DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ran my truck at Tri-State Dragway

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  USAF Long 
#1 ·
I made about 10 runs. The track was not busy but it wasn't prepped good at all. There was no VHT. Just water and rubber that was it.

My first run was my best. I think it was 14.96@90mph. I turned off traction control, used tow/haul mode, and left it in drive. Skipped the water box, and just punched it and ran.

That was my only 14 second run of the day. I tried the tow/haul off, burning out a bit, stalling up the converter, tried the other lane, lowered my tires to 25 psi out back, manually shifted 1-2-3...

Best MPH was keeping it in 3rd (2nd prime) and I got a 93.98 mph. All the rest of my times were between 15.0-15.45 and anywhere from 90-94 mph.

I want to get on another track thats closer that has new surface and they spray VHT on the starting line. My 60' times were all 2.2-2.4 and I was spinning every time which I can't even do on the street. The damn rubber on the track was hurting my traction.

I had the spare and jack and tailgate removed. Air filter removed, 1/4 tank of 93 octane.

Only modification I have done is replaced the factory muffler with a Magnaflow Y-pipe.

Here's a video my girlfriend shot with my digital camera... the digital zoom sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLx-EUtVi1o

See less See more
#4 ·
it was 83 and humid sticky. I let it sit an hour but my first run was the best right when we got there after driving down about an hour, stopped across the road for gas, went to tech, then parked it for 20 minutes and made my first pass.

I went to Kilkare Thursday but it was closed since it rained earlier. I'm going to be out there this Thursday god willing its not raining. Kilkare preps the track better. Its so sticky I lost a shoe pushing a car off one time.

#5 ·
What state are you in?! Look up what your DA was on dragtimes.com , go to tools and select DA calculator and put in your track, date and year, and select about what time it was that you ran and it will let you put in your 1/4 mile time and it will correct it at a 0 da, let us know what it says

#8 ·
I'm sure the humidity wasn't helping. It had been raining all week and the air was nice and sticky. It had been in the 70's and low humidity the past week which would have been better. I'm more disappointed about the lack of prep on this backwoods track than the weather. No matter what I did I couldn't get the big truck moving off the line worth a damn. I found some 17x9" rims I'm going to save up for and then put some 275/50 M&H drag radials on them and some Nitto's up front. That should cut weight, increase traction, and lower my effective gear ratio up around 4.30:1 for faster acceleration.

I also want to put a tuner on it but I'm holding out for Diablosport to release a 2013 tuner as I have a friend who can write me a tune. I've heard the bully dog isn't really that great and people have had a hell of a time getting the right tune files on it.

I want to do an intake and a throttle body upgrade, I'm thinking Vararam might be the best one out there. I looked at nitrous systems and found one that has an 85mm throttle spacer plate with the nozzles in the plate so I could match that with an 85mm ported throttle body, then hide the soleniods somewhere low on the firewall and put a rubber hose over the nitrous lines to make them look like vacuum hoses.

I really want to do 4.10 gears and a 3200 rpm converter but those mods are expensive due to the installation costs added and I would have to pay someone to do it. I could do the converter myself but I don't have a big garage at my apartment and have no idea how to set up and shim gears so I'd be stuck paying labor. I will probably buy the parts this winter though and put them on the shelf and get them installed before next summer.

#9 ·
Eventually a cam and headers. I'd love to get this truck in the 12's on motor and either low 12's or high 11's on nitrous.

#10 ·
Ran it at Kil-Kare last night. Despite the better prepped track with fresh surface, I was still pulling 2.3 second 60' times.

I only made two runs because the place was a zoo and people kept blowing up their chit and scattering parts and fluid on the track which took a long time to clean it up.

First run I got lined up with an F-250 Super Duty quad cab long bed power stroke w/ about a 6" lift and 35's. He had a-pillar pod and a 5" exhaust and not sure what else but it was loud and smoked like a chimney.

