DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Annoying squeak on front end..but where?

32K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  D.Rowe 
#1 ·
My 2005 Daytona has been with me for a few weeks now. I'm hearing this annoying squeak that when driving appears to be coming from the front of the truck. My best guess is front end of truck but everything feels tight and looks in place....any ideas on what this could be??? :4-dontknow: It's not super loud but its load enough to annoy....sounds more like a plastic squeak to me....thoughts?:att:

Dave

#3 · (Edited)
RamTech...thank you for the thoughts...

What kind of lube would be best for this?

Dave

#4 ·
#5 ·
Fantastic...looks like its worth having a can of this around anyways. Will look into grabbing some.

Suggested locations to spray to attack this squeaking noise?
Can this lube be used on door hinges too? Got a squeaker on one door.

Dave

#6 ·
I have a can of the Wurth stuff in my garage too. It's fantastic stuff.

It will work on door hinges and you don't need a lot on any spot you spray it on.

I would hit every shock bushing, suspension bushing, steering link and even the body mounts. Any where a mechanical component is joined, especially in the suspension!

Good Luck.

#8 ·
Thanks MADDOG..will post back after I hit these areas...

#9 ·
Will do and thank you again! Man I love this place.:smileup:

#10 · (Edited)
Guys,

Wurth product on my doorstep last night...got up early this am and have a "spray party" on all the suggested areas plus door hinges..etc. Took my Daytona up on the highway...the noise is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This stuff is really amazing!!!!

I probably have a few more spots to find and hit but WOW! Yes..it is expensive but it already is 100% worth it.

Is there a suggested time frame to reapply this ? every month? 3 months 6 months? I'd use it everyday if there was value.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Great product here!:smileup:

#11 ·
Guys,

Wurth product on my dorrstep last night...got up early this am and have a "spray party" on all the suggested areas plus door hinges..etc. Took my Daytona up on the highway...the noise is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This stuff is really amazing!!!!

I probably have a few more spots to find and hit but WOW! Yes..it is expensive but it already is 100% worth it.

Is there a suggested time frame to reapply this ? every month? 3 months 6 months? I'd use it everyday if there was value.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Great product here!:smileup:
I just use the stuff as needed but it won't hurt to use it more often as a preventive measure.

#12 ·
Question...I can't see what is really connecting into the tire/rim as far as connections nor do I know much about the details but is there any value of a blind spray behind there?

I can only turn my wheel so far so can't really see in there without having her jacked up.

#13 ·
If you're talking about the ball joints and tie rod ends, theres no need to spray anything there. The boots on these links are sealed, so unless you want to pinhole the boots and spray some in there, you can leave them alone. If you get a noise from one of those joints down the road, you might try it then.

#14 ·
Squeak is back..urg...maybe i missed spraying something...will touch up a few spots again. The noise seems to appear when there are bumps in the road only...

#16 ·
So my focus here is anything i can see in the front wheel wells with the wheel fully turned...seems to be a ton of stuff there that could benefit from a spray or two....i could have missed something so I'm chalking the noise up to me just missing something for now...more tomorrow morning when I can re-spray....really hoping I can find this because the noise is driving me nutz since I'm such a perfectionist.

What I can say is that all 4 doors open as if they were brand new now thanks to a few quick sprays in each.

#17 ·
If it only squeeks on bumps, you might need new shocks/struts. if you park your ride and get out and push down repeatedly on the front end, like your testing the shocks, does the squeek appear? if so, i would look into getting them adjusted if possible or replacing the bushings on the mounts for them or just replacing them entirely. I dont know much about shocks and struts though, so i dont know if they even can be adjusted.

#18 ·
Will try this in the am before spraying anything...good call on this..Thanks!:smileup:

#19 ·
Still there!

Darn squeak is still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lubed everything i could see in the front wheel wells. I'm wondering if this is something else now. Feel like it could be a plastic piece of the hood or a loose piece under the hood (ie. latch or something). Driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:wtf:

#20 ·
:SHOCKED: Urg! Squeaks still there...really sounds like it's right under the hood.
Wondering what can be tightened under there now????

#21 ·
my truck squeeked just like this when a front shock needed to be replaced... It was so annoying i couldnt stand it. The only way i could get it to stop squeeking was if i used a silicone based lubricant in an arrosol can cant remember what its called. The parts dealer at the dealership thought i was stupid when i said it squeeked and said there is no possible way an oil shock can squeek, showed him wrong haha Anyhow the dealship said there was no excuse for an oil shock to squeek and replaced it for free.

#22 ·
I'll try some of the spray I have....where exactly did you spray?

#23 ·
OK..some new info..the squeak is still there but I got a few people to listen real close while I rocked the truck a bit. We have isolated the squeaking under the hood..specifically the latch that locks the hood. Never realized how long this thing was. Anyway....with the hood up and me rockin the truck it was dead quiet..no squeak. Hood back down..squeak back. There may be too much play in the latch so it could take a few times but the noise has been isolated....FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 ·
Still have this isolated to under the hood for sure but as I mentioned before with the hood fully raised ..NO Noise when I rock truck.

Could be the latch..could be the black bar that run underneath most of the edge of the hood (not sure if it has a name??).

Will loosen and tighten some of the bolts on this piece..lube anything I can see that could use lube...and keep my fingers crossed.

I have the performance hood on my Daytona with a separate piece that inserts into the cut out..could be this too.

Be nice if it could hit 50 degrees so I can actually enjoy doing this.

URG!!!!!:doh: Sooooooooo annoying!

#25 ·
I think I got it!!!!

Lifted hood today loosened all nuts under the hood and re-tightened...lubed just about everything in site. Took her for a drive and nothing....nothing at all. The real test will be tomorrow morning after a chilly night here CT.

Please let this be it!!!

#27 ·
Oh boy...:SHOCKED:

To all the potential areas under my hood that may have been the culprit..

:knee7rm:

GONE! GONE! GONE!

Thanks for all the help, ideas, and suggestions guys!
:smileup:

#28 ·
I was going to suggest tie rods. I had one do that to me. There is some grease you can buy that has a syringe-type of tip on it. You use that tip to penetrate the boot and lube her up. I had a Mercury Mountaineer that needed this every 6 months or so.

Who would have guessed it was the hood latch? Wow. Glad you found it.

#29 ·
I wish I could say 100% that it was the latch..it was in the long list of nuts and bolts and item directly under the hood that i lubed loosened and retightened. Took an hour but soooooooo worth it.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.