worth it as they are not going to change the plugs theyll dump the cars before they hit 100k

if your truely interested in this style plug go on ngk web site and pick the proper plug. they have alot of useful info on there teaching you what the different numbers and letters mean in their product numbers.

i myself would stay away from plantium. copper or irduim only

Studbuster
12-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Our police vehicles are serviced by the hours in use, not the miles driven here.

powersof12
01-08-2012, 11:47 AM
The dealer pulled my factory GMC 5.3L plugs at 100,000 (when I had all the fluids changed) and they said the plugs looked perfect and no need to change. Check again at 125,000. I was not thrilled with the idea of changing 16 plugs every 30,000 in the Hemi and in fact, there is no way I am going to. I will push it to 50,000 since I drive easy and highway all the time.

BIG HORNS
01-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Hello from the great white north, just ran into a guy here who does mostly highway and just changed plugs in his 09 at 59,000 miles, I for one, will be looking to get 50k+ outta my plugs. Cheers and good luck. JIM

Ram2300
04-24-2012, 12:56 AM
How is there 16 plugs in our trucks when there r only 8 cylinders? I's this only a dodge thing or somethin cuz my past GM trucks only had 1 per cylinder which was 8 plugs.

AirborneSilva
04-24-2012, 07:56 AM
How is there 16 plugs in our trucks when there r only 8 cylinders? I's this only a dodge thing or somethin cuz my past GM trucks only had 1 per cylinder which was 8 plugs.

So it will pass the retarded smog laws

PX8black
04-24-2012, 09:06 AM
I googled the part number and it says it's a Mopar plug Here's the link to the first place you can buy them in my search http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/DODGE__CHARGER/SPARK-PLUG--%5BAHB%5D/6838811/SP143877AA.html

AirborneSilva
04-24-2012, 10:35 AM
So what's the advantage to these plugs that I should pay almost $14 a piece for them?

snrusnak
04-24-2012, 11:02 AM

The 5.7L and the 2008+ 4.7L have 2 plugs per cylinder.

The 100,000 miles plugs are usually and most likely iridium. It is superior to copper as it doesn't break down easily, it technically provides a "better" spark since it is a smaller, harder metal, and it has less resistance. I don't see why going to an iridium would be anything but good or at least equal.

I've heard that platinums are not good, because they cause too much resistance. I don't know why anyone would use anything other than either copper(if you're cheap) or iridium(if you're not cheap) anyway. No point in using anything in between IMO.

Does the 5.7L use the same plug in all 16 holes? Or is it a different plug on each side of the cylinder?

AirborneSilva
04-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Does the 5.7L use the same plug in all 16 holes? Or is it a different plug on each side of the cylinder?

My 2005 used the same plugs.

snrusnak
04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
^thanks for the info :smileup:

theweavman
04-24-2012, 03:47 PM
I believe one of the reasons you may often now find more than one spark plug per cylinder is due in part to the manufactures trying to improve on fuel economy to meet govt mandates.... Having additional spark plugs, give a more complete burn of the fuel air mixture in each cylinder, which should produce better combustion, thus improving gas milage and performance.... Chrysler is not the only company using multiple spark plugs per cylinder

theweavman
05-18-2012, 11:12 PM
I ordered and just received these 100K mile, Police Package Hemi spark plugs...Here is what they really are: NGK IR 11, Iridium.... Plug number is ILZFR5E 11 14MM, torque required is 18.0-21.6 with Aluminum heads or 18.0-25.3 Foot LBS with Iron Heads, per NGK website.... My 2009 5.7 Hemi Ram calls for a spark plug gap of .043.... A quick check shows that the plugs came gapped at about .040, so I will have to slightly open them up to the .043 gap. I will be installing them in the next couple of weeks when time and weather permit.....I expect they will work out just fine, as they came directly from MOPAR, and all my cross checking shows all the late model 5.7 hemi's all use the same plugs, no matter if it's in a car or truck

theweavman
05-18-2012, 11:17 PM
as a side note: I guess any of the new Bosch, Autolite, or NGK Iridium plugs, now made for the Hemi, should work as well as the MOPAR NGK IR Police Plugs, and are probably alot easier to currently get your hands on....Took me about 3weeks to receive the MOPAR ones

