DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Sub upgrade for 2012 R/T

754 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Pilot20 
#1 ·
Hello all!

New member of the RAM club here.

I have a 2012 RAM R/T that needs an audio upgrade.

I am replacing the dash speakers when they arrive and I want to add a subwoofer and amp.

I have read a lot of threads about RAM audio upgrades and correct me if I’m wrong on this stuff, but from what I understand, this is what I am confronted with…

I have the Alpine system in my regular cab. There are 7 speakers, but no subwoofer. None of the speakers are sent full range signals.

I have a amp and sub. The amp has speaker level inputs and that is how I was using it on my previous truck with very good results. I just tapped into the rear speakers and ran the signal through the amp and out to the subs.

It doesn’t sound like it will be that easy with the R/T.

From what I gather from reading these threads, I need to get a device that will sum all the signals, splice it into the factory head unit behind the dash and then run those “summed” wires to the amp.

I’ve done plenty of car audio work in the past, but taking off the dash and finding the correct wires doesn’t’ sound easy.

It would be nice if the rear speakers would supply the sub frequencies that I need, then I could just tap into those and I’d be done. However, I read somewhere that those two rear speakers frequency are cut at 50hz, and that wouldn’t be good for a sub. I also read something about the head unit (730N) adjusts the bass output depending on vehicle speed, which wouldn’t work well for what I have in mind.

I don’t have any interest in replacing the head unit or doing a ton of work to get the modest sound improvement that I’m looking for.. I just want a bit more sound quality that what the Alpine system can do without tearing out seats,etc.

I think that with the replacement of the dash speakers and a couple of subs behind the seats, I will achieve what I’m looking for.

Am I on the right track or do I have some misinformation regarding a possible upgrade?

Anyone care to chime in here and help a guy out?

RAM makes a very nice truck. I’ve owned Fords for more years than I care to mention, and I am very happy with my R/T. Now, if I can get the SQ improved, I will be a happy camper.

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.