DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Towing in OD or 3rd with auto trans?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  erm 
#1 ·
I'll be pulling a 16' double axle trailer - I'm not sure what the weight of it is...I would guess 1500#. Will be hauling approx. 3200# on top of that. Truck is '00 RAM 2500 V-10 auto with OD. The trip with the load will be 1100 miles. Is it recommended to tow with tranny out of OD or am I safe to run it in OD? Not sure of final ratio - either 3.73 or 3.5(?).

#4 ·
Your truck is designed to pull a lot more than that. If you have a Tow/haul switch, switch to 'Tow' mode and enjoy the trip. If you don't have a 'Tow/Haul' switch, then like BigThirsty suggested, down shift by 1 gear if the trans is 'hunting' (shifting often between gears).

I have pulled much heavier trailers with my previous Ram 2500 trucks, and never had the luxury of the V10. You 'Have' the right truck for the job. :smileup:

#5 ·
I'll be pulling a 16' double axle trailer - I'm not sure what the weight of it is...I would guess 1500#. Will be hauling approx. 3200# on top of that. Truck is '00 RAM 2500 V-10 auto with OD. The trip with the load will be 1100 miles. Is it recommended to tow with tranny out of OD or am I safe to run it in OD? Not sure of final ratio - either 3.73 or 3.5(?).
If your truck is running the stock size tires and and probably 3:55 gears (3:73 is not a chrysler ratio) it should easily handle 5000lbs.
As suggested I would let the truck decide but you can probably run the OD on flat roads, and if the tranny is kicking od to accelerate you may need to run with the OD off. But that big V-10 should haul 5k like a rocket.

I'd hate to try it with a 318, and my 360 would struggle.

FYI: My owners manual says max trailer wt 12k to 13 k depending on cab and bed style and a 5th wheel hitch for trailers over 10k and a class IV hitch for trailers weighing up to 10K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.