theweavman
05-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Just installed the new Police Package 100k mile Iridium Plugs, took me about 4 hrs total. Made sure they were gaped to .043, came gapped at about .040. The drivers and passenger side plugs closest to the firewall, were a little bit challenging, but other than that, not a really a big deal to change, I'm sure it will go faster next time, as this was part of learning experiance.. I applied some anti seize to the new plug treads, to help avoid any future problems with my Aluminum heads...and I used some dielectric gease, inside the coil boots...... Results: My idle is noticeably smoother, and wide open acceleration seems very strong.....Overall very happy, and I should be good for quite some time without having to address this every 30k miles now....My dealer wanted $200.00, to install my plugs, or $250.00 if they installed their standard 30K mile plugs..... I'm happy I chose to tackle the issue myself, and saved my money.....you will need a 5/8 spark plug socket, some universal joints and some extensions, a 10 MM socket and small box wrench for the coil packs...a 3/8 drive flexable rachet handle is a big plus, a zip tie or two as you have to move the wiring bundle, it's also easier if you release the heater hoses from their plastic clamp on the firewall and rotate the clamp up and out of your way on the passenger side.

LunchboxL1
06-01-2012, 03:02 AM
I work at a Police Department and we just took delivery of a 2012 Charger with the Hemi, I will try to get some info on the plugs for ya.

theweavman
06-01-2012, 04:02 AM
Lunchbox1, thanks for your offer, but if you check some of the newer posts above, the Police Vehicle plugs have been identified... They are NGK Iridium plugs, installed them in my 09 Ram... They work great

LunchboxL1
06-01-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the update weavman. If you like them in your ride I may replace mine also to those....I have been lazy and have not replaced my plugs yet cause I have been trying to find out the best ones to use.

Thanks again

theweavman
06-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Lunchbox1,
So far very happy with the new plugs, smoother idle, good acceleration, and as a bonus my milage improved by about 2 Mpg.... But I also think that any of the new Iridium plugs from Bosch, Autolite etc would work just as well.... But by using the MOPAR ones, my dealer can't complain if any warranty issue should arise... And you don't have to change them every 30k, while the job can be done, wouldn't want to have to do it often... Take care

LunchboxL1
06-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the info weavman

theweavman
06-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Lunchbox1, Happy to help anyway I can

phreeride
06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Theweavman,
The closest nkg part# I could find is IFR5E-11. This is described as a laser iridium spark plug. Are there any markings on your plugs that might validate this?

theweavman
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Phreeride:
The part numbers are as follows for the Mopar Police Package 100k plugs...
Mopar # SP-143877AA
NGK # 1LZFR5E-11,
I think the number your looking is probably correct, looks like they just dropped the first 3 letters for some reason... The NGK plugs are marked NGK IR, for iridium....
Might check out moparpartsoverstock.com, using the Mopar number... They can get you the right plugs.....hope this helps

GTyankee
06-04-2012, 04:23 PM
They don't recommend using the Platinum plugs close to the coil paks, because they burn very hot & have been known to melt the coil paks
It is ok to use them in the upper 8, away from the coils

One of our site Sponsors, Mopar Online Parts has the recommended NGK plugs for less than $4 each, plus shipping
they wrote:
SPARKPLUG [Part# SPLZFR5C11]
List Price:$4.60
Your Price:$3.16

Shipping would be about 13.XX

NGK website info
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/car_truck_suv/results.asp

------------------------------------------------------------------------
from your Owners Manual, Maintaning your vehicle, page 511, mentions the Champion Spark Plugs
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84757290/370/FLUIDS-LUBRICANTS-AND-GENUINE-PARTS-Engine#outer_page_456

Champion also makes the spark plugs for our Ram 5.7L
Champion part # REC14MCC4

By the way, i changed my plugs at about 42,000 miles, i still have them
all have good color, the electrodes, insulators, etc. all look good
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

theweavman
06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
GTYankee,
First the Mopar Police Plugs are made with Iridium, not platinum...second: in the newer 5.7 Hemi engines there are no upper and lower plugs... All plugs are paired side by side on each cylinder.... Third: the plugs are deeply recessed and are a few inches away from the coil bodies
Fourth: the plugs being discussed are directly avalible from Dodge, and we're designed for use in these engines...
Fifth: they cost about 16.50 each, but only require replacement every 100k miles rather than the 30k interval that Dodge recommends for the less expensive standard plugs....
It's all about choices my friend, I choose these new plugs and was posting the info for anyone who might be interested in changing over to a better and newer technology plug, thanks for your input

phreeride
06-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Theweavman,
Actually I think they dropped the second two letters (LZ) which probably stands for laser. I'm almost certain this is the same plug. I don't want to wait 3 weeks to get the mopar plugs. My local advance auto parts carries the nkg version so I think I'll try them. The only concern I have is the correct heat range. As long as the plugs are the same length as stock I should be ok. Folks have been chiming in not to run these plugs but because you're having no issues I'll try them. If I have problems the store will take them back for exchange. Got nothing to lose right?

