DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2011 Ram remote start

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  666 
#1 ·
I recently bought a new ram 1500 ST. i didn't get the factory keyless entry or remote start. I usually just install an aftermarket one. I have been looking at the Viper 5501. I have went to a couple place around town and they have told me different things for what parts i need. I will be installing this myself because shops around here charge extra for every little thing. I have installed many compustars before in various vehicles.
So my question to you guys is, What bypass modules will i need to run just the command start and keyless entry?
I have the black ignition key that has a square bottom and says "Ram" on it.

#3 ·
I had a buddy that works at best buy do mine, ST model as well. Went with an Avital, hit it once and it starts, hit it again and the drivers door unlocks, double tap it and all doors unlock....not the range of the Vipers, but it's like 1/4 mile. I'll get with him tomorrow and get you some numbers, should be the same as mine.

#4 · (Edited)
You are going to need a "DBALL" by Xpresskit, which is made by directed electronics which make the Viper alarm. This device will access the CAN and send most of the digital signals needed for start, and also will provide power locks, as well as the RDIF key security code. These aren't terribly hard to hookup, because multiple wires from the alarm/autostart brain get hooked to this device, and it relays this info onto 1 wire(CAN). Any good installer will "bench wire" all devices first, tape the multiple harness needed and then install. I think the new technologies make this easier, as thinner gauge wires are needed as you and the auto start aren't actually starting the vehicle, the computer is....:smileup:

#5 ·
thanks for all the info.
i might just get it hooked up at bestbuy. they are selling the cipher for $299 including basic install. i don't get any money off if i install it myself so i might as well get some of it hooked up for me.

#6 ·
Remote Start

Hey 666,

I am planning on installing a viper aftermarket keyless/start on my Ram ST next week. I got the DBALL to interface with it.

I was wondering if you ended up doing this yourself or not?
If you did where did you hook up the accessory wire? At the TIPM module?
Also any tips?

Thanks in advance

#7 ·
Yes I did it myself. You won't need any accessory wire. You just run a ground and constant to the dball. The data 2 data supplies the viper with all power needs. It's stupid easy to do. I would get a couple of the tap connectors for the door trigger makes it easier

#8 ·
Connections

Thanks 666. Now bear with me i am relatively new to this and thought i had it figured out, but its seems not. On my install sheet the from the dball it says to connect the viper to ground and 12v.

Anyway could you tell me what connections you made to the dball and the viper? Also where did you connect you 12v power. To the battery or the factory 12 pin node harness

Thanks a lot

#10 ·
I just looked at my install again. The power and ground do go to the command start. The dball takes it's power from the command start and the t harness. Got myself all confused lol. I know my astro start needed two wires for the door trigger. Not sure what the viper needs. I have a website that has all the wire diagrams for any Chrysler. I will look for it in my bookmarks. Also when I ran the 12v and hood pin wire to the engine bay I unplugged the grommet for the hood latch cable and ran it through there. Made a nice clean install.

#12 ·
Thank. That site makes it nice. I am almost done. I just can't locate the purple wire for the dball R.A.P off to attach too? There are lots of purple wires and it doesn't specify which harness to use. Do you know what the yellow/black dball wire goes on yours.
Thanks for all your help by the way.

#13 ·
I'm pretty sure there was no rap off from the dball. I used the dome light in the dash panel for the positive and negative door trigger. I believe it was the green connector just below the a pillar on the drivers side. Yellow and white for positive and brown/orange for ground. Not sure if the viper needs a positive and negative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.