DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Gas mileage is killin me

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  STERLING RAM 82 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got my new ram, but i'm getting 13.9 MPG (hemi). Now, I did expect it to be this low or lower, I'm just deciding on what MODS to do in order to get some relief. I know I'm going to get a tuner (Diablosport is what i've been reading the most about), a cold air intake, and change out the exhaust system.

Which intake and exhausts should I get?

How much will they help?

What else should I do that isn't ridiculously complex or expensive?

#3 ·
I think you mean 13.9 MPG.

I would go with the diablosport tuner. I have a volant cai and I love it. Especially since it is a sealed CAI. As for exhaust it's all really your preference on sound. If I were you I would also do a Y pipe swap while you are down there doing a muffler swap.

They will help a little bit, but nothing crazy.

#5 ·
It will take about 2 years to recoup your savings from those mods, (do them anyway cause that's what truck are for) you will see performance gains but nothing substantial in fuel efficiency. I hate to say it but "suck it up buttercup" it isn't going to get any better for a while. If it makes you feel better I paid $5.825/gal this morning and will be averaging about 1000 miles of travel per week for the next three weeks, do the math, it isn't going to be pretty.

#7 ·
intake/exhaust usually have negligible mpg gains. Tuner's most often have a very small mpg gain like maybe 1 mpg. So tuner is your best bet. Lighter/smaller wheels/tires would probably be a good idea. The best bang/buck would be cruising at 5-10mph slower on the freeway.

#10 ·
I see al these posts about bad MPG and then red they are 14-15 and I am thinking wow if I could only have that problem I get 11 and have gotten 12 out of 2 tanks in the 4 months I have had the truck. I have come to the conclusion that this is the way it is going to be. I didn't by the truck for the mpg.

#11 ·
I have to agree with Bruce on this. If MPG's are a main concern, we shouldn't be driving trucks. That said I added a magnaflow catback system to my truck and seen a 2 mpg increase. I now get 15 city and 20 highway. A lot of this is going to depend on "how" you drive as well. If you are heavy on the pedal then you are not goin to get the best MPG's. As far as a CAI: unless you are going to pair this with a ram air hood or other appurtenance that it is sealed and using cold air, then you will not get any noticeable increase. In that case, you might as well just put in a drop filter. My setup gave me another 1-1.5 MPG's. I actually just got finished with installing a 6" lift and 325/60/20 tires so I will probably lose most of what I gained with the previous mods. My next purchase will be the tuner to recoup some of these losses and give myself the manual options I want. Good luck with your choices. Personally, I wouldn't base your decisions off of gaining mileage; while it is a perk to get the additional fuel economy, it will take quite some time for the savings to add up to what you paid for the Mod. I just go with the Nike slogan when I want something, haha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.