wvcoolvinilla
06-04-2012, 04:45 PM
One note of to give pause if I may... I have to use the iridium plugs in the 496 mag in my Sea Ray 280 Sundancer they are $18.00 each for marine application.. He is my one thing... last year I had my IAC valve go bad and before I could make it back to the dock all 8 plugs fouled out and had to be replaced. SO to me I will continue to use the 30K copper version. You can change them three times for the price of an iridium plug.

theweavman
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Phreeride,
Yes there seems to be alot of people who are somewhat confused, they don't seem to understand that the plugs in question are factory engineered plugs than Dodge has been bragging about in their own police vehicle advertisements.... Took awhile to track them down and check for cross application....
I understand your not wanting to wait....
All I can tell anyone, is that the plug numbers I mentioned, I have installed in my 2009 Ram 5.7 Hemi..... They are performing just fine, no problems what so ever so far, and as a bonus I've gained about 2 mpg average.... And a smoother idle.... Please people make your own choices, but My view is if cop vehicles with long idle times and high performance use can rely on them, then so can I....

phreeride
06-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Lesson learned
The plug I mentioned earlier (ifr5e-11) is not the same plug as the Mopar iridium plug (ilzfr5e-11). The two letters after the first letter (lz) represent important  characteristics about the plug. 
The attached document on page 12 explains with those letters mean. 
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/sparkplugs/SparkPlugData.pdf
As you have suggested previously plugs with this designation cannot be found on NGK's website. They probably only can be ordered through Mopar. 
After talking to a Denso representative he suggested I run the IKh16 Iridium plug. These plugs are available at my local auto parts store at 8.50 each. It took me about 5 hours to install these plugs and the truck idles smooth and runs great. I have not been able to validate the mileage yet but certainly it isn't worse.

theweavman
06-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Phreeride,
Good info on the plug numbers and letters thanks, glad you found a plug to try.. 5 hrs, doable, but not fun huh? I'm in no hurry to do it again, though I think it would go faster next time.... I hope your plugs work out well, I very happy with the ones I put in.... Post how you like yours after you get some time on them

DodgeRamMan71
06-28-2012, 06:14 PM
I ordered a set of E3.68 spark plugs. They run about 5.99 per plug plus they offer a 5 year 100K warranty.
Part Numbers: E3.40, E3.42, E3.44, E3.46, E3.48, E3.52, E3.53, E3.54, E3.56, E3.58, E3.60, E3.62, E3.64, E3.66, E3.68, E3.70, E3.72
E3 Automotive spark plugs used for personal, family or household purposes are warranted to provide an experience of more power on less fuel, quicker starts and less fouling than competitive standard spark plugs, and to be free of defects in material or workmanship, for five years or 100,000 miles from the date of purchase.
I was able to get a discount and paid 83.77 with ship to my door. I read the manual and it said 32K miles or 24 months. I bout my RAM May 11, 2010, so 24 months are up. Go check out the plugs.

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/

theweavman
06-28-2012, 09:59 PM
You may wish to read some of the blogs on this web site about e3 plugs, before you go to all the trouble to install them... I've no personal experiance with them good or bad, but I have read several blogs complaining about them... Hope they work well for you

DRamrod
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Lesson learned
The plug I mentioned earlier (ifr5e-11) is not the same plug as the Mopar iridium plug (ilzfr5e-11). The two letters after the first letter (lz) represent important *characteristics about the plug.*
The attached document on page 12 explains with those letters mean.*
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/sparkplugs/SparkPlugData.pdf
As you have suggested previously plugs with this designation cannot be found on NGK's website. They probably only can be ordered through Mopar.*
After talking to a Denso representative he suggested I run the IKh16 Iridium plug. These plugs are available at my local auto parts store at 8.50 each. It took me about 5 hours to install these plugs and the truck idles smooth and runs great. I have not been able to validate the mileage yet but certainly it isn't worse.

