DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Radiator fluid loss?

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  bigdaddyII 
#1 ·
I filled my overflow about two months ago I put it in between the full and feel marks now it's at the fill line is this something I should be worried about or is it normal loss etc evaporation or normal loss

#2 ·
What is a feel mark? Its normal for the level to fluctuate on mine depending on whether its a lot cooler then when I checked it last, but when the temp goes back up so does the fluid. If you overfilled it any the system may have bled off the excess.
A problem like this could range anywhere from a leaking hose to a bad radiator cap to a cracked head or bad head gasket. More information would be necassary to help you any more. Check it every day or so, its at the full line now where its supposed to be, just moniter for changes.

In the meantime to try to run down the "check list". Check for any leaks of any kind coming from any coolant lines, including the ones against the firewall for the heater core.

Check to see if your overflow tube is wet, this would indicate that you could be losing coolant there

Have your radiator cap tested or just spend the $5 and buy a new one.

Check you oil to see if any water/coolant is mixing with it. This will be evident by the oil appearing to be a "milkshake".

Check for excess white smoke out of the tailpipe, sniff it to see if you can smell coolant in it.

#3 ·
There are two marks on the reservoir feel and full its right on the feel line it hasn't moved to much and it's been a little colder then normal here so I'm hoping it's normal I have no smoke or smell in my pipes and I don't see any signs of leaks

#7 ·
Dont sweat it, none of us were either until we learned through interest or trial and error because we had to.

If you could though, take a pic of your reservoir markings. I want to see that "feel" mark and burn brain cells wondering why its called that. The setup on my 02 is different then your 05, I believe they did away with the degas bottle somewhere around 2004.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.