DODGE RAM FORUM banner

3rd Brake Light Leak

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  micar71 
#1 ·
Well, it looks like Dodge has not done anything to fix this known problem. It rained really hard here in Florida last friday night, got in the truck and the whole back of the headliner around the rear window was dripping wet. Headliner is stained. I've read that this has been happening on the Rams since 2005, it's hard to believe that they did nothing to address this. My truck never leaked in the 5 months I've owned it, it must have been the angle of the truck where it was parked or something? Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they do for me, I'd really like a new headliner and the fix for the light done. Anyone deal with this on your 2011 Dodge Ram truck yet?

#2 ·
Yes it's pretty common. Some don't leak, some leak minor, some leak major, and some leak years later.

If I were you I'd fix the leak yourself the way I did, see this thread, it takes about 30 minutes and $10. It will be a much better, longer lasting fix than the dealer's (they will most likely just slop on some silicone caulking).

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87346&highlight=window+leak

I agree though the headliner should be replaced by the dealer free of charge.

#4 ·
The reason I did the fix myself is because I know 3 other people personally that have had this fixed by the dealer, and they all got silicone. It was very sloppy(you could actually see it from far away), and when they had to change the bulb out they had to scrape the caulking off, then redo the seal anyway(big mess, waste of time, and PITA). It took me less time to do it myself than it would have to take to the dealer anyway, and if you're going to complain about $10 then well, anyway.... lol

But to each his own...I digress...

#6 ·
Ok well I don't think there is an "updated" or "fixed" part for this, so the new part you got is probably identical to the original except the gasket is brand new. I don't know that for a fact, but about a year ago when I was at the dealer, there was no "new" part to fix this, only a replacement original.

The problem with the factory gasket is that it is like a sponge, it is porous, so once it gets soaked with water (heavy rains) the water seeps through it. The material I used to make my new gasket is a solid rubber (not porous), so it will never leak....

#7 ·
3rd brake light leak

Just picked up the truck from the dealer, they fixed the leak, not sure how, I did notice with a flashlight, it looks like a new gasket. Don't see any silicone from the outside. They cleaned the headliner, which I inspected and looks like new so I didn't complain. I'm thinking of hosing the truck down when I get home to check for leaks. Keep you posted. Thanks for the responses!

#10 ·
Had the same problem with mine. The dealer told me that they put a new "thicker" gasket in and I shouldn't have anymore problems. Sure enough no more problems. I was also talking to a buddy of mine and this is not just a Dodge thing, his Ford does it. He has had his fixed 3 times now. Maybe they will fix it someday.

#11 ·
Truck leaked again through the 3rd brake light, got the headliner all stained. This is after the dealer fix a few weeks ago. I called the service manager today and I was not happy. He said he would personally work on it next time I bring it in. I told him I wanted a new headliner because I'm sure they are cardboard underneath and that will fall apart soon after being wet two times. Take the truck in thursday, keep you posted.

#12 ·
Not to be a jerk, but remember when I said this:

If I were you I'd fix the leak yourself the way I did, see this thread, it takes about 30 minutes and $10. It will be a much better, longer lasting fix than the dealer's...
and this:

...It took me less time to do it myself than it would have to take to the dealer anyway...
Just follow my write up; save yourself the time and aggravation, and it'll never leak again...if you'd just done it the first time it would have been fixed 30 minutes later.

#13 ·
Not to be a jerk, but remember when I said this:

and this:

Just follow my write up; save yourself the time and aggravation, and it'll never leak again...if you'd just done it the first time it would have been fixed 30 minutes later.
GEEEEZZZZ....Man, you're a jerk....LOL. I'm already agitated trying to work on a washing machine. I don't think I could handle additional stress and time on lousy workmanship from the dealer. I'm wondering If I should just take the initiative and replace it myself BEFORE it leaks?

Glad I saw this.

Mike

Mike

#16 ·
Yeah, you're right Snrusnak, I should have. The thing is now, they agree to a new headliner after the leak is fixed, so I'll wait to see what they did and I'll follow your instructions and do it myself and then request the new headliner in a few weeks. Funny thing is, I dropped it off this morning to the dealer with your printed instructions on how to fix it. Lol

#20 ·
yeah, you're right snrusnak, i should have. The thing is now, they agree to a new headliner after the leak is fixed, so i'll wait to see what they did and i'll follow your instructions and do it myself and then request the new headliner in a few weeks. Funny thing is, i dropped it off this morning to the dealer with your printed instructions on how to fix it. Lol
that is freak'n hillarious!!!!!:lol:

#18 ·
I just called the service manager and he said they replaced the whole 3rd brake light assembly with a new part number one that Dodge said to use. Not sure if that has a better gasket or not. I'm going to look at it this weekend and if it's that sponge gasket, I'm replacing it. I think the techs just do what Dodge states they need to do to fix a problem even if they know themselves it isn't going to work. They probably don't give a rats ass. I'll let you know what the new assembly looks like. Thanks for the info on replacing the gasket Sean.

#19 ·
Hope it works out. I know 6 months-12 months ago when I researched it there was no "updated" part. The tech at the dealer actually told me there was but upon ordering it it had an identical gasket, just brand new. I told them to keep it on the shelf I wasn't going to use it...

Maybe now they have updated it though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.