5 hours?! I haven't taken a close look at the plugs, but are there any special tools that you needed to get this done? I ask because some of my previous cars were the biggest PMA. Thanks!

snrusnak
07-03-2012, 04:00 PM
About the E3's, I only have one experience with them but it was terrible. Put them in my s10 and it stumbled a lot(not undriveable, but was worse than with the old plugs) and had less power. Put the old plugs back in and it ran fine. Then decided to replace with oem plugs.

theweavman
07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
You will need a good selection of extensions, I also suggest a wobble joint and some universal joints, a good proper sized spark plug socket, I think it was a 5/8 if my memory is correct, and it's very helpful to have either a spark plug starter tool or a length of the right sized hose to use as a starter tool, a good spark plug gapping tool is also a good idea... Get some anti seize thread compound and some dielectric grease for the coil boots.... The coil bolts are 10mm, so you will need some metric tools to address the coils.... You may also need a couple of new zip ties.... Prepare to spend about 3-5 hours.... It's doable but not fun, oh yea, you will probably need a short ladder or step stool.... And of course, it will be much easier if the engine is completely cold.

Chunkem
07-07-2012, 02:03 AM
I will be speaking with my dealer and inquiring if they are available......

theweavman
07-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Your Dealer's parts dept. should have no problem ordering them for you, but most likely they do not have them in stock... The Mopar number is in this thread

TRCM
07-30-2012, 03:33 AM
So what's the advantage to these plugs that I should pay almost $14 a piece for them?

You hink that's bad, try buying iridium plugs for a Mercuy Optimax outboard.....I need 6 every year, and they are $24 each.

AirborneSilva
07-30-2012, 08:23 AM
You hink that's bad, try buying iridium plugs for a Mercuy Optimax outboard.....I need 6 every year, and they are $24 each.

That does suck but at least there's not 16 of them.

theweavman
07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
The advantage, one set lasts 100 thousand miles, rather than just 30 thousand.... Most dealers charge about $200.00 or so to change them.... If doing it yourself your looking at between 3-5 hours in labor....
And from my experiance, I'm getting better gas milage and smoother engine idle
I think if you do the math, you will see the advantages

Pearl2012
09-06-2012, 08:49 AM
The advantage, one set lasts 100 thousand miles, rather than just 30 thousand.... Most dealers charge about $200.00 or so to change them.... If doing it yourself your looking at between 3-5 hours in labor....
And from my experiance, I'm getting better gas milage and smoother engine idle
I think if you do the math, you will see the advantages

It would be great to use these plugs as some of you have, but I have been advised that they will not fit/function in a 2012 Ram 2500 Hemi as the engine is slightly different than many of you with the Hemi in the 1500. I guess it has to do with VVT that my truck does not have. Seems a bit disconcerning, but it is what it is. Maybe someone else can chime in and provide some add'l comments.:smiledown:

astroman54
09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm 3000 miles away from the 30K and was advised by the dealer that the platinum plugs will work but the engine will act (in their words) "hinky" (must be one of those technical terms LOL).. AND they have seen someone who put platinum plugs in their Challenger Hemi and something with the engine went, and Chrysler denied the coverage.. Probably something not related to plugs, but seems like they take any excuse to not cover under warrentee. Since I have a 2009 with the lifetime drivetrain, I'm doing everything by their book for service just in case I have problems. Otherwise I would probably try the platinum plugs to see how they reacted. I did have one car that didn't like them so I wound up replacing them with the copper plugs shortly after. The estimate they gave me for the "Tuneup" was $500 with the copper plugs.. OUCH!

Andy

snrusnak
09-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Just go with copper if you want cheap and shorter life, or iridium if you want longer life for a little more money(actually better value in the long run though). The "middle" plugs aren't worth bothering with.

It's a misconception that different plugs give more power. They all start off basically the same, then as the cheaper metals(copper) wear away you lose some performance. Iridium doesn't wear fast like copper so the performance lasts longer and stays more constant through it's life. If you dyno tested the same engine with brand new copper vs iridium plugs the power would be nearly identical. Wait 30k miles and do the same test and the iridium would hardly change but the copper would lose performance(not a ton, but noticeable).

