DODGE RAM FORUM banner

no engine heat

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Slitherbeast 
#1 ·
1994 dodge 4x4 cummins. for so reason my heat never gets over 145 when its cold out 0 or close to it. Have installed new thermostats 4 times with no results. On this model there is a small hose that bypasses the thermostat would it help to close it off. not sure what its for anybody know?

#2 ·
The bypass hose is for when the engine is cold. It keeps the coolant from going through the radiator when it doesn't need to be cooled. DO NOT close it off.

Where are you getting the 145 number from? The cluster temp gauge or are you using a temp gun/thermometer?

#4 ·
I could be, but I doubt it. Usually a bad cap causes an overheating issue. I would suspect the sensor not sending enough volts to the gauge. Try and get an accurate reading from a thermo gun sensor or get the truck up to normal running temp and stick a thermometer in the radiator. Take extra care in taking the cap off. There shouldn't be any pressure, but just be careful.

#5 ·
Yesterday the temp was 10 degrees out and checked the temp at the radiator was at 150. but was a little warmer out. From day one when I got the truck in 94 the temp would vary. Would work up to 180 then drop to right down to 140. It would continue doing that at all times. Talked to Dodge and was told they had a special thermostat for it so had that put in. Actually worked for 50 miles then back to where it was up and down. Have just been living with it sense. Guess I can live with it like this but would be nice to get more heat when its cold out. Here in Montana we do get a little cold weather.

#6 ·
Yesterday the temp was 10 degrees out and checked the temp at the radiator was at 150. but was a little warmer out. From day one when I got the truck in 94 the temp would vary. Would work up to 180 then drop to right down to 140. It would continue doing that at all times. Talked to Dodge and was told they had a special thermostat for it so had that put in. Actually worked for 50 miles then back to where it was up and down. Have just been living with it sense. Guess I can live with it like this but would be nice to get more heat when its cold out. Here in Montana we do get a little cold weather.
You think!?! And I complain when we hit the 20's for 1, maybe 2 weeks during our "winter" season.

#7 ·
My truck runs at @140-150 degrees and I get plenty of heat inside the truck. But that’s here in the Midwest temps. And we just had a few days in the single digits. If you never change out your heater core, there’s a good chance it’s clogged up some. Just did mine a couple of weeks ago and now I have HEAT inside the cab. For the past 2 years I always had to run the blower on low speed in order to get any heat. My old heater core never leak so I never smell any antifreeze insie the cab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.