DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My Build Thread..Slowly Coming Along

10K views 56 replies 8 participants last post by  tminor 
#1 ·
Okay so to start this off my 98 ram 1500 sport 5.2l with 131k on the clock and it is my first truck..i had been looking for months before i got my license so i could find one i like and start modding it..well apparently jersey in home to some awful 2nd gens and i was set on getting one...i had looked at this one and after looking at a couple more pulled the trigger and brought her home..paid 3600 knowing it would need some work but it was in great shape compared to the others i had looked it.

Here's a pic of her getting loaded up to come home:
Automotive exterior Vehicle

needless to say i was one happy kid and once i got her home i instantly started looking her over and checking everything and started making a list of what it would need...at the time i didnt know it would be a long windy road...its gonna take a while to upload all the pics but itll be done soon enough!

See less See more
#2 ·
heres a pick of the day she left:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Pickup truck

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

the first thing i did was wash her and when i removed the bed liner there was a foot of mulch...so i power washed it and gave it a nice coat of bedliner..
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

and after i began to clean up and undercoat the whole truck(because jersey winters destroys trucks)

next on the list was the rear pinion seal..and of course it was a dealer part..so after waiting a week that seal was replaced
Gas Automotive exterior Car Steel Metal

(sorry getting all the mechanical stuff out of the way first)

Attachments

#3 ·
View attachment 29664
View attachment 29666

the first thing i did was wash her and when i removed the bed liner there was a foot of mulch...so i power washed it and gave it a nice coat of bedliner..
View attachment 29666

and after i began to clean up and undercoat the whole truck(because jersey winters destroys trucks)

next on the list was the rear pinion seal..and of course it was a dealer part..so after waiting a week that seal was replaced
Gas Automotive exterior Car Steel Metal

#4 ·
View attachment 29664
View attachment 29666

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive exterior

View attachment 29668

#6 · (Edited)
that night i started researching mods and good upgrades for my truck and thats when i came across the z and man its helped me a ton! especially double0ram!
just want to say thank you for all the help!

moving on...

it wasnt long before i came across wermbang and his black mamba cai:
decided to make my own!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

after reading up on and completing that i had been reading about the tb mod..i had no idea what this was but with a little research on the z i found out it was the throttle body mod..my dad didnt beleive it would change anything he thought it would just mess things up..but i was determined...
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive exterior

View attachment 29671
Auto part

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Fuel line

here's a link to my write up:
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=113172

#7 ·
so after that was all said and done it was time to tackle the exhaust...the old one was horrible rusted welded together and right after the cat a nice ole soda can hold er together!(ill try to snag a pic of that soon)
but after a lot of research and a review of the bank account i went with the summit cat back 3in in 2 1/4 out with 3.5 in tips after some sweat modifying and long nights it was on..what took so long was getting the old one off:
Leaf Road surface Tree Plant Asphalt

Pipe Table Automotive exterior Bicycle part Auto part

Product Cylinder Metal Steel Vacuum flask

Tool accessory Tool Cutting tool

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Automotive exhaust

i love the exhaust and for 300 bucks it was worth it just wishing it had more tone and eventually planning to but a flowmaster muffler on it and replace the soda can!

#9 ·
well these mods were put on hault about a month ago..after finally getting to drive her with the new exhaust i noticed..my front axle was leaking..and i knew it was gonna be a pain so took it over to the neighbors garage and a week and a half later she was done

i dont know what they were thinking when they made the seals inner seals...

here's a pic of it all apart:

Auto part Vehicle Car

while it was apart i replaced the sway bar links and replaced the old rancho steering stabilizer with a new pro comp one..and after all that im still fighting the front end shutter

#12 · (Edited)
oh yea Matt over been pushing him for easy lift options haha.

great start man, that blue is AWESOME, definitely one of my favorites. its good to see that you also focus on repairs as well.as some modding.

I also had no idea you built your own cai! that's sweet. literally that was the sole reason I joined the Z. so :rep:

side note... try photobucket or imageshack, uploads quicker and full size pictures.

thanks for mentioning me haha. I'm just keeping our 2gs in the light.... were bada$$ trucks and we gotta rep! haha

#18 ·
yea im itching for some mud... trucks too clean these days. but ill be down for a couple weeks starting monday, more surgery, so this mod of mine ive been working on is again on the back burner. side note though, i put a red led in it, and WOW was it good looking haha. i guess its all good though cause im still waiting on a key part for it, so installing it halfway wouldnt look good.

#26 ·
well i think i finally got this photobucket thing figured out..maybe

so yesterday was firewood day and for the first time she was fully loaded:

she rode nicer loaded i loved it did 70 down rt 80 no problem i was impressed!

after that it was time to put the new cold air on!

love the new set up and seems to work well

mods this week:
rims(getting picked up tomorrow)
cb w/ antennas
head unit
truck box

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.