DODGE RAM FORUM banner

ideas

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  sweet lou 
#1 ·
hey ive been wanting to start upgrading my truck again.
any ideas besides cai or exhaust.
im getting a programmer but not sure which one. recommendations?

#2 · (Edited)
for an 01 i would 100% get the superchips 3715 .
gains up to 70 ft lbs of torque and around 50 Hp. on a 5.9L. i would imagine they would be about the same on a 5.2L
they say that the magnum engines respond very very well to the superchips.
i have one on my 5.9 and its bad to the bone!

another great mod for a 5.9 is Harland sharp 1.7 ratio roller rockers. wakes up the low end.

also you could move your iat sensor into the air intake tube, and a 180* thermostat will help.

you could switch over to an e-fan and free up some horsepower, get some under drive pulleys, and put in some lower gears for better take off power.

#4 ·
i would go with 4.10 gears, good off the line not too much lost in high speed. unless you going to get bigger tires, then i would go with 4.56 gears.
remember if you have a 4x4 you have to re-gear both axles! and its not quite a diy project.

#6 ·
3.73 or 4.10 fo sho! I ran 3.73 in my Mustang and loved them. Gained quite a bit in the quarter, and still ran a 143mph top speed down the interstate. I mean on the track. What were we talking about again? Oh yeah. Have you looked at replacing the heads or cam? Possibly diving into the stroker motor world? That is some serious HP along with the Superchips nim81 mentioned.

#7 ·
i have heard many good things about 3.73's it just all comes down to exact specifications ill have to look that stuff up.
and who speeds on the interstate?!?! thats illegal. we would never do that lol
and ive looked into it but im in college right now so i dont have enough money to go into deep motor modification. im gonna get a cam but thats in the future for now im stickin with mild/moderate engine modification but i for sure know that im going to stroke it in the future but idk what to.
and i found the 3715 programmer but i also found the new model flashpaq 3865. idk which one to get

#8 ·
3.73 would not be that noticably different from the 3.55's it would be more of a waste of money. im sure they were great in a mustang being majorly lighter vehicle, with a lot better power to weight ratio.
there were 2 stock gear ratio's from factory for rams , 3.55 and 3.92. if your going to spend the money on gears, go all out ....

as for the superchips, i would go with the new model. i like my 3715 but would rather have a new model, the only reason i got the old one is because it was only $100!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.