TRCM
09-06-2012, 11:39 AM
It would be great to use these plugs as some of you have, but I have been advised that they will not fit/function in a 2012 Ram 2500 Hemi as the engine is slightly different than many of you with the Hemi in the 1500. I guess it has to do with VVT that my truck does not have. Seems a bit disconcerning, but it is what it is. Maybe someone else can chime in and provide some add'l comments.:smiledown:

Sounds like BS to me.......

snrusnak
09-06-2012, 11:41 AM
^I agree, VVT has nothing to do with the plugs, it should be fine with iridiums.

theweavman
09-06-2012, 12:45 PM
First these Mopar Police Plugs are Iridium, not Platinum.
Second, unfortuneatly I don't have any additional knowledge about the Hemi's in a 2500 vs. the 1500. I would think they are the same, but I would go to different spark plug manufactures web sites, and I would compare their part numbers for a 2012 2500 and 1500 Hemi, if all their recommended part numbers are the same for both models, then you should have no problem using them... If they recommend a different plug numbers, then I wouldn't use these.... But any recommended Iridium plug should give you the same results.... Hard to believe that your 2500 Hemi is that different....
The only difference in recent Hemi's that I'm aware of, is that the bigger Hemi found in SR8 Challengers etc.... Uses a different plug than the 5.7 Hemi's

snrusnak
09-06-2012, 12:54 PM
The only difference IIRC is the 2500 doesn't have VVT and MDS(honestly not exactly sure what things it does or doesn't have), so the plugs should be the same. Point is no matter if it has or doesn't have VVT or MDS, this has no effect on the plugs, the engine itself is physically the same.

CaddyRam
10-18-2012, 12:32 AM
I think I'll give 'em a try. Just hope there are no warranty issues.

RAMeister
06-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Just about to change my plugs...

Wondering if there has been any update on the MOPAR POLICE PLUGS - or the aforementioned DENSO plugs?

You guys still loving 'em?

TIA

theweavman
06-17-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm still very happy with the Mopar Police Plugs, no issues what so ever...... Hope they last the full 100k miles as advertised

RAMeister
06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm still very happy with the Mopar Police Plugs, no issues what so ever...... Hope they last the full 100k miles as advertised

Good to hear! :smileup:
Ordered my Mopar version today!

RAMeister
06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
And they have arrived...

http://brewersbylandandsea.com/images/plugs.png

Debating on installing them myself or having my mechanic do it for $100. After hearing all the complaints about installing them, its tempting to let someone else do it.

Can someone confirm the GAP (.043) and torque?

Thanks

snrusnak
06-23-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure what the gap is supposed to be on the hemi but if you try to gap them with a typical gap tool you will damage the iridium electrode. You may damage just by checking the gap depending on what tool you are using. You should use a feeler gauge, not that hard disc that the auto parts stores always have at the counter.

RAMeister
06-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Found an informative YouTube video from NGK on the proper way to gap iridium plugs. :smileup:

NGK video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk70oyUEftY)

huntergreen
06-24-2013, 03:19 AM
subscribed.........

RAMeister
06-24-2013, 11:22 AM
TO further clarify the gap question, I sent a message to the NGK folks from their website. Here was NGK's response:
Hello,

These plugs should come out pre-gapped to 0.044", this is indicated by the -11 at the end of the part number which would be 1.1mm or 0.044".

Best Regards,

Jason Norwood
NGK Spark Plugs ( USA) Inc.
Technical Services Administrator - Aftermarket Division
46929 Magellan Drive
Wixom, MI 48393
Office: (248)-926-7107
Fax: (248)-926-6938
Email: jnorwood@ngksparkplugs.com
ASE Certified
Ngksparkplugs.comMy Owners Manual specifies .043, so I replied asking them to clarify - should the plugs be set to the engine spec or stay at the plug spec?
It is a minor difference... So there you have the rest of the story... We'll see what their response is.

WOW got a quick response:

Hello,

The correct torque spec would be 17-21 ft lbs. and this plug will come out at 0.044 we were the OEM provider for this application and show that 0.044 is that the OEM gap is. However 0.001 will not make a difference.

Best Regards,

Jason Norwood
NGK Spark Plugs ( USA) Inc.
Technical Services Administrator Aftermarket Division
46929 Magellan Drive
Wixom, MI 48393
Office: (248)-926-7107
Fax: (248)-926-6938
Email: jnorwood@ngksparkplugs.com (jnorwood@ngksparkplugs.com)
ASE Certified
Ngksparkplugs.com

Good info.

huntergreen
06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
do the police plugs affect the warranty at all?

