DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cam swap in California??

12K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  07HemiRam 
#1 ·
Has anyone done a cam swap with a custom tune and passed smog? I have seen on on the Diablosport website that the Diablosport is not legal for sale or use in California! Can a cam swap and custom tune pass smog in CA???

#3 ·
yes, if you get a diablo and get custom tuned you can get it to pass smog (I did with mine).. I have a tune specifically for smog testing an then swap out for normal tune afterwards... where in the oc are you, one of my real good friends lives in murietta and he's the socal version of me (norcal)...but he has done way more swaps than me...he hasn't run his truck on the track in years but despite that, still has the 2nd best 1/4 time for any qc 5.7 ram...

#5 ·
Thank you for your response chefred112! That is exactly what I wanted to hear because I'm planning on doing a cam swap when I'm on spring break next year so just starting to do my research. I am in Lake Forest CA about an hour and a half away from Murrieta CA. So you have 2 different custom tunes? What cam are you running? I am looking at Inertia Motorsport's Spartan cam because I want a pretty big cam. Also do you take off your BFI intake for smog?

#6 ·
Your truck sounds awesome...I like the electric cutouts too! :smileup:

#9 ·
right now I'm at 100/125 i think..i't been so long that I haven't changed the jets i don't know whats in there... as for trannys, i think I've swapped mine 4-5 times..but I'm always gettin free or junk yard ones anyways...except for the first rebuild, I paid a total of $150 for all the tranny's..just like havin spares..lol

#10 ·
That's a lot of tranny swaps hahaha...but if you get them cheap I guess it doesn't matter so much.

#12 ·
Hahaha I thought that was crazy that his numbers were that low giving all the mods he has done. That is the route I want to go and possibly far down the line I would like to do a stroker kit...392 or 407 :smileup:

#13 ·
hehe..you think like i do..already have a hemi on an engine stand, just tryn to figure out which stroker assy to go with...

#16 ·
Hahaha I was looking around and there are quite a few kits...Callies, K-1, Inertia which can be 392, 400, 407. I think the 407 would be awesome...when I graduate college in a couple years this might just have to be my graduation present to myself :smileup:

#17 ·
I'm probably looking about this time next year when I have a week off school and 3 or 4 days off work...summer is crazy for the socal hotel industry so won't get enough time off to do it then. Is a cam swap difficult in the 5.7s? Haven't done a cam swap but it is something I would like to do as a learning experience if your friend would be willing to help out that would be awesome since he's done a bunch of them...probably has it down to a science.

#18 ·
it's one of those things you want to see the first time..you'll then think it's easier than you thought it was.. I had another member from another forum come out and help me do mine (I handed tools to him :) ), after which i did another, and another..and 25+ swaps later i think i got it down...hehe

#19 ·
Yeah probably true! What all goes into a cam swap? I have a Haynes repair manual but it seems there are some unnecessary steps. Do you have to remove the radiator or can you squeeze the cam out without doing that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.