DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2010 4.7

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Darkknight3829 
#1 ·
Guys I have a 2010 4wd crew cab I plan on pulling my 2 horse trailer with it. What mods would you all consider would be the most help to me for towing engine wise? Im not sure how the rear coil spring suspension is gonna do with the weight either.

#2 ·
Rear springs

This may help
Total Load Control

login | cart | checkout

Order Here:
Inquiries Welcome

Home > Dodge Ram 1500 Coil-Spring ('09-'11) > TLC for Dodge Ram Coil-Spring Rear Suspension
TLC for Dodge Ram Coil-Spring Rear Suspension

MSRP: $799.00
Price: $599.00 New Year's Special

Item Number: DCS-1551
Quantity:

Total Load Control is the only rear suspension enhancement designed for 1/2-ton pickups that uses full-size 9-inch air springs. The lifting power and cushioning properties of the air springs combine to boost hauling and towing capabilities, dramatically improve handling and stability and provide the best air-cushioned ride ever.

Why do you need Total Load Control? The stock suspension simply cannot handle all the forces that you encounter driving in the real world. While all other pickups have a simple leaf-spring rear suspension (the design of which hasn't changed since the 1950s), the 2009 and later RAM 1500 has a coil-spring suspension. That's why hauling or towing really heavy loads makes the back end sag and the front tires lift, creating steering difficulties, uncertain handling and a rough ride. Total Load Control eliminates all those problems and keeps your truck level and safe.

But TLC adds something more – Total Safety. Inflating TLC's air springs pushes the front tires down to virtually eliminate oversteer and understeer. TLC also tightens the back end and reduces body roll. With TLC engaged, you'll have a feeling – and reality – of total control of your truck and whatever you're hauling or towing.

Each Total Load Control kit comes fully equipped with air springs, precision-manufactured steel components, custom-built control panel for in-cab manual operation, all air fittings, hardware, wiring kit, and installation instructions for on-demand operation (optional air compressor sold separately).

#3 ·
What is the weight of the trailer (loaded)? Dependin on your gearing and wheel/tire combination, your towing capacity changes. It basically ranges from 6,000 lb at the low end to 7,000 lb at the high end. If you have 20" wheels and 3.55 gears it's likely the low end, and if you have 17" wheels with 3.92 gears it's likely the high end. Make sure to use tow/haul mode when towing loads as it will help save the torque converter clutch, and aid in "drive-ability" when passing or such.

I highly recommend a superchips flashpaq (roughly $350.00) as it will actually improve your mpg and has many options like 93 octane performance tune (adds 67 lb ft of torque max) and tow tunes (it helps a lot, I have used it). The tow tune helps protect the engine by retarding timing, and helps towing in general by giving you more torque at lower rpm's and holding gears longer. They actually change the shift schedules in their tunes. It's by far the best bang/buck mod.

#10 ·
Add as much low-end torque as you can. Horsepower is out of the question for something like this. I believe Hughes has a towing Torque Converter that would work really well.

#11 ·
Add as much low-end torque as you can. Horsepower is out of the question for something like this. I believe Hughes has a towing Torque Converter that would work really well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.