RAMeister
07-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Hello all,

A bit of an update on my aforementioned 16ea - MOPAR Iridium Spark Plugs, S&B Cold Air Intake (CAI) and a Diablosport I1000-DCX INtune...

All-in-All - FANTASTIC!!

I ask for and quickly received a custom tune from Diablotoona (http://diablotoona.com/) that really made it all come together. The drive-ability and responsiveness (as in throttle response) is greatly improved, seems to have a considerable improvement in power (no I didn't dyno it). For the money spent I've very happy with the results. The immediate MPG, as in the EVC read-out, shows an average of +1 mile per gallon thus far. We'll see after a tank or two.

Chris In Marshfield
07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
I believe one of the reasons you may often now find more than one spark plug per cylinder is due in part to the manufactures trying to improve on fuel economy to meet govt mandates.... Having additional spark plugs, give a more complete burn of the fuel air mixture in each cylinder, which should produce better combustion, thus improving gas milage and performance.... Chrysler is not the only company using multiple spark plugs per cylinder

That's a similar reason that my airplane has two plugs per cylinder - to help with more complete fuel burn. That and to have backups in case one set goes out. No place to pull over in the sky if something goes wrong. :Wow1:

When you've got a 360 cubic inch four cylinder, that's a lotta gas to burn!

I personally think that two plugs per cylinder is a fine idea, albeit a bit spendy when you have to replace them.

~Chris

Silvercreek
12-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Hello all,

A bit of an update on my aforementioned 16ea - MOPAR Iridium Spark Plugs, S&B Cold Air Intake (CAI) and a Diablosport I1000-DCX INtune...

All-in-All - FANTASTIC!!

I ask for and quickly received a custom tune from Diablotoona (http://diablotoona.com/) that really made it all come together. The drive-ability and responsiveness (as in throttle response) is greatly improved, seems to have a considerable improvement in power (no I didn't dyno it). For the money spent I've very happy with the results. The immediate MPG, as in the EVC read-out, shows an average of +1 mile per gallon thus far. We'll see after a tank or two.

Is this (SP-143877AA) the part number for the spark plugs you have ?

5pt7art
01-19-2014, 10:06 PM
mine has no where near 30k miles but is a little over 2 years old should i be thinking of doing this soon?

glcarter
01-26-2014, 08:02 PM
That's a similar reason that my airplane has two plugs per cylinder - to help with more complete fuel burn. That and to have backups in case one set goes out. No place to pull over in the sky if something goes wrong. :Wow1:

When you've got a 360 cubic inch four cylinder, that's a lotta gas to burn!

I personally think that two plugs per cylinder is a fine idea, albeit a bit spendy when you have to replace them.

~Chris

Actually the reason for dual plugs is the shape of the hemi pistons and combustion chambers. Drag racers found out a long time ago with a Hemi, either Mopar or HD shovelhead, (yes the shovelhead is truly a hemi) ran better and made more power with dual plugs. With only 1 plug the flame has to travel up and over the dome to burn the fuel on the far side. This meant that the flame traveled slower and some fuel was not burnt. By using a plug on both sides of the domed piston it increases the rate of burn insuring a faster more complete ignition of fuel.

As far as aircraft I would imagine that both plugs in the same cylinder have completely separate ignition systems in a redundant setup incase of failure of one. Really would suck to have an ignition failure when flying, can't just pull over to the side of the road and wait on a tow truck!

RAMeister
01-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Is this (SP-143877AA) the part number for the spark plugs you have ?

Yes, see post #56...

Scotian
01-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Actually the reason for dual plugs is the shape of the hemi pistons and combustion chambers. Drag racers found out a long time ago with a Hemi, either Mopar or HD shovelhead, (yes the shovelhead is truly a hemi) ran better and made more power with dual plugs. With only 1 plug the flame has to travel up and over the dome to burn the fuel on the far side. This meant that the flame traveled slower and some fuel was not burnt. By using a plug on both sides of the domed piston it increases the rate of burn insuring a faster more complete ignition of fuel.

As far as aircraft I would imagine that both plugs in the same cylinder have completely separate ignition systems in a redundant setup incase of failure of one. Really would suck to have an ignition failure when flying, can't just pull over to the side of the road and wait on a tow truck!

My single cylinder DR650 motorcycle has 2 plugs, and it's not a hemi ;).

snrusnak
01-27-2014, 10:26 PM
For what it's worth, the modern 5.7L "hemi" is not a hemi.