I was hoping this would be a good race because I have friend with a similar truck who is talking s%&* but I can never catch him out when I'm in the Hemi. We lined up and got the better reaction time .499 to his .559 and I pulled a better 60' at 2.31 to his 2.61. I jumped ahead and held the lead but he was keeping pace for a while. At the 330' I ran 6.33 to his 6.62 and I had him at the 1/8th with 9.65@74.76mph to his 10.27@59.96. Shortly after the 1/8th I heard a loud backfire and he fell off behind blowing smoke. At the 1000' mark I had him good at 12.45@87.16mph to his 14.33@55.30 and at the end I took him by a longshot. I ran 14.88@91.30mph and he rolled through at 18.48@50.75mph.

I'd guess he popped an intercooler pipe loose. He was running later but I couldn't see his times from where I was in the staging lanes. I like to race my truck but I also like seeing what other cars run and when you're stuck in line all night and can't see the boards its not as much fun for me.

The 2nd run I got lined up next to an LT1 Firebird Formula with a huge ram air lift off hood (WS6 style scoops but much taller). It had drag radials on the back on a set of LS1 Z28 wheels. I knew I was going to lose but I was hoping to run quicker than my last run. I got taken to school. R/T .216 to their .085. 60' was 2.33 to their 1.98 (not as good as I thought that car would hook). I crossed the 330' in 6.39 to their 5.63 and ran the 1/8th in 9.73@74.31mph to their 8.62@82.37mph. My truck ran 1000' in 12.55@87.19mph and the Firebird ran 11.21@93.93mph and I was staring at it's tail lights when I crossed the line at the 1/4 in 14.92@95.08mph. The Firebird ran 13.41@102.41mph.

I set a new best E/T with my 14.88 run and my new best MPH at 95.08 (left the trans in "3"). The first run I just left it in "D" and had tow/haul mode on and traction control was off for both runs.

Had a guy come up to me in the pits and ask about my truck. He had a Hemi quad cab 4x4 that ran 15.7 and he was interested in my exhaust setup so I showed it to him and let him listen to it.

I still can't get this truck off the line. I went around the water box and then punched it quickly but it didn't spin this time. If I'm spinning at this track I'm not hearing it and they had been spraying VHT all over the starting area.

#12 ·
New best friday night was 14.60@96mph. I'm happy about the 96 mph. 60' was 2.2 seconds still.

They magically lost one of my time slips. I ran an Acura RSX type-S and it was close, he beat me one run, I beat him the next, he beat me the next... it was always down to who got the best launch. In the finals I got eliminated because he got a better launch. I had a 14.60@96mph to his 14.80@94mph. but he had about .2 better reaction off the arm drop.

They had strippers out there from Diamonds Cabaret doing the arm drop starts. Of course my class was the 13.00 index so I had no chance of winning it heads up in a mid 14 second truck.

Some of the street cars were comical... license plates and insurance is all it takes to qualify. And it had to drive to tech under its own power. Didn't have to stay running long either. So yeah the car that won was a turbo 8 second mustang with a removable front clip, exhaust through the front bumper, slicks, cage, gutted, outrageous stall.... street car.

#14 ·
I like how NMRA does their street car shootout. All the cars have to be fully legal and insured, complete a 30 mile cruise, and then hot lap the cars at the track.

If these guys had street legal tires they must have been DOT slicks like the Mickey Thompson ET Streets with the two little grooves. I know for sure there were cars that weren't on a radial tire.

I'm happy with my new best time though.

I start in 1st (trac off, tow/haul on) and then let it shift to 2nd. I then bump it to 3 and cross the traps and let off, put it up to D and turn off tow haul but it hangs a bit before it shifts I guess it can't decide if I want to shift it up right away? I hate this lazy ass transmission, it shifts like mush. I don't know how some of you guys are getting them to chirp 2nd gear, mine won't.

I leave off idle. I have been going around the water box and then I punch it before I get to the line, sometimes it spins a little. Then I wait til the arm drop or the last yellow and put it to the wood.

#15 ·
Here's some videos of my truck over on the youtubes.

Here I am showing a Power Stroke what the tail lights of a Hemi look like.

My girlfriend filmed this from the tower and bet someone $5.00 on my truck against the RSX Type-S

First pass ever in my truck. 14.98@90mph. This track sucked for prep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.