22K views 106 replies 72 participants last post by  Titan077 
#1 ·
Nitto Grappler A/T
Nitto Grappler M/T
Toyo M/T
Hankook Dynapro M/T
BFG M/T
Goodyear MT/R

Many question what tires to get. Hope the users of these dominating tire brands can give a little help to us all that look to get bigger tires and don't regret spending all that $$$$ on the wrong ones. Please add a pro/cons to your tires you went with.

#2 ·
I've run the 35" Nitto Mud Graps and have to say that although it is a typically noisy tire on the roads, it is still one of the most aggressive handling and looking to this day. The Toyo A/T II's are a nice looking tire but have yet to save the money for those bad boys. I will say this about the Nittos, even in the pouring rain, wet roads, my confidence level with wet grip in a mud tire was boosted highly and am glad I went with them on my 2006 4x4! .:smileup:

#4 ·
What exactly are you looking at the tire to do? Is this a functional or appearance thing.... or both?

You've got AT's and MT's mixed in the bunch you posted.....

#5 ·
Im looking for the best Functional tire for me. I want to get 35" tires but Want to know how these different types of tires perform. I run on and off road. But Recently have seen that many of the trucks running the streets are running toyo's and nitto mt. Maybe they are just street princesses.

I run the Nitto AT love them, love the ride and quietness on road. But was wondering how the MT's wear over time. Plus I have about 60k on my AT's now and still have enough tread for 10-15k more or so.

#6 ·
Nittos are good tires, but it's hard to beat BFGs. The KM2's are great tires for all off road situations.

I have BFG M/T (KM) on my off roader, a 77 International Scout and they've never let me down. All terrains of any brand tend to cake up easily in any kind of wet dirt. Then, they are just slicks!

I currently run Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx in a 285/70/17 and have been very pleased with them. I don't get off road much (see paragraph above) but when I do, these have done a great job.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...pc=27973&ar=70&rf=true&rd=17&rc=TXAINT&cs=285

#7 ·
I have to toyo at2's in 275/65/20. I only have a few thousand miles on them but so far have been extremely happy. They ride quiet on the hiway. I had them on last winter and the 3ish snowstorms we had I still never needed 4x4. I have not had them out "mudding" so I can't comment on that part. And as far as price goes I was looking at the nitto's locally at discount tire. Mostly because of the price, I went to belle tire to see about price matching and they didn't carry the nitto's but price matched what discount tire was selling the nitto's for with the toyo at2's. They where still expensive, but compared to what I have heard some others pay I feel like I "stole" them lol

#9 ·
I have to toyo at2's in 275/65/20 and love them

#11 ·
Im rolling on some 35" mud Grapplers now and I will never own a different tire as long as I can afford it ha. The noise doesnt bother me, I actually kinda like it and you cant beat the looks. I had some toyo mts before these and i liked them too, just wanted a more aggresive looking tire

#14 ·
I am running the Toyo open country m/t.. 35/12.50/17 and love them. Had them on for probably 8000KM and 0 complains. They have handled all the mud I have ran it through without a single problem. Me and my bud were mudding and he started saying that we were getting slightly stuck and shouldn't the tires get through it better (didn't realize i was still in rwd). Moment i went into 4x4.. Mud just started chucking and I plowed through it all without an issue. As an M/T.. I actually find them to be very quiet compared to most M/T's that I have seen drive by and other peoples vehicles I have been in with M/T's. I would for sure look at getting another set in the future if I get another set of M/T's. Barely noticed any wear either.

#15 ·
Anyone ever run the Fierce MT?

#19 ·
that's what I figured with the Fierce. But 30k is a lot for a lower priced m/t.

#22 ·
I will be putting a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/60/20 on my ram in about a week and will immediately be taking them on a 175 mile drive. I'll give some before and after mpg specs too. Keep in mind it's freaking cold up here in northern mn so my mileage will probably suck regardless. at least the difference between the two should be accurate. I'll also be hauling 4 tires and rims back so I'll have a bit of a load.

#24 ·
Hope you have some pics of your whip when you get done putting those tire on. Would love to see them on her.

#23 ·
On my Nitto AT's I do about 70% highway and 30% mud or rocky terrain. If I had a jeep then all my answers would be solved but for now I am happy with my AT's. I will say that they have seen more concrete than mud in their life.

I like the look of the toyo's and terra MT's but I just wanted to make it clear if they are making that annoying hum while traveling down the highway???

I live in the flat part of TX and don't see much of the rocky terrain of west texas but when I do go there I find myself driving my own truck around. I guess a 4 wheeler or a ATV of some sort would be better to hit those rocky trails with when hunting or just wheeling around than my everyday driver. My MPG with my AT's is about 12-14 top. and with mud it might be lower, but yet again idk that answer.

Im also going to throw on a 4"-6" suspension lift to make her a little taller because I think the Ram looks Dam Sexy with a lift. Haven't made up my mind yet about how tall to go but it will happen in January.

So Tires and wheels are in the mix as well. I just don't want to be dis satisfied like I was when I bought a set of BFG AT's only got 30K out of them, It was a Great tire to have when I was off road and didn't cake up much, but it felt like when ever I did get on the gas that 1/16 of rubber was ripped off as well.

Did this answer your questions Wh1t3nukle?

#26 ·
Those tires will hum. Whether it's annoying to you is a subjective matter. Those of us that got MTs accept that effect. :smileup:

You getting 30K out of BFG ATs is pretty low. I've read that most people average in the high 40s and into the 50s. Lead foot maybe or fall out of balance interval??

Yeah, you answered the questions and I'd recommend some GY Duratracs. Good luck with your decision and happy holidays.

#27 ·
ive had my 35x12.50x18 nitto trail grapps for about 6k now and they pull really well in mud and sand. on back roads i can still get them to break loose and get into a nice slide but not near as well as my AT's did. yet this is also a good thing because you dont always wanna be sliding around! on road they behave very well, with a good alignment she'll shoot straight as an arrow down the road with my hands off the wheel. and about the HUM its just that a hum not a roar. its pretty nice even my girlfriend likes the sound they make. hope this helps in your making your decision.

#28 ·
I have experience with several of the nitto tires....a buddy of mine has been running the nitto dune grapplers for several years now and they are just now woren out. 58k miles on them on a 08' chevy silverado crew cab.

Another friend is running the nitto trail grappler m/t's and they are wearing really well for him as well. He is at 20k miles on them and they are just under 1/2 tread. They are not all that loud either for a m/t tire. He is running them on a nissan titan crew cab.

As for the nitto mud grapplers, I ran them on a lifted f-150 crew cab and got 20k miles out of them. I rotated them routinely and never had anything bad to say about them. They are loud on the highway, but they tear the mud up. A great aggressive m/t tire.

#31 ·
I've ran Nitto Trail Grapplers, Toyo MT, BFG KM2 MT and now Nitto Terra's

Honestly, you need to purchase according to what you'll use your truck more for. I did not off-road at all so I switched for ATs to get a smoother ride, better MPG and minimal humming on the highway.
Other than that BFGs are good. Pricey and wear quicker than Toyo or Nitto.
Nitto Trails look pretty aggressive. They are better in snow over Toyo MT, but Toyo MT are slightly quieter over Nitto Trail. All handle decent mud and off road.
BFGs KM2 have a nice hum to them on the freeway as well

Also, another reason why I switched to ATs...I do quite a bit of city driving with slower speeds and did not like the feeling of rolling on pineapples

In any event, many of the tires you listed are good. so it comes down to how much $$ you want to spend and what you use your